What would you guys class this story as?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
What would you guys class something written in duel time periods, being 1993 and 1966.

The story is about and currently titled Relinquishing the Past - and the plot is basically - In 1966 an unwed and young pregnant girl is sent to an unwed mother’s home run by religious. She doesn’t know until she arrives there, it has been predetermined that she will relinquish her child. The next few months see her brainwashed and coerced to sign adoption papers.

In 1993 the now woman needs to face the impact of the decisions made in her past.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably call that general fiction, not genre fiction, but I'd love to hear what other people think.

paul_in_arlington

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like general fiction to me, Cooee.

What were you thinking the other choices might be? Historical fiction? Probably not. Literary fiction? But that's only if you see a difference between literary and general fiction.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Thank you. I've actually finished the first draft now, and it is only set in 1966. I think it will probably be womens fiction or general fiction. The 1960s are just starting to cross over into the historical period now if take the Historical Society's take on it.

Last edited:

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
Could this become a historical fiction if your characters' stories revolved around certain historical events to some degrees? If that's what you want of course.

aspiring great

Brains!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree it could go either way dependeng on the rest of the information in your story if there is a mjor notable event that the story follows almost throughout (since you're keeping it within a one year period it's not far fetched). Otherwise a story in the 60's without using a major event in the plot is a bit young to be considered historical fiction. Unless the means to brainwash the girl are of the occult I couldnt see it being in anything but gen. fic.
Then again I could be a giant A-whole I am not a seasoned pro more like the passer by's thoughts on it.

Last edited:

paul_in_arlington

Registered
Reaction score
Could this become a historical fiction if your characters' stories revolved around certain historical events to some degrees? If that's what you want of course.

Interesting... Is the commonly accepted definition of historical fiction that it revolves around well-known historical events? Or simply that it takes place back in time and attempts to be historically accurate?

Forrest Gump (sp?) revolves around many famous historical events, but it hardly seems like historical fiction (if it were a novel).

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
It sounds like fiction to me, like many other stories that span two specific time periods. I think 1966 might be too recent for it to be "historical fiction" if it does not involve specific events in history, like the Vietnam War, for example. I can't think of some titles now but I think there are many like that. Marquez and Coelho write like that some times.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of Psychological Suspense, as a classification.

Status
Not open for further replies.