Anyone camping in April?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Anyone else planning on doing the Camp NaNoWriMo event next month?

I've signed up for my first one. I'm starting the draft of a new novel next month anyway, so I might as well harness that NaNoWriMo energy that's helped me win the November event eight times now.

My goal will be 35k, so a bit more relaxed than the madness of November. But once I get started my crazy competitive spirit might kick in and make me start upping the stakes. :D

So who's camping? What's your goal?

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Yes!

Username is the same here. Goal is 35k, but I may up it. Ideally I'd like to finish my WIP draft. It's in the early chapters, so I may up my goal to as much as 50k - depending on my progress by the end of this month.

airship wreck

Ignoring plot carp
Registered
Reaction score
I'm camping! I'm not sure about my goal yet. I may be finishing one project and starting another depending on how much I get done this month.

My username is the same as here, minus the space. I've got a cabin already, but feel free to plug my name in and see if you can get in on it, if you don't mind a bunch of twentysomethings from Florida.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am doing it as well, also to use that extra kick that Nano seems to provide. I am trying to finish up a WIP and am at the tail end, so I am going for 30k. This is a complicated story, so it'll be slow going, so I don't anticipate finishing early or adding some more word count later in the month.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I just signed up. The last time I did Camp NaNo, it was harder to follow what anyone else was doing outside my cabin, and even though I requested a friend to be in my cabin and she me, we were not put in the same cabin.

Even so, I am koneko over there.

I will be writing the sequel to my superhero book, Hero/Villain.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, too. April is going to be batshit for me, so I'm giving myself an easy 20k goal. I'm writing the third book in my fantasy series. I'm also mrsmig over at Camp NaNo.

Greene

Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand* Me! I'm amaliegreen over there, too. This is my first time doing Camp NaNo, and I haven't been assigned to a cabin yet. I'm interested to see how this works. I've set a 50k goal, even though I start a new job April 1, because I'm obviously crazy.

Best of luck to all of y'all!

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm in - same name as here. I'm going for 30k and trying to finish my current WIP, although looking at my progress this month I think I'll need a lot more than 30k before I can write 'the end'.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Yes, lots of campers! :)

I'm plotting away furiously now. The basic outline is done, just filling in the gaps and working on the characters right now. I love outlining.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! Just have to decide which of my two ShinyNewIdeas I want to use. Decisions, decisions...

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nertz. I got my cabin assignment and I don't think there are any AWers in it. Looks like Camp NaNo set up our cabin by word count - everyone in it has a 20k-ish goal. Ah, well. Looking forward to sharing the experience!

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I signed up last night, under this same screen name- my first NaNo. I have an idea for a novel, and always wondered when I would take time to write it, but now I am thinking I might wait until November for that. Because, when I signed up, I noticed nonfiction is an option this time (April), when usually this is limited to novels. I have some nonfiction I really need to write but have not, so I am trying to decide if I should use April to force me to get it done instead. I imagine I would then be in a cabin mostly alone with my non-novel self, but I will be cheering you all on anyway :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I requested two people. One probably didn't join, and the other was an AWer who I know requested me :hi: Last time I did Camp NaNo, they ignored my requests too, but this time I knew to ONLY request specific people, not a backup genre or whatever the other categories were, which they also ignored last time. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything with requests.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I've got three stories I want to work on, though only one is brand new. :)

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I didn't request any specific genre or cabin mates, so I am getting a bunch of surprises. My goal is 50k or better. I am really hoping it is as much fun as it looks, and will do my best to be active with everyone there, when I am not writing/working. Good luck to everyone! And yeah, same screen name there.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I always opt out of cabins, I'm just a hermit like that (even while camping!)

Currently, my goal is 50k, though I'm permitting myself to adjust down as needed. I'm far less strict with myself for the camps than I am for November.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Although I have a current WIP, i am seriously considering shelving it for the month and starting on another story that has been banging at the creative door, to see if I can't give fantasy a go. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to go from zombie apocalyptic stuff to swords and sorcery, as I am a big fan of both genres.
I'm torn between the two...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I switched cabins, and I got placed into one where everyone is so much older than me, but it's nice because I feel more of a connection with them. Plus, the majority of them are in the same genre as mine. I feel at home now. :D

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I got my cabin assignment. All new people to me, and we seem to be grouped by age, but I may be wrong. This is my first time at NaNo. I set a low word count (10,000- I didn't realize it when I set it but it was their lowest allowed) but I also stuck with nonfiction. I really need to put BIC so this will help me do it.

And, I am hoping to do a suspense novel idea of mine in November, so it is cool to see many in my cabin doing mystery/suspense. I have always been a detailed planner, and dreaming up the characters in my mind and adding and changing the concept could keep me from ever trying to get a first draft done (nothing written on it, just a novel I have been wanting to write for years). So, I am hoping to learn the process as I watch all you novel writers doing NaNo for the high word counts, to see if it is really for me. If nothing else, I need a goal and one of those ticker factory counters when I start it!
For now, I am excited to finally do a NaNo- they added nonfiction for us for April, wahoo! :)

Last edited: