FebNoWriMo!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
You'll get through it, SM! :)

Make that seven things on my to-do list. :tongue Two scholarship applications, two English readings, a one page paper proposal, Friday's Japanese homework, and the barely-counting correcting Wednesday's Japanese homework. I feel like there's a 50-page essay due sometime during the week that no one told me about because I should be far busier than this...

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Cruising right along here... One of those scholarship applications is finally done (and a rather large one at that), so I'm down to two English readings, one scholarship, one essay proposal, one Japanese assignment, and the barely-counting correcting one Japanese assignment. (And a partridge in a pear tree...)

I'll probably do all of the readings tomorrow. Who knows about the rest. :tongue I still feel like I should be missing something... But I'm not...

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My English professor just posted our very labor-intensive assignment that is due next Friday. Since I have almost nothing to do this week, I have plenty of time to work on it. :D Sweet!

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I was wrong with my "Exactly 1 week till Uni" statement. I checked my timetable, and I don't start till the Tuesday. No Monday classes - which means I'll have a 3-day weekend every week! :D (I'll be there Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.)

Hooray!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Even better, Cliff. :tongue

Down to four things: one scholarship, the essay proposal, Friday's Japanese homework, and the barely-counting correcting Wednesday's Japanese homework. Not bad. Not bad at all. I think I'm going to start putting the next week's assignments on my list just to give myself something to work on. ;)

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
You'll get through it, SM! :)

Thanks but it's certainly not feeling like it. :Shrug:

I did get work done. But I feel like I got nothing done at the same time. I still feel like I have a lot of stuff left to do. I feel so much pressure and just....weight. I'm trying not to. Honest. But....it's just all piling on me and I feel like I can't stop it. :cry: :cry: I don't know what to do. :flag:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
One step at a time. That's the best advice I can give, and which I try to use on myself when studying is getting to be too much.

The degree will end eventually, and some periods will be easier than others, giving the illusion of rest and recuperation. It's a marathon - sometimes you're going fast, sometimes slower, but few people finish a marathon by stopping altogether.

(Did I just use a metaphor? Oh no, I must be a writer or something! :tongue)

But yes. One step at a time. And if you're still feeling overwhelmed, take that next step you have to do and break it down into even smaller steps, until you're feeling a bit better. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
What Cliff said. :) We've been there, and the stress pile will end eventually. Make a checklist. Prioritize by deadline and/or size of project. Keep ticking those boxes off until they're gone. Not only will it help you keep track of what to do, but you can physically see that you HAVE made progress. You can do it. :)

~Amber~

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Nanos, is anyone else thinking about doing the Beta Project?

I should have two MS completed, though not fully edited, shortly, and I'm trying to decide if I'm joining. I know feedback is important, but I'm usually very selective about who I'll show writing to.*

Folks are so wonderful on AW, I am very tempted... but then I'd have to decide which to make people suffer through... I don't know.

Anyone else joining in?

*Agents/etc are different, because they're professionals. I just mean people-people.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, too.

It comes at a good time because I'm in the middle of a fresh editing pass through my first novel. I did a good bit of beta reading over the past two weeks and since I'm now hyper-aware of errors, I thought the time was right - and bingo! caught myself in a POV error right off the bat. Only eight chapters in and I've cut the word count by nearly 300. Just goes to show you can always make it tighter.

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I'm now down to the research proposal, the scholarship application, and Friday's Japanese homework.

I just checked out eight books from the library to help me write a 5 to 7-page paper. I guess it's better to go overboard than to do too little...

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I got an A- on my psych paper!! :D I was expecting like a C... Most of the time I didn't feel like I knew what I was talking about. Oh well!

~Amber~

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
The End.
It's DONE.
At long last, the first draft is finished! I have two missing scenes that I know of (both fell in the gap between nano- and non-nano writing) but otherwise, it's all there! On the page!

:snoopy:

Thank goodness. I was so ready to be done.
Now, print this, print the other WIP, evaluate work, and get one ready for Beta Swap.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Coffee! And congrats Vamp! :D

5 days of freedom left here... Probably won't be doing anything special with these 5 days. Although... I will admit that I've watched a heck of a lot of Seinfeld episodes in the past 5 or 6 weeks... The show is 9 seasons, and I'm about 1/4 the way through season 8 now. So maybe I should try to finish that off before Uni starts?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Amber and CoffeeBeans! Cliff, enjoy those five days!

As of tonight, the show I'm working on is "frozen." In show biz parlance, that means the creatives (composer, lyricist, librettist, director, choreographer, etc.) can no longer make any changes to the script, score or staging.

I have such a small role that the changes rarely affect me (in fact, I haven't been called to rehearse at all this week), but it will be good to perform the piece the same way a couple times running so we can find our groove before critics start showing up this weekend.

Meanwhile I keep on editing. I've carved more than 1k words out of my m/s and rewrote a sequence that's never been quite right. Once I finish, I need to re-read it, just to check for mistakes I made while editing, and then on to the next part of the series. It's not really writing, but since either (a) my agent will be starting a new round of submissions, or (b) I'll be looking for a new agent, a leaner manuscript will be a good thing to have ready.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
One step at a time. That's the best advice I can give, and which I try to use on myself when studying is getting to be too much.

The degree will end eventually, and some periods will be easier than others, giving the illusion of rest and recuperation. It's a marathon - sometimes you're going fast, sometimes slower, but few people finish a marathon by stopping altogether.

(Did I just use a metaphor? Oh no, I must be a writer or something! :tongue)

But yes. One step at a time. And if you're still feeling overwhelmed, take that next step you have to do and break it down into even smaller steps, until you're feeling a bit better. :)

What Cliff said. :) We've been there, and the stress pile will end eventually. Make a checklist. Prioritize by deadline and/or size of project. Keep ticking those boxes off until they're gone. Not only will it help you keep track of what to do, but you can physically see that you HAVE made progress. You can do it. :)

~Amber~

Thanks guys; I'm trying. It's still hard and difficult. But I think I'm getting there. I hope so anyway.

--

More homework. More stuff to do. But I'm glad it's the weekend.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Slightly belated February final check-in :)

Goals for February:

*Finish my 4 important scholarship applications ON TIME 3/4, but the one I didn't do is now due March 21st so it's okay :)
*Read at least 3 books I think I read closer to like 5 or 6, but I lost count. Either way, I am positive I read more than 3 :tongue
*Write at least 5k I came closer to like 2k, but 2k is better than 0k
*Complete 5 of my Day Zero goals 6/5 :D Yay!
*Stay on top of school work/not die during my midterms *checks pulse* yup, still working. :tongue Check!
*Play video games I'm pushing it by including the Flappy Bird competition with my brother, but it IS a game *shrug*

Pretty good overall. :) I'm satisfied. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The part I'm most ashamed about is that I broke a guitar string in January, and I still haven't put the new one on... *hides face in shame*

Seriously, I enjoy playing - but hate changing strings and doing all that obligatory tuning and such. It's kind of like having a really awesome electronic device, and then putting it on charge and not using it except to read the User's Guide that pops up at the start. :tongue

Or something. Maybe I'm just too lazy for my own good. Although I imagine I'll eventually change it over, because playing guitar is great stress relief during Uni, which starts in a couple of days for me.