Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((lw and friend)))

Sammy, glad the knee is better.

Have an ETA on when the agent thinks she'll have R notes for me. I'm next in her queue, but she's moving so it'll be about another 3 weeks. Let the whimpering begin.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Dys, you'll appreciate this: I signed up to help with two 3ducur!ous classes. Working with HS students on dystopian fic and mystery fic.

Me... teaching again.

Muahahahaha!

Oh! This sounds very cool. Is this part of a creative writing program? You'll have to let me know more about it and how this is going for you. :)

I'm kind of sad that the English teacher I'm currently working with doesn't have her class read novels (other than independent reading at the beginning of class and an independent reading project they're doing). The more I'm writing for my YA teacher's blog, the more ideas I'm coming up with on how to incorporate YA lit (even if it's just excerpts) into lessons. It's doable, even with more and more standardized objectives.

Vamp dust for great agent notes, Ink! R is an awesome book. So pour yourself a glass of fruity wine and relax. :)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((LWalker's friend)))

(((Ink))) for waiting. Cause it sucks.

All is quiet here so far. Yesterday was absolutely exhausting at the day job AND I had to bring work home. I'm not sure if I slept. So look like this today:
zombi-smiley.gif

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Zombie smiley FTW.

Dys, yes, it's a creative writing program where they recruit experienced writers to mentor the kids.The dystop class is making a short film for their final project. I'm just there to help with worldbuilding and such.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie smiley FTW.

Dys, yes, it's a creative writing program where they recruit experienced writers to mentor the kids.The dystop class is making a short film for their final project. I'm just there to help with worldbuilding and such.

Why did they not have stuff like this when I was in school?? *sulk*

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
That's seriously awesome, Lily. Keep us updated how it went. My students just made character movie presentations about The Canterbury Tales, which actually turned out surprisingly cool (have to admit, Chaucer wouldn't have been my first choice to teach, but the turn out has actually been pretty neat, especially as a lot of students made tons of comparisons to modern characters and there's lots of nerdiness going on.)

I actually never got to do anything related to creative writing in my classes, so that's totally something I'm excited about to get my students to do as a teacher. If I actually get a job when I'm done that is. But here's hoping.

Yay for teachers doing lots of cool new stuff. :)

ETA: It's snowing here. Ick. Fortunately it seems to be the non-sticky kind. I don't mind snow per se, but I hate to drive in it.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink)))

That sounds awesome, Lily.

Dys, your teaching team picked the right woman. Good for you!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning. Repped, but grading papers and it's not pretty. This class has managed to double the number of "F"s I've given in the entire time I've been teaching this class. I'm not pleased. It makes me worry that I screwed up, but I also have high "A"s, as well, so someone must have paid attention. It's an open book test with 2 weeks to complete it. How the hell does someone fail that? And I'm only 1/3 done.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Lily, sounds like fun!

Okay, purgies, I need title help. R's title was taken by another YA book, and although I was hoping that book's title would be changed by the publisher, alas it wasn't. (Why do the publishing gods hate me so? Seriously, who did I piss off, and what sacrifices do I need to make?) Anyway, the sooner I settle on something new, the longer I have to get used to it. :tongue

The story is kind of like Bourne meets Terminator - teen spy with memory loss, robots, evil corporations, genetic experiments, etc. Here's my short list. Those of you who beta'd, I'd especially love your thoughts. Thanks!

Reload (might be too similar to the original that can't be used)

Crash or Crashed

Seven (one of the MC's names)

What We May Be (a fav, but might be too pretentious for the story)

Real Lies (I like the word play with "realize" since uncovering deception is key)

Corrupt or Corrupted (MC frequently referred to as such)

Flawed (ditto)

Flawless

Unstoppable

Blink (too Doctor Who? ;))

I'm also open to suggestions. :)

Last edited:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
((((LW and friend))))

Aw cool Ny :)

Not much here. I have added 1,500 words to ms that agent loved but thought it was to much dialog :) 30 pages down :)

I like real lies

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Yay, Blond & all the other SF Giant fan purgies! Very impressed by the comeback from 3-1 against the defending world champs. Good luck against the Tigers!

Poor JL will now have to deal with "World Series Giants Fan Blondie" which involves a lot of turning off the TV, walking away, walking back and turning it on, muting, peeking through fingers, swearing, frustration and hopefully, tears of joy.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Ink, I like the idea of playing up the computer aspect - it's not something that's out there right now.

Reboot
Reload
Defragment (does anyone actually know what that does?)
Format
Wipe
CTRL
Networked
Automatic Update (yes, I'm perving through my control panel for inspiration...)
Access
Taskbar
Firewall

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Thank you all for all your reps and PM's about my job! Trust me, this is a good thing. In fact, the best possible good thing right now, short of T3N making the list or something equally as unlikely.

Basically, I'll be working part time starting Monday. My boss has decided to keep the business running in a pared down capacity. She signed a 6-month lease on hosted office space yesterday, so basically all I have to do is come in 2 days a week or so and do all the payroll, billing, and admin crap. Oh, and she's going to continue my full benefits.

Yeah, exactly. How could this be better?

Since JL and I are now splitting expenses, even if this PT job only lasts 6 months (I don't anticipate her plan working out quite the way she thinks it will...) by then hopefully JL will have a full time lawyering gig and I can piggyback on his healthcare benefits, and continue on as a full time writer.

Crazy that I do all this just so I have full medical coverage, isn't it?

It's a little scary - I've always worked. Like since I was 12. And the idea of NOT going to a 9-5 is a mix of exciting and terrifying. My goal is to knock out in the next 8-9 months:

- first draft of G3T EVEN
- proposal for revamped version of R3LIC, synopsis plus 6 chapters
- 4 horror short stories which H@rper wants to put on their digital imprint
- second draft of G3T EVEN
- hire an editor for the novel I signed with Ginger on, and hopefully sp that shit
- first draft of R3LIC

Then if I have to get another day job a year from now, at least I'll be slightly ahead of the game.

That's the plan, at least. Oh, that and maybe getting knocked up next year. BOOM! Didn't see that coming, didja?

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, Blond!!! And, uh, whoa and good luck on that one especially!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I've been leaning away from things that are clearly computer-related because a wise Cricket whispered in my ear that too much computer stuff might give away one of the twists.

Status
Not open for further replies.