Rejectomancy

YellowHat

Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection letter from an Italian agent who works abroad as well who I emailed on Monday. It was along the line: Thanks for having submitted us your work, I had time to read it but I think we can't represent that well the fiction genre of your manuscript.
So I guess it's not the book in itself but the genre (it's a new weird)? Or is it just a polite way to tell me they don't like it? Although on their website it says they accept all kind of genres. *shrugs*

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
YellowHat: some genres need different contacts in the publishing world which that particular agent may not feel they have. (This is why there are plenty of agents who rep commercial fiction who will not look at SF/F or horror; they just don't have the right contacts to be able to sell it effectively.)

And for me, a 64 personal R from M. David Blake for the December special edition of Stupefying Stories. Some good feedback and an invitation to try him with something else if I want to.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
And for me, a 64 personal R from M. David Blake for the December special edition of Stupefying Stories. Some good feedback and an invitation to try him with something else if I want to.

Sorry to hear about the R. I also have a story out at the Stupefying Special, though I'm only at day 45. At least it was a favorable rejection. I hope you have another story to submit.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got my Igms rejection today too, signed "the editors." In the 80's.

Aggy, condolences! I'm at 62 days right now. :eek:

ETA: 133-day Form honorable mention from WotF for a lightly humorous sci-fi fantasy.

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
11 days form from ASIM - trunk for now.
2 days form from Shadows & Tall Trees - resubbed.

Still waiting on some of my newer stories, that are probably better, but I'm still very fond of some of my older stories.

Can anyone point me to that thread about when to give up on older stories? I can't remember where it was posted.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the Rs everyone, especially the ones that were held for a long time.

Congrats on the HM, Marzioli - I know it's not a win, but to me that still means its a decent story, and there's also the matter of fit, even for WoTF. Do they go for light humour?

Aislinn, here's the thread about older stories: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8294668#post8294668

Starting from post #3207.

I am circulating older stories that I still like and think might fit at the right place, but I have trunked the odd story when I ended up feeling I didn't want it published.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the HM, Marzioli - I know it's not a win, but to me that still means its a decent story, and there's also the matter of fit, even for WoTF. Do they go for light humour?
Thanks! I'm not sure what they think of humor. I sent them a light humor sci-fi before and it ended up taking a semi-finalist slot. So he's definitely not against it. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Congratu-condolences on the HM, Samuel. Sorry it wasn't a finalist, but HM is pretty distinguished in a field that big!

For me, 31-day personal from BCS.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
4-day form R from Nightmare.

Sorry on the Rs, all.

Marzioli -- Congrats.
Aislinn -- If you still like the stories, I'd say keep going.

Quite a few semi-pro markets put out quality work and get read for Best-of anthos, so even if you get to the end of the top-paying options, there may yet be good homes for them. New anthos and theme issues pop up all the time, so there are always new options for finding the right fit. Persistence furthers sayeth the I Ching.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
21-day form R from Strange Horizons. I'm a little bit relieved, TBH, because I got some good feedback from my local writers group and I want to make some changes before submitting it again (I'm thinking Shimmer will be it's next port of call).

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
16-day R from DSF, again with a PS - "A tough decision." Arrg - hope I crack this market someday.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I am pretty sure one agent, who shall remain nameless, has his e-mail auto reply set to send a form rejection. That's not a bruised ego, it literally came in within 10 seconds of my hitting send (despite claiming to have "carefully reviewed" my query). I mean, if you're closed to queries, fine. But don't say you are carefully reviewing them and have an auto response reject.

Ironically, I queried one agent in the same batch who has announced she is not taking unsolicited submissions and she said "but I have to admit, yours is tempting me" and requested a full.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
16-day R from DSF, again with a PS - "A tough decision." Arrg - hope I crack this market someday.

You'll get there!! I'm trying too.

Mooky McD, how odd, or perhaps he has an assistant who is screening out by genre/word limit? (Unless he has a dedicated submissions address, it would be weird to set auto-reply to rejection). Still seems unprofessional though.

Sorry for the other recent Rs.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I am pretty sure one agent, who shall remain nameless, has his e-mail auto reply set to send a form rejection. That's not a bruised ego, it literally came in within 10 seconds of my hitting send (despite claiming to have "carefully reviewed" my query). I mean, if you're closed to queries, fine. But don't say you are carefully reviewing them and have an auto response reject.
Having read countless pages of agent blogs, I can say there's a chance the agent DID consider your query in 10 seconds. They have only to scan your cover letter and if it doesn't jump out at them, *click/paste/send*. Most agents don't read sample chapters unless they really like the query, and they're trained to work fast.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, I queried one agent in the same batch who has announced she is not taking unsolicited submissions and she said "but I have to admit, yours is tempting me" and requested a full.

Well, I'd say that more than made up for the other agent! Congrats on the request for a full.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
77-day form R from Apex for the shortlisted story. [Insert dirge here] Had the 'hope to see more from you line' from the new editor. It was my first submission there, so I'm not sure what their Rs usually look like, but the language was pretty standard.

10-day personal R from Chiral Mad 2. He said he read it a few times and it's a great story but "a bit too sci-fi" for his book. The story's pretty alternative so it's not a likely fit for the usual markets.

Sorry for the Rs, all. Eliza, I expect to see you in DSF soon!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Batspan, and sorry to hear about your recent Rs, especially the 2nd round Apex one. Better luck at the next market.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
77-day form R from Apex for the shortlisted story. [Insert dirge here] Had the 'hope to see more from you line' from the new editor.

Batspan sorry about that one, I feel your pain. But a change of editors must result in a lot of rejections (clearing the desk) and it's great you got the 'more please' line from the new ed.

I got a 50 day form from Vine Leaves, also with a 'please feel free to submit in future'. I'm not sure if that's basic form or slightly higher tier, but I'm not really fussed either way.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
12 day higher tier from Clarkesworld and 52 day regular rejection (I presume) from Upgraded. Got two Rs from Neil within 24 hours!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
12 day higher tier from Clarkesworld and 52 day regular rejection (I presume) from Upgraded. Got two Rs from Neil within 24 hours!

That's interesting. I had thought they might be holding off on all responses until after submissions close.

Edited: Upgraded, I mean.