AugNoWriMo!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A nice quiet day to myself. Up and over the halfway mark, and with luck, my next few days may be equally productive. I may make my August writing goal yet!

6,010 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Still only on page 40 in A Summons to Memphis, but I usually read right before I go to bed.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go everyone!

I've run my out-of-the-house errands for the day already, so all that's left is homework. Though I've added something to the list: a reading that I thought I couldn't access during this past week. I managed to get a copy, so I need to read that.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read that article, listened to the lecture, and then wrote about 1500 words, completing the first draft of this paper for workshopping. Well, actually, it's about 100 words too long, but eh - I need to edit it anyway. And I'm only workshopping a small part of it.

But that's me done for the day.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another good day.

7,313 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 59 in A Summons to Memphis.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Going home last week really threw me off my stride and I'm still having a tough time getting my words in. I notice that when I lose momentum it's difficult to get it back. I'm going to hopefully finish act one by the end of this week, then take a few days off to fully plot out act two before going back to writing.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I've been super busy reading this month.

I also realized I just left the library book I wanted to return at home. And I'm already here. Oops.

Oh well. It's not due for another week anyway. :tongue

I decided I wanted to try running on Friday. I haven't done any sort of strenuous exercise since PE in high school (if you can call that "strenuous" since I usually wimped out of every activity and ended up walking the track day after day...), but after the first couple days of sore legs I'm actually starting to get the hang of it. I made a full mile in 9 minutes 53 seconds yesterday, and I don't feel all that sore today, which is nice.

I also feel very frustrated right now because the bus from my hometown back home is changing for the fall. And they ONLY changed the exact bus I take. It's going to take me over half an hour longer to get home just so they can serve stops that no one actually uses. Not happy.

Meh... Not sure what I want to do right now... I suppose I should go find something to do.

~Amber~

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well this weekend has been a roller coaster. Only got about 200 words since my last check in.

Got hit by a car while riding my bike. Hit and run.

Then after 20 subs and almost insta rejection on 12 of them, I got a partial and a full request in the past 3 days!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
This weekend was bad, was busy with my partner, then a migraine hit, still waiting for that one to leave :(

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jorodo and Forbidden Snowflake: hope you are both okay!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig, go get that month goal! :D

Going home last week really threw me off my stride and I'm still having a tough time getting my words in.

C'mon, get back in stride. You're the rabbit I'm chasing! Those words aren't going to write themselves. :Hug2:

Ack, Jorodo! I hope you're okay! Drivers are crazy. My BF has gotten hit on his bike a couple times. It scares the heck out of me. He's never gotten worse than a few bumps and bruises. I hope you're as lucky!

Hope things get better, Forbidden Snowflake

I have either eight or nine scenes left in the WIP. I'm right at the "boom, and yay, and then everything ends!" So. Many. Doubts. I'm worried about my pacing, and if the fact that the MC is only involved in the climax from a distance, and everything else I had planned will actually work. I know these are all questions for revision, but why not worry about them now? :cry:

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm banged up but nothing is broken. Very mild concussion and some road rash.

I hate migraines, hope your feeling better soon forbidden snowflake.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
jorodo - glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured. Although the person should have stopped!

I sent out some of my WIPs to some betas to see how I should take the story next. (I start when they're not complete yet.) I am sooo happy with the feedback I've been getting. I think I just got my favorite feedback ever: "Their relationship gave me warm fuzzies and made me want to keep reading." It's that "warm fuzzies" part that makes me especially happy. :) And dang, she finished critiquing it in only a couple of days. Definitely a keeper!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not so much written today, and while the scene I wrote was sort of sweet, I realized as I was writing it that it's probably extraneous material and could easily be cut. Ah, well. Sometimes you just have to write out the scene to know for sure that it's unnecessary.

7,792 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 82 in A Summons to Memphis (a little bit less than halfway through the book)

One nice development: I've been wanting a little getaway to do some writing and enjoy some down time once my current production closes, so today I booked three days at a writers' retreat in central Virginia (The Porches in Norwood, VA, in case anyone's interested). After that I'll visit a sister of mine in North Carolina, then head to Hatteras Island for some beach time. I haven't had any time off since last October and no real vacation for nearly two years, so I'm really looking forward to this. Only downside is that my husband will be working on a special project at work so he can't get away with me - then again, I probably wouldn't write if I was on vacation with him.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've edited the CNF piece, and wound up going with the opening section for workshopping. It's unfortunate that we can only workshop 750 words of a 2500-word piece, but it would be too much for students to critique 5 of those per week while everything else is going on...

Anyway, need to post that soon, then I'll get on to the readings. I still need to work on a short exercise, but I think I'll do that tomorrow or on the weekend.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Migraine left. Good riddance. Hate those things, have them quite regularly as well :(

So today, back to writing!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that drinking Mountain Dew helps alleviate them. I don't know personally, as I don't get migraines, but you might try that.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I heard that drinking Mountain Dew helps alleviate them. I don't know personally, as I don't get migraines, but you might try that.

I've tried coffee, coffee with lemon, ice packs, massages, pain killers, sleep, lots of fluid, cold shower, hot shower, a bath, more pain killers.

What somehow helps a little bit is eating a raw chilli pepper. The heat makes my head want to explode, but usually it's not good enough for it to go away. But it helps and then my tongue hates me!

I will try Mountain Dew, never heard of that method.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried coffee, coffee with lemon, ice packs, massages, pain killers, sleep, lots of fluid, cold shower, hot shower, a bath, more pain killers.

What somehow helps a little bit is eating a raw chilli pepper.

I get migraines too, though thankfully maybe only six or eight a year. Caffeine is effective for me (usually in the form of a double shot of espresso, with sugar), and an ice pack over might right eye. Other than that, just sleep. I find eating (not that I want to when I have a migraine) helps too.

If you get them frequently, talk to your doctor! A friend of mine did, and she went from having three or four a month to using medication, and having one every few months.

I have surprise writing time this morning. My work schedule was changed, from a 7a in time, to an 11a in time. Best make the most of it!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I tried and tried and tried. Early morning writing just ins't for me! I was useless until pretty much 9a. Got four false starts on the scene, ended up completely frustrated, and then worked it out with barely an hour to write.

Just under 1K, and a scene heading the right direction, but so frustrating to waste so much time... :rant:

I'm going to hammer through the rest of that scene today, and just remember to not try to make any decent words before 9a or so...

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up focused on finishing a 120k editing pass, editing 1 short story, and pushing through UF novel's first draft. The 120k will be a tight finish on Sunday, and I hope to send the short out tomorrow. I've added 13k to the UF and I'm at the 1/3 mark now. I'm going to a con tomorrow, so no clue if I'm gonna pull off a win this month.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Due to errands and appointments, I had only an hour's worth of writing time today, but managed to bash out just under 375 words (which is actually pretty fast, for me).

8,165 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Page 89 in A Summons to Memphis

I may make that August writing goal yet! Not so sure about finishing that second book...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just did all my readings for next week's classes. It took less time than I thought it would - only about 3 hours. So yay!

Need to work on some assignments for the rest of the day, I think. Then tomorrow I need to critique the other students' CNF pieces.