Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

booksinthebelfry

Registered
Reaction score
YES! At least Annabeth is a blonde in this one, but still...they cut whole characters and just miss the whimsy altogether.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
My kids want to see it, so I guess I will. With the first movie, I had them point out all the differences to me. I figure that makes it a pretty good homeschool assignment. We'll probably do that again.

YES! At least Annabeth is a blonde in this one, but still...they cut whole characters and just miss the whimsy altogether.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Planes. Took the kidlets. They enjoyed it, because they're 5. OTOH, I'm not, so I've been grousing about the myriad plot failures ever since.

johndawsonjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3d. The first half of the movie was really good, a nice throwback to the originals, and then the last half bored me into a six day coma.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
So many good cartoon in the 80s. Probably Dungeons & Dragons, or Ulysses.

johndawsonjackson

Registered
Reaction score
It all depends. When I try to watch them now, G. I. Joe still has the best collection of characters. When I think about it, I really enjoyed Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light. I had all the little toys with the holographic chest plates. Pretty sweet.

bexcreativedreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, old cartoons also reveal a lot about the culture of the time. It can be a shock to see how minority societies such as African Americans were misrepresented and demonized. Old cartoons can provide brilliant theme ideas for writing.

Johndawsonjackson, I haven't heard of Knights of the Magical Light...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Transformers, what else would I say :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Muppet Babies, closely followed by Duck Tales. It was pretty amazing, the social references our kids understood, all learned from TV before they could read.

Maryn, fan of well-chosen TV for kids

johndawsonjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, old cartoons also reveal a lot about the culture of the time. It can be a shock to see how minority societies such as African Americans were misrepresented and demonized. Old cartoons can provide brilliant theme ideas for writing.

Johndawsonjackson, I haven't heard of Knights of the Magical Light...
It was a medieval setting, good vs evil. Each knight had a totem animal they could draw from.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
She-Ra: Princess of Power. I recently made my niece and nephew watch the movie with me. They sat through the whole thing. :)

droonfang

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
How about one I loved to hate. Didn't allow my kid to watch Scooby Doo, cause then I had to. Plus I considered it too stupid...sorry if anyone else loved it.
I wished she could've watched some of the good ones I'd seen as a kid...way too long ago...