Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Newness Abides!

(Just bringing it to the new page.)

That one (probably embarrassing) song that you feel compelled to sing whenever you hear it, regardless of where you are. You know the one. You know all the lyrics. You may even dance along as you are singing.

What is it? (Or what are they, if more than one?)

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Yep, that's the one.

:D

The Muppets are tied to so many, many songs for me...
Ha! I would have to say "Mahna Mahna" by the Muppets is a killer. Someone starts singing or humming that one and I'm a goner. I have to finish the blasted song.

LuAnnBraley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
backporchervations.blogspot.com
I can't really think of one in that sense, but I did practically burst into tears listening to a live recording of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" a couple of days ago. My kids are seriously worried about me!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
My ex couldn't listen to that song - it made him depressed.

I've always loved it. Especially enjoy hearing my brother play/sing it. :)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, oh, remembered another one.

The Waterboy's The Whole Of The Moon - the female na-na-na's.

Every. Single. Time.

jmg2010

jmg
Registered
Reaction score
Queen, Somebody to Love

Queen rocked, and every word of this song is so full of meaning it melts my heart and became imprinted on my soul. When it comes on, me and my daughter, when side by side, belt it. I got her convinced at a young age that is against the law to change the station for some of the 'greats', a line she now uses on her own bf! lol

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Doot doo do do do....

BLAST! *Runs hysterically humming "do do do doo" into the night*

Just for that.... Have you heard? The Bird is the Word.

Go watch Family Guy's Peter Griffin version of that very, very annoying song and see if you can ever get THAT out of your head.

*shudders and whispers "doot do do do" to ward off the greater of two evils*

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Mahna Mahna.
I've been told I'm an enabler. Also, this is one of the few songs mentioned I know and can sing.

You are forcing me to go hum this near someone else so it will get stuck in their brain and leave mine. Evil. Most evil indeed...

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score

EmilyKidd

Registered
Reaction score
What's Up by 4NonBlondes. I belt this super loud even though it's at the top of my range, and I pretend to be embarrassed even though I'm not. And if you were born in the 80s and haven't seen the music video, you must look at it now - all the 90s influence you could wish for without the irony!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's Up by 4NonBlondes. I belt this super loud even though it's at the top of my range, and I pretend to be embarrassed even though I'm not. And if you were born in the 80s and haven't seen the music video, you must look at it now - all the 90s influence you could wish for without the irony!

As someone who was in their 20's in the 90's...

Is this the one I think it is? The one big one from them? With the very, very infectious earworm?

*does not google*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Newness Part II, The Prequel to the Sequel

Okay folks, even though it's not quite Monday yet here, I figure it's Monday somewhere, and we might as well do this now.

What is your superstition? (It's perfectly fine to have more than one, but if you've got a whole long list pick the strangest one, or the one that's strongest for you.)

Mine is pennies. Every time I pick up a penny, and yes, I pick them up, I make a quick wish. Carefully, so there is no monkey (paw) business. Just in case.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I make a wish on fallen eyelashes, stuck between my thumb and forefinger. Then I try to guess on which finger the lash will be stuck. If I guessed right, the wish will come true. :)

maceleon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay folks, even though it's not quite Monday yet here, I figure it's Monday somewhere, and we might as well do this now.

What is your superstition? (It's perfectly fine to have more than one, but if you've got a whole long list pick the strangest one, or the one that's strongest for you.)

Mine has to do with deja vu. Anytime I get that feeling where everything around me feels incredibly familiar even though it's impossible for that to be true, and I can say the words that people are going to say before they do or guess at what happens next. I try to either extricate myself from that situation or to do something completely different from what I remember doing in that situation.

I used to feel like I was always avoiding disaster by taking precautions like this when I felt deja vu. Of course the most plausible explanation for this phenomenon is your brain short circuiting so I'm not exactly overjoyed at my frequent deja vu experiences.

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
I hate superstitions.

I'm walking along a street and see a ladder. Someone cleaning windows, painting walls, changing a shop sign, whatever. I have to walk under that ladder. I will go out of my way to walk under that ladder. Call it contra-superstition if you like but I just have to do it.

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score

Mine is pennies. Every time I pick up a penny, and yes, I pick them up, I make a quick wish. Carefully, so there is no monkey (paw) business. Just in case.
I knock on wood every time I feel like I've jinxed myself ("Looks like it's going to be sunny all day!").

I also say "I hate rabbits" when I'm sitting around a campfire and the smoke is blowing in my direction. Seems to work most of the time (or at least I see it that way). :D

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com

Never forget the second banana before a race. It's like second breakfast, only rather than complaining hobbits...this results in potentially a poor showing and an athlete who freaks out like a mad hatter without his banana.

[footnote: this superstition is not one of mine - it's the other, more athletic non-klutz half's. But it is one I live by religiously in order not to laugh and cause a banana tantrum.]