Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Random question: If I'm not actively even trying to properly write anything, can I still hang out here?

Because I'm considering taking a break from the whole thing for a while. It's just been annoying me lately because I can never come up with my own damn ideas, I'm just cobbling together scraps of stuff I've seen in other things and I feel like I genuinely need to stop thinking too much about this stuff for a while.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Random question: If I'm not actively even trying to properly write anything, can I still hang out here?

Because I'm considering taking a break from the whole thing for a while. It's just been annoying me lately because I can never come up with my own damn ideas, I'm just cobbling together scraps of stuff I've seen in other things and I feel like I genuinely need to stop thinking too much about this stuff for a while.

If you are hanging out here, then any time you are saying anything in this thread, you are writing. So of course you can always hang out here. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never going outside again.

Brrr.

Ion, I'm supposed to go to work and earn money again tomorrow. Overtime good. Cold bad.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I already did this on Twitter, but that's okay. :D

*TACKLE HUGS!!!!*

Why don't we have an emote for that?

Okay, now I need to clean the kitchen and get ready to feed other people. Which I don't really want to do, but this was Mr. K's idea and I'm just playing along.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
So I just managed to fall up the steps. :e2beat:

During dinner, I casually mentioned self-defense classes to my mom, and she encouraged me to join. :chair

Why the heck not? For months I didn't write while I hung around. Even though I wasn't doing it, I still discussed it and threw around ideas.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So I just managed to fall up the steps. :e2beat:

Drinking?

The only time I fell up the stairs, I had a snootful of moonshine.

Don't look at me like that! I was young once, too! Now get off my lawn!

During dinner, I casually mentioned self-defense classes to my mom, and she encouraged me to join. :chair
DOOO EEEETTT! Not only is it useful knowledge for writing, it's good to know how to protect yourself. Besides, the first month I was in martial arts classes, I lost thirty pounds in thirty days!

Why the heck not? For months I didn't write while I hung around. Even though I wasn't doing it, I still discussed it and threw around ideas.
QFT!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Currently closed, but opens again for submissions on 1 February.

Fingers crossed for you!

Bugger.

Otoh, I feel less upset that my home internet decided to crap out on me.

The edits are done. Only a few more days to the first....

I feel a little patheticly slow that this will only be the second time I sub my novellette. I enjoyed the results from letting it sit between minorish edits and letting it evolve in little jumps, but still. This was a Secret Santa from years ago.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Okay.... my outline is sorta unstuck, but a minor character just took center stage, and turned the sorta-kinda romance into a love triangle. Sorta-kinda.

Crap. this has gotten weird. It's still interesting, but weird.

And, now I think about it, I've been working on this outline for thirteen hours now (more or less; I try to take a ten or fifteen minute break every second hour while writing). Unusual for me to be able to stick that long without becoming exhausted. A good sign, you think?

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Drinking?

The only time I fell up the stairs, I had a snootful of moonshine.

Don't look at me like that! I was young once, too! Now get off my lawn!
Nope. Stone sober. My slipper got caught on a step.

DOOO EEEETTT! Not only is it useful knowledge for writing, it's good to know how to protect yourself. Besides, the first month I was in martial arts classes, I lost thirty pounds in thirty days!
Knowledge. Protection. Weight loss. I call that a triple threat. Maybe I should get more serious about looking into this.

:e2headban

Gonna watch a little of the hockey game before bed. So I'm wish everyone a goodnight now.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Okay.... my outline is sorta unstuck, but a minor character just took center stage, and turned the sorta-kinda romance into a love triangle. Sorta-kinda.

Crap. this has gotten weird. It's still interesting, but weird.

And, now I think about it, I've been working on this outline for thirteen hours now (more or less; I try to take a ten or fifteen minute break every second hour while writing). Unusual for me to be able to stick that long without becoming exhausted. A good sign, you think?
Are you writing my story? I am over 5000 words in and just now have informed the reader of the main character's name.

But I followed Sara's advice, and voila! a name appeared.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Let it be known that said name is not Ass.

Just sayin'.

And that's all I'm gonna say about *that*. :gone:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
No, Sara, the character's name is not "Ass." But I did follow your advice on the technique to make the name I did choose work.

:tongue

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Are you writing my story? I am over 5000 words in and just now have informed the reader of the main character's name.

Let it be known that said name is not Ass.

My new characters, when they don't immediately have a presence on the page, tend to be called Larry, Curly or Moe. I rename them properly when they begin to have distinctive characteristics and a voice. :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

But I followed Sara's advice, and voila! a name appeared.

No. But I've outlined nine chapters. In chapter one, something magical happens. In chapters two through six, nothing magical happens; it's all about setting up the family dynamic, character development, and the beginnings of the romance. They do TALK about the magic, but don't actually do any Chapter Seven, something magical happens, Chapter eight, something magic happens. Chapter nine I'm still working on.

I feel like, if this is a fantasy, more magic -- and certainly more flashy magic -- should be happening. Granted, I tend toward fairly short chapters, less than 3K words each, as a rule. But still, should I be pushing this harder?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
My new characters, when they don't immediately have a presence on the page, tend to be called Larry, Curly or Moe. I rename them properly when they begin to have distinctive characteristics and a voice. :)

Even the wiminz? :eek:

I can't write a character unless I've "found" their name. It just won't come out. Once had a wip stalled for a day because I didn't know what a secondary character's name was. :Shrug:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I was just randomly pootling about on my laptop and I got the urge to write... well... this:

"Are there any questions?" A hand at the back of the room went up. "Yes?"
"Is that goblin wearing a fez?"
"It was his Christmas present. Now, moving on..."

Yeah, I honestly don't know what the hell either.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had a moment where you've become so enamoured and stupidly-obsessed with an idea that even you realize just how silly it is and how helpless you are in preventing such silly thoughts?

Yeah, dual-class Red Mage/Paladin Lily is going through that. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I was just randomly pootling about on my laptop and I got the urge to write... well... this:

Yeah, I honestly don't know what the hell either.

Oh, hell, yeah! I do that, too! I had a great idea from just two sentences:

*man is walking through the dark woods when suddenly a monster jumps out of the trees right in front of him.*

"Oh, hey, John, how's the bloodsucking going for you?"

No idea where the phrase came from. Only know it landed in my notebook, and later led to a really fun story.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I need to set my outline aside for the evening. I'm making myself crazy. I'm too tired to make good story decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.