The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got an email from real estate agent (this is like, the only community in the world where I have to specify, haha) about midnight. There was a lot of blah blah motivated blah blah buyer advantage blah blah, which boiled down to there being another offer, and the seller hating us for wanting, you know, inspections and such.

So yeah, I think I have to flush my little hatchling remodelling goldfish for now, and just look for a place to live before we get kicked out.

Ah well.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yes. That's what OL writes, in fact. (Right, OL?)

I saw my name! So, er, yeah, kinda, maybe, sorta. This next book Soho is putting in their crime line instead of their general fiction line, and I'm not so sure that's how you'd classify it (I think they could go all "young adult" with it if they wanted). But the "literary" tag is basically about letting readers know that this isn't going to be straight genre fiction. There's a quirkiness and a use of narrative and language that creates some subtext, a more "literary" quality to the prose itself. There can be more open-endedness. I don't really know as much about the genre as I should, but it's one of those, "I know it when I see it" deals for me. For instance, I'd put G0ne Gir1 in that category. That's where Kate Atk1ns0n generally lands and there's a bunch of others. Ruth Rende11's been doing it for decades.

RAB, feel free to email me if you want to discuss further.

Oh, I have a big box of ARCs. If anyone here would like one who is doing promotional, bookstore or reviewing kinds of things, let me know. No obligation to review of course.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Clovia, let him hate. Trust me, it's not over. Even if the other buyer (if there even is one) doesn't want an inspection (which makes him/her a really stupid buyer) it doesn't mean the deal will happen. As far as odds go, it probably won't, for a myriad of reasons.

Sit tight chica. This still has a lot of opportunity to work out. :)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Clovia, let him hate. Trust me, it's not over. Even if the other buyer (if there even is one) doesn't want an inspection (which makes him/her a really stupid buyer) it doesn't mean the deal will happen. As far as odds go, it probably won't, for a myriad of reasons.

This.

(((((Becky))))) I do think Amarie and Haupe are onto something, re Lisa's stories. Literary Thriller does seem to fit the bill where your writing is concerned. You may want to point your agent in the direction of Lisa's books. I hate it when agents fall victim to pigeon hole-itis. I hate that the publishing industry likes to try and shove things into neat little genre slots. It makes for some very samey reading.

I got nothing. Have a freebie edit to do for a charity anthology, then I'm writing. We're treating ourselves to an Indian takeaway tonight.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
D. has a friend that hadn't seen any Star Wars movies as of the time of Episode 3 hitting theaters, so since he was out here visiting at the time, we had him sit through the movies in story chronology starting with Ep 1 and showing him 4, 5, and 6 after going to the theater for 3. It was really interesting to see someone's reactions to the story presented this way since the rest of us knew 4/5/6 first. His reaction to Ben's answer to "How did my father die?" was priceless.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I was a Star Wars nerd when I was very young. I have almost the complete set of the original figures. Unfortunately, none are in the packaging, but they are all in good condition.

I'm sure you can imagine how funny it was that I was also the vampire nerd. I do remember playing with the figures and making Han Solo a vampire. *snort*

Excited there are fights tonight. Also excited that it looks very probable that I will be in an anthology of short stories pubbed through the pub for S0rrow's P0int.

Back to the crochet hole I go...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
morn' purgs. poking my head in to give hugs and chocci and cheers.

been busy trying to sell my cottage. third time, and three times that buyers' loans have fallen through. ugh.

also busy with kidlet and the kritters.

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheer up Clovia. If they don't want an inspection done that is a huge alarm bell. I'm sure you'll find somewhere better :)

Just getting home from work. It was a painful journey in with all the trains cancelled but the busses still running. Which stuck me with a bus driver who mistakenly thought he was in the Indy 500. Even with all the snow on the roads. The phrase "I'm going to die" popped into my head more than once...

But, hoorah, I am home wrapped in flannel fluffiness and a warm duvet contemplating whether to read or write the love scene I have in my head for my current WIP.

Speaking of which - thank you very much Fire for your recommendation. It helped more than I can say. I learned loads.

Para, your coffee date sounds lovely :)

((Jo))

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
sammy - yay for anthologies!

Clovia - hope it works out :/

fire - Indian is my favourite takeaway. I'd be jealous if I hadn't just eaten a massive chicken burger

Argh snow. I stupidly tried to drive to work and when I was sliding everywhere I turned back and went home. Sure does look pretty, even if our snowman's face has melted so he looks like the Joker now :(

My housemate hasn't seen any Star Wars so we're trying to persuade our Star Wars fanatic friend to bring his DVDs over for a marathon :D

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning Purgs!

Just thought I'd stick my head in and bestow some hugs. :e2grouphu

Day started out okay and now I'm majorly freaked out about financial stuff. Joy. Got to love it when all of your effort comes back to bite you in the ass.

Anyway, hope you have a good weekend, all.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

i was not a star wars nerd.
i was trying to learn english. ha!

clovia, bummer!! =(
i know how invested you get when
you fall in love with a home. still, i think
it is an exciting time if that is in the near
future! (more house hunting.)

gotta pick up my taiwanese goodies
and get ready for LA signing!
i'm hoping 10 people show. wish me
luck, puglets! ha

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The day closes out somber for me. A member of my family is suffering from the worst emotional blow that anyone can be expected to face. Despite all my working with words, I can think of nothing to say that won't sound horribly clichéd or patronising. So, no 'he's gone to a better place' or 'he's with god now', because I've never bought into that and have found that it rarely comforts anyone.

What I feel I can do is remind people to love and value who you have because in just one moment, in the blink of an eye, they could be gone. I can't imagine the emptiness that would leave behind.

I didn't know my cousin's husband well, but I spent every day of my childhood with my cousin. And I know this for sure - she did not deserve this heartache, and whatever cruel power caused this to come about is nothing more than a coward and a bully....

I probably should stop there before I anger someone.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*crawls into the light*

Stomach flu is of the devil. I'm at about 70% now.

Missed you all. Won't even begin to try to catch up. I ate food for the first time in 3 days. My stomach is trying to argue with me now.

Apparently VT is shipping. Man, that's early. I'm still not up to going to a B&N to see if it's in stores. I managed to buy groceries today, and the sun did not burn me to ash.

When I checked mail today, I got two website contacts. One was a compliment about BitH, and the other was a complaint. She informed me that she is upset that the e version of VT won't be available till Feb. 8, and wants me to "do everything I can" to make it available sooner, because my e readers are impatient. It made me smile.

If there's any news, could y'all rep me? I'm only checking in and dealing with a gazillion emails, then I'm shutting down again.

Also, I see we're past 22K posts, so tomorrow or Monday I''ll be closing this volume and starting Vol. 8.

Love you all.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
You know what's really fun? Calling your parents, because you just need to talk things out and only reaching your father who laughs at you. Thanks, parents. Really. I want to throw something. Ugh.

Sorry about the rant everyone, but things are looking decidedly crappy for the next little while. Good thing I'm fat and need to lose weight anyway, because casa Dys will be poor.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Clovia, that really sucks about the house. Really hoping something either changes or something else will come up. Fingers crossed for the search of a new Clovenhaus!

Cindy, have fun!

Lily is aliiiiive! *tackle-hugs* So sorry about the crud. Hope you'll shrug off all the ick soon.

And yay for VT shipping!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's what I thought, but we haven't gotten a counter offer.

It's an estate sale, and was left to the seller by her dad, so I think she's just trying to dump it off with as little fuss as possible, while still reaping the financial benefits of it being located in the Historic District. She has to deal with the estate lawyer, the buyer's agent, etc--an As-Is sale would be fine if it remains an office, but not if it's to be a residence again.

All hope is not gone, but I kinda wish it were, haha, so it won't be so disappointing. Poor Clifford.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
After working on this all morning and enlisting the help of my husband, I now have a Game of Thrones ringtone. ;) (I've got an android phone - no idea why they make this so hard!)

Lily, welcome back and a quick recovery to you!!!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Lily! Hope you recover soon. Stomach bugs are the devil's own.

Enjoyed our Indian takeaway even if the chicken was a bit on the tough side. Now watching 'The Iron Lady'. Meryl Streep is amazing. She totally nailed Margaret Thatcher, gestures, voice, incredible.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
Lily - hope you feel better :/

Woo for Game of Thrones ringtone!

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're still getting snow. We might be buried in tomorrow morning :p

I'm waiting to phone my cousin until tomorrow to offer condolences. I think she will most likely not be ready to talk to anyone today. So sad. He was only around 35.

In the meantime I'm keeping myself busy. Would anyone care to be a guinea pig for me on a not-quite love scene that I have in my current WIP?

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
(((Dys)))

Lily! Good to see you. Feel better!

Cindy - good luck and have fun!

Clovia - happy house hunting and good luck! Exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.