amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's raining here, too. I expect soon there will be flood watches. Wish I could send some of that water to Sian.

I slept last night! Woo! Unfortunately, I forgot to set my alarm, so I got to work a bit late. But I feel a lot better.

Tomorrow will be a writing day.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
This up and down weather is driving my arthritis completely bonkers.

Can you use the oils they sell in health shops to help it?

In high school a few of us did take our roller blades out to an ice rink... that was rather amusing. :D

It has been years since I was on ice. I doubt I would impress anyone with my talent for landing awkwardly.

It's raining here, too. I expect soon there will be flood watches.

:eek: At least tell me you live on a hill.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the weather holds, we'll go ice skating here in about a week. It's an outdoor rink, so there will be ice, I think, but still, it'd be nice not to have it all melty.

:D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:eek: At least tell me you live on a hill.

Yup. My rule of house-buying in Western PA is to be many feet above the nearest creek. In this case, the nearest creek is across the street... 60 ft down in a gully.

Flood watches are fairly frequent. I suspect what will happen is that the rivers will rise and we'll have some creek and streams rise as well. But that's fairly normal for Pittsburgh. There's a reason a portion of Interstate 376 is called "the bathtub".

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue Not anymore! In high school a few of us did take our roller blades out to an ice rink... that was rather amusing. :D

There was a blizzard here in 1979, and the entire county came to a screeching halt for a month; we didnt' have school, businesses didn't open, they even had the National Guard out to deliver food to people who couldn't get out to buy their own.

During that blizzard, the Big Sandy River (whihc is about five miles from my house) froze over. It doesnt' sound like anything impressive to most, but it was the first time in living memory it had happened here. People got in trouble several times for driving out onto the ice in their pickup trucks and four-wheel drives.

Rednecks.

My elder sister's best friend, Sharanna, had learned to ice skate that year; her brothers had bought her skates, walked her out onto the ice of the river, strapped on her skates, and then just left her there, saying, "learn to skate back to the riverbank, or stay there until the thaw." Needless to say, she learned to skate.

(Do I need to point out that ice skating is as rare as hen's teeth here in my part of Appalachia? Our winters are too warm)

So what did Sharanna do? She swiped her brothers' skates, collected her own, and came over to our house to teach us how to skate, too! We were not going out to the river, naturally; too far to walk, and my mother was not going to drive us, not when she disapproved so. But there was a nice broad creek at the bottom of Graveyard Hill, on the south side of the farm, so we skated there.

I was just twelve then, and my arthritis was in early days (only my knees, and not too bad as long as I kept warm). There was no way I was going to let a little ache keep me from the fun. So I learned to skate on our creek. Deeply weird experience: rocks and plant stems stuck up through the ice, and one large tree's root system poked down into the ice from above, making the whole thing more like running an obstacle course instead of all the grace and speed you see on the Olympics.

But it was FUN.

Can you use the oils they sell in health shops to help it?

Like fish oil? I'm scared to try fish oil, because of my allergies. Hyperemesis is bad; anaphylaxis is worse.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Raining up here too.

And what happens when it gets warm enough to rain and then dips below freezing overnight?

I'll give you a hint: it causes Lily to frequently fall on her tush trying to get anywhere.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* for Junely.

Yay for cutting your hair Ali. I cut mine yesterday. What is sad about that statement is that when I used to cut my hair I looked like BW. Now I look like my Avatar without the cool tattoo...

Some writing this morning. Just realized I need one more piece of research and then I should be good to go.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Yay for cutting your hair Ali. I cut mine yesterday. What is sad about that statement is that when I used to cut my hair I looked like BW. Now I look like my Avatar without the cool tattoo...

Of course I cut my hair on a day when it's minus temperatures outside. Even with two hats my head was cold. Note to self: this is why animals moult in the Springtime!

Himself also looks like your avatar but without the tattoo Stanley. He used to miss his hair until I pointed out that he looks dead smexy that way. :e2brows:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening Cantina.

I need to watch more science fiction films.

That is all. I'm not feeling too talkative but felt the need to say something. So... yeah.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Bald is sexy.

Just sayin'...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
What is sad about that statement is that when I used to cut my hair I looked like BW. Now I look like my Avatar without the cool tattoo...

You should get the tattoo. :D

Bald is sexy.

Depends entire on the man. Shane McGowan wouldn't suddenly become a memetic sex god if he shaved off all his hair, for instance.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Junely- folks keep suggesting fish oil but what they are really suggesting is omega 3. And that can be found in flax and other fish free foods or food derived pills.

If you read up, the important thing is a balance of omega 3 and 6 and even 9. So if you do some homework, you can look at your current diet and decide if you should add just 3 or 3 and 6 or whatever. Then you can decide if it is better to try a pill or a food.

I for example have decided to add flax seed to my chocolate yogurt 'smoothies', giving it a nuttier flavor. I prolly don't get enough omega 6 every day, but over a week I think I'm good. Might have to work on it.

And this concludes my talk ;)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Junely. It's got bitterly cold here in London and my hips 'n' knees are so stiff I got sent home from work for looking pitiful. On the plus side, I have a nice cup of horlick's.

Agenda for the day: go through short story, prune out all the overly purple paragraphs. I really do have a problem with the purple.

Shane McGowan wouldn't suddenly become a memetic sex god if he shaved off all his hair, for instance

You mean he's not one already? ;)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You mean he's not one already? ;)

:roll:

I'm trying to see that, but...

:roll:

Big long coats hide so many flaws - and probably have multiple uses too.

I won't say anything on this, save for the face that great coats (or... overcoats? Are they the same thing?) are really, really warm, and essential when the wind is whipping in off the East Coast.

And I broke the leather coat, so I only have that at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.