MayNoWriMo - This time it's personal!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I've totally had a cabin for Camp NaNo for the past few days and I just noticed. ._. One of my cabin mates posted two days ago, and the others haven't posted yet... If they're anything like me, I'm assuming they haven't noticed yet. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. Good luck with that Bettie! I trunked a novel because I didn't want to do a rewrite.

In other news, on a conservative estimate, I need about 91% for my Philosophy essay to get an A for the class overall. Same as my English essay... Damn!

My other Philosophy class, though, I only need like, 75% on the exam to get an A overall.

I guess I better get cracking on those essays! (Yes, I've been saying that for days... My will power is zilch right now.)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Progress! I just read a 5k-word article for my English essay, and mined it for 1k of quotes. It'll be shortened even more when I pick and choose what's most relevant, but it's PROGRESS! Wheee!

I think I need to find another article though... This one wasn't as focussed as I thought it'd be.

And then I can start doing the real prep work for actually writing the essay. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Add another 300 words of quotes. :)

This time, they're actually focussed on Lady Macbeth, and not just Lady Macbeth's role regarding Lord Macbeth like the first article.

And you know what helps? When I found the article, the search term "Macbeth" was highlighted all throughout. The article was actually longer than the first one, but I just had to look for the red highlighted bits, and see which ones had "Lady" before them, and mine it for quotes that way. :tongue

Hooray for time-savers!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Woohoo! I think I finally worked through my problem with my story.

I'm also thinking about delving into the Suspense/Thriller area, Romantic Suspense included. I don't know if I'll try it full on because both of my WIPs for Camp Nano look like UFs but there will be Suspense/Thriller themes (I hope I can pull off). So, yeah. Wish me luck!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Why not just be a rebel and finish your projects during Nano? I know a lot of people, including myself, who are being rebels.

It's partly because every time I do nanowrimo I seem to end up rebelling and I want to do it 'properly ' next time. Plus, I am sure that next month (assuming no life rolls) I will write 50 k anyway. I am in a writing binge phase; I wrote 30k in the last 8 days.

I tend to think the real power of nano is in those phases everyone has when writing is bogged down and it is a struggle to do it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Had final day of classes today. Now I can focus on my essays for 12 days before they're due.

Oh, and it turns out my brother is visiting from interstate on the weekend just before my exam... *headdesk* I won't get much studying done *that* weekend!

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
As it's the last day of the month in this part of the world I thought I'd check back in with you folks.

Well done to everyone, there's some really good stuff going on out there when I scrolled back down the thread.

Successes this month? Well, I turned my desk around a quarter turn so it faces a more boring wall and I have a fantastic view of the side of next doors house out of the window. My writing has gone a little better since I did that.

I entered a competition - they promise results by the end of May so I have several more hours before I find out what happened there, but so far nothing. I don't actually mind if I don't get anywhere, just entering was a big step for me.

I've found a few more free competitions to enter as well, one of which is monthly so I'm aiming at that now.

I finished a book. Reading has just not been working out for me. I think it's because I really need a footstool, I'm still working this out so we'll count this as a work in progress. I listened to some audio stuff though. Audio books I can do no problem as I listen in bed or in the kitchen as I'm cooking.

Things to work on

Well, I still owe Shoeless a Beta read - sorry Shoeless. I'll be getting that done soonest now I think.

I have several stories started, I seem to have no problem thinking up ideas now. It's just getting them finished that's not happening.

I need to seriously sort out the reading situation.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I find reading in bed to be easier than in a chair.

In other news, got a reading assignment back today (which I forgot to mention) and I scored 6/6. Woo!

Just listened to a new CD.

Normally music doesn't inspire strong emotions in me, but this band... Wow. They're something else. Check out Within Temptation if you like a bit of gothic/doom metal.

The downside is, this is the first band that's really moved me, and it's kind of in a depressing direction. So it's probably not very healthy for me to listen to them too often... But it's good to have strong emotions from time to time, instead of my usual bland daily slog. I think...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's sort of like their music is what I try to create when I play my own instruments. Only they've got talent and the ability to see a thought all the way through, whereas I sort of fumble.

Just really moodily intense stuff which I can relate to.

Actually, I should play guitar now.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just played guitar, without realising mum had gotten home. (I normally don't let people hear me on instruments in case I suck.)

Anyway, when I came out of my room, she asked me, "Were you playing guitar, or was that a CD?"

So this tells me 1 of 2 things.

Either 1: I suck, and mum thinks the music I listen to is just a bunch of noise.

Or 2: I actually sounded vaguely like I knew what I was doing, and mum doesn't mind the music I listen to.

I'm hoping for 2.

So yeah, that's what I've gotten done today. Played guitar a little, possibly sort-of-well.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
*scribbles band on "random things I need to remember later" list* :tongue

I actually got a LOT done this month. If I can get all of my Spanish but the final done and one stats assignment, I'll have met all of my goals for the month! :D Can't remember the last time I did that... I'll probably have to look it up later.

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I got a little bit more done this month. That makes me a little happy. But I still have to practice writing longer stuff. I hope that I'm able to get novel-length(50 K) at some point. I've written a little past 10 K before, although I cut a lot off it off during a rewrite so, that's a start I guess. So, progress! Yes.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Got through both exams today. :D Missed one multiple choice on the first and three multiple choice on the final. :) Not bad. Now to just finish up my projects...

~Amber~