The Wardrobe

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
My hogwarts letter never came, the satyrs never picked me up, and I can't the times Ive ran head first into a wardrobe. The Doctor had better have a good reason for missing my stop.

Hikari

Glittery Magenta Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
allpoetry.com
Haha! When dad used to smoke I'd look at him and think a jinni will pop out of the cigarette. That's why I always kept one under my pillow and prayed before I slept that in the morning I'd find a jinni waiting for me. xD

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was more mundane. I kept hoping that someone would show up and reveal that I didn't belong to my family, that it had been an awful mistake, and take me away.

When I found out we were moving from California, I kept hoping either my dance teacher or my violin teacher would tell my parents to let me stay and live with them. I looked for one or the other of them up until the van pulled away from the curb and we left for oblivion.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I used to do these mock run- aways. I'd find a peaceful destination--a spot under the bleachers at the local softball diamond; an abandoned boxcar; my Uncle Pearl's overgrown shelter belt--and then imagine living there.

I'd start a "bedroll" to take with me. Some of the "supplies" I would haul to the place and hide. There was an Army Navy Surplus store where we baby boomer kids shopped. I had a canteen, a small machete, compass, mess kit, a book on camping.

Very early on a summer morning I would slip out the back door and head out, heart pounding. Sometimes I'd go on foot, sometimes on my trusty Huffy bike. I hate the cold so never considered running away in the winter.

As I got older I'd get farther and farther away from home, but my nerve always ran out before I got far enough to get in real trouble. Something would spook me and I would head for home.

Once, exploring on a sandpit on the Arkansas, I ran into a real runaway--a boy about fourteen, very dirty, very sad. We just stared at each other across a little neck of water. Once a friend's father packing for a fishing trip called me by name and asked me what the H I was doing on a bike that time of night-- about 4 a.m. He told me to get home or he'd call my dad. I sweated that one.

I'm a morning person. Everyone else in my family sleeps late. No one at home ever missed me. The mock runs stopped somewhere around seventh grade. I don;t know why. Maybe the fighting at home stopped. Maybe I grew up. Maybe it was looking at that real runaway.

JQ377

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
I looked for secret passages in my house al of the time. I was sorely disappointed. We didn't even have a basement or a crawlspace.

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
I never believed in Santa Claus, but when my Hogwarts letter didn't come, I balled my eyes out. I think I cried every day for the first week of sixth grade.

So, at four I totally didn't buy a story about a fat dude who likes chimneys that most kids eat up. At eleven, I wanted Hogwarts to be real so desperately that I almost convinced myself it was.

Sophomore year of college the apartment I lived in had a little trap door for putting the trash out. Not a chute, but like an actual tiny door, with a tiny room behind it just for trash. And then my landlord would come by and pick up the trash from all the apartments. (It was a sweet deal on our part.) We got a lot of questions about what this tiny door was, to the point where we just put up a sign that said "To Narnia."

I'm like the Curious Case of Benjamin I-Believe-In-Things-That-Clearly-Aren't-Real.

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I've ever admitted this to anyone before, but if you have seen The Truman Show, that was it for me. I always imagined my life was on display, that there were people always watching me. So I usually acted like I was a perfect angel when I remembered to think about people watching me.
Yeah, I was weird too.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Haha, a lot of things.

My first wish was to be a turtle, lol. I made my mum tie pillows to my back and I crawled around the floor. Then I wanted to fly, making my religious grandma pray to God for flying powers.

Then I wanted to be a wizard, then Indiana Jones. The last "magic" weird thing I did was finding an old lamp-like teapot and rubbing it, in a last hope for something to happen. I wasn't even young or anything, hehe.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
I never believed in Santa Claus, but when my Hogwarts letter didn't come, I balled my eyes out. I think I cried every day for the first week of sixth grade.

So, at four I totally didn't buy a story about a fat dude who likes chimneys that most kids eat up. At eleven, I wanted Hogwarts to be real so desperately that I almost convinced myself it was.

Sophomore year of college the apartment I lived in had a little trap door for putting the trash out. Not a chute, but like an actual tiny door, with a tiny room behind it just for trash. And then my landlord would come by and pick up the trash from all the apartments. (It was a sweet deal on our part.) We got a lot of questions about what this tiny door was, to the point where we just put up a sign that said "To Narnia."

I'm like the Curious Case of Benjamin I-Believe-In-Things-That-Clearly-Aren't-Real.

Haha, this reminds me of when I watched the Harry Potter movies. I wasn't even that obsessed but my parents told me they'd sign me up to a school like this when I was 14.

Well, my 14th birthday came years ago and I still haven't been signed up to Hogwarts! The letter must have gotten lost somewhere, huh?

dwcopela

Registered
Reaction score
I always had nightmares as a kid so I would wish to be a hero so I could have the courage to fight the nightmares. I guess that is why superheroes have always appealed to me-they gave me a model for courage and character.

71writer

Registered
Reaction score
What didn't I imagine as a kid. I tried using The Force on a regular basis, worked on my ESP powers, dressed up like Wonder Woman (UnderRoos and plastic yellow rainboots), used my wiffle ball bat as a sword for countless adventures, roamed the woods in search of all kinds of adventure, dreamed of flying, going into outerspace, being a superhero, knight, damsel not-so-in-distress, commando, Laura Ingalls, gypsy fortune teller, etc., etc. I didn't read Harry Potter until the first movie cam out and by then I was in my 20's. I knew the letter wasn't coming, but I was really hoping my kids would get one and they'd need me to teach Muggle Studies! I guess I'll never grow up. Guess that's why I'm trying to be a writer, so I have a legitimate excuse to spend my time fantasizing about the impossible!

Yes, yes, yes! You just described me. :) I have grown up, unfortunately, :( but now that my kids are almost grown I am rediscovering my youth. Lol. I am reading kids books, YA books & remembering what it all was that I loved about being a kid. The innocence, the magic, the wonder of it all.
Believe it or not I have still never read Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, LOTR, Treasure Island or any of the other great works. I was into the Little House Books, Harriet the Spy was my favorite stand alone, and books where you were able to choose your adventure.
So I imagined many things growing up. I was Wonder Woman in my underoos, Little Rascals (from t.v. show) camping under a blanket tent with my flashlight like they did, I slept in the loft of the Little House in the Big Woods and played dolls with Laura & Mary, played while Pa smoked the meat in the old tree that was made into a smoker. I constantly dreamed of time travel and being able to go back in time, which I still dream of to be honest.
Our house was quite old, my dad still lives there, and I remember my parents bedroom closet. At the time it didn't have a solid wall behind it but a curtain that separated it from the bedroom beside it. So I could literally walk through that closet into the next room. They also have a cupboard under the stairs that I was just sure held someone waiting to get me. I never ventured into the attic but convinced my sister that that was where mom and dad hid the bodies.

riversunderneath

Registered
Reaction score
Mermaid

When I was little I wanted to be a Mermaid. I dreamed that one day I could jump in the lake or river and grow fins! I would even eat sea weed because it was rumored that if you ate seaweed you would turn into a mermaid.

Also I did the portal thing also. I would climb to the back of my parents closet to try to get somewhere else, so that is definitely not weird, or is it?

Humble Squid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I was a nerdy kid, didn't make friends too easily until late in high school (ironically, the old adage is true, learn how to play guitar and...)

Consequently my brother and I were in love with all things D&D as kids and we used to think that summer mornings before our parents awoke were magical - we'd dress up in our "armor" and "robes", grab our "weapons" and head out into the enchanted world of the backyard.

we hoped and hoped and hoped that we would somehow stumble on a doorway leading to Krynn. (kinda still do) haha.

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
I always wanted the powers of Go Man, a superhero I created when I was a kid. He could teleport himself to any place in his field of view. Or and least Shoe Man, who made shoes that could fly.

In my adulthood, when I saw move Spaceballs I didn't like it, but I did want a flying Winnebago like in the movie. Or later, at least a flying bison like Aang had in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Hmm. There seems to be a common theme here.

For some reason, I still think of Go Man when I look at the moon. But it probably wouldn't be very healthy to teleport myself to the moon, I guess. It would be fine with a space suit, though. And I think of Shoe Man when I go shopping. It sure would be nice to zoom up and down those aisles, pushing that shopping cart, with a pair of flying shoes on my feet. I'm sure a good psychologist could have a field day with this.

Last edited:

Updrifting

Writer without permission.
Registered
Reaction score
Where it's really, really cold out half the year.
Website
errinstevens.com
I'm with Riversunderneath - I pretended to be a mermaid. Even in college, after I'd worked the late shift, campus security would leave the pool open for me so I could swim and make believe I was floating through another, more beautiful world. It's a dream I apparently can't let go of, since my paranormal romance books are about sirens!

As a footnote, I'm kinda afraid of the ocean and usually refuse to swim in it when I have the chance. Too many shark movies from my youth, and anyway, isn't that why God created swimming pools?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I do terrariums in the winter. They are tiny, ferny, miniature worlds complete with figurines, quartz boulders and gates. They remind me of a book I loved as a kid: "The Boys Who Vanished." I keep terrariums on my desk, on the dining room table, by my bed. Portals! Tiny little portals. --s6

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
lmao what a great thread!
Well, when I was like 9 years old I desperately tried going into the Digimon world. I would draw a circle of chalk on the asphalt and would repeatedly jump inside, hoping that one of my jumps would transport me to Digi World. Never happened.
When I was in middle school I had a serious situation. I was obsessed with Harry Potter and I seriously wanted to become a witch. But since my family would go to church on Sundays, I grew up thinking witchcraft was of the devil. So I thought, "Can I really damn my soul to become a witch? I so want to be a witch." You have NO idea the fear and confusion that 12-yr old me went through. Tough times.
When I was much younger I saw that one faerie movie about the cousins and the dad and it spoke to me. I just knew that there were faeries out there living in the wilderness. I spent soo much time looking for their little homes and building sand-homes at the beach and decorating them with twigs and flowers for them. I would look at trees and bushes and imagine them walking around. Actually, to this day I look at nature and I can just picture them out and about. And I get sad even now because I wish I could be a small little thing that runs around underneath bushes and trees. Two years ago I bough a fairy door. Faes, demons, Big Foot, aliens, Earth as a spirit, talking dolphins from other planets, reptilians, vampires, gnomes and goblins, they are all as real to me as the humans I interact with on a daily basis. It just feels right.
*shrugs* To each their own.

erikafabulous

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so many kindred spirits here. I also spent a bit of my youth looking for portals (now that I'm haunting a writing forum I can use the correct term for it. . .learn something new every day, right?). I also spent a lot of time hoping that random rocks were wish-granting artifacts, like the coin in half magic. Alas, none if it ever worked out.

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
I grew up playing video games and found myself wishing that some of the cartoons were real where you get sucked into the game to help the heroes and that stuff. I wrote so many stories where that stuff happened.

But I have to agree with the whole mermaid thing. I always wanted to be a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid, not a merman. Or have wings like an angel, or be a princess. I even wrote a novel, a 70,000 word story about a man who falls in with a group of witches and they do all sorts of things to him including turning him into a mermaid or princess and stuff. I thought it was really good at the time.

The scary part is I still want to be a mermaid or princess.

The even scarier part is that I'm a guy.

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up playing video games and found myself wishing that some of the cartoons were real where you get sucked into the game to help the heroes and that stuff. I wrote so many stories where that stuff happened.

But I have to agree with the whole mermaid thing. I always wanted to be a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid, not a merman. Or have wings like an angel, or be a princess. I even wrote a novel, a 70,000 word story about a man who falls in with a group of witches and they do all sorts of things to him including turning him into a mermaid or princess and stuff. I thought it was really good at the time.

The scary part is I still want to be a mermaid or princess.

The even scarier part is that I'm a guy.

Not scary at all! What if you were a mermaid princess in a past life??? ^^

Iamfenian

Registered
Reaction score
What a fantastic thread! I actually address this in my novel...our world is dismissing magic! I did not wish for anything other than good weather for my first Red Sox Game but the magic in my life was exploring the woods and streams near my home. This may sound lame but it is truth.

PlannerDan

Planner Dan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danboutwell.wix.com
OMG, that's way too far back to remember...what did I wish? Well I always wanted to have a genie give me three wishes. I schemed and figured for hours what those wishes would be. I never ever settled on the best three. The last one was always, "I wish for three more wishes." But I always suspected that would violate some "three wishes clause" and negate the first two wishes.