What is the going rate right now...

kkosach

Registered
Reaction score
for a good editor. One who has edited more than one book that's hit the charts?

I've gotten everything from $700 to $3000. Is $3000 unheard of for a book that's already completed but could use some doctoring (not a total rewrite).

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Keeping in mind that I'm speaking if you're going to have the book edited for the purpose of self-pubbing, $700 is dirt cheap. $3,000 is average. I probably wouldn't pay over $5,000. Of course the book would be finished. An editor can't really do any sort of substantive edit if it isn't. :Shrug:

If you're shooting for commercial publishers, I wouldn't suggest paying for editing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
for a good editor. One who has edited more than one book that's hit the charts?

I've gotten everything from $700 to $3000. Is $3000 unheard of for a book that's already completed but could use some doctoring (not a total rewrite).
I would expect to pay somewhere in the region of $1500 - $3500, depending on length, genre, and level of editing needed.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the editing and length, I would say anywhere north of $2000 for a reputable editor would be a good deal.

Just a word of warning: Make sure the editor has their credentials. A degree, some sort of understudy experience, and hard experience is favorable. I've come across a lot of "editors" both in real life and online--some here, not naming names--that I would not trust to edit my shopping list, let alone my novel. These folks might have some experience and offer "cheap" rates, but they don't come close to what real editors can do.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's no point paying a cheap rate for an editor who doesn't have the skills required to do a good job.

I don't think $3,000 is much considering the work and skill that goes into it.

But bear in mind that charging a high price doesn't make someone a good editor. I've seen people with no experience or skills charge ridiculously high fees, and it's not good. Make sure that you check out all the editors you find.

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
$2000 got me an excellent structural edit from an ex Big 6 editor who now freelances. Worth every penny.