Status
Not open for further replies.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Anyone here planning on participating? I'm not sure if I will (have other deadlines looming in Oct! for my self-pubbed stuff), but I do have close friends who are looking into it.

Did anyone do it last year? Your impressions?

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I've got a couple of things I'm considering using, but I may I don't know if they'll fit the categories precisely. I'll make a last-minute determination next week and figure out if it'll let 'er rip.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I was dissapointed that the top twenty-five are selected by people visiting the site and voting. I envision people stacking the voting by repeatly voting for themselves. I don't have the stanima or internet connection to compete.

Makes me wonder if it's more about driving traffic to the Harlequin site, than discovering a new *talent*. It's like the slushpile meets high school.

htrent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
Dunno. They're probably keeping a hawk eye on that. I'm sure they don't want to have to edit the winner if the winner's entry is absolute dreck.

Voting Limit: Each Voter may vote one (1) time per day during the First Chapter Judging Phase and the Top 3 Judging Phase. Votes received from any Voter or Voter's e-mail address in excess of the stated number of votes per one day period will be void. The Sponsor will not accept Votes that are in its sole opinion intended to subvert the voting process or those generated by script, macro, or other automated means. Entrants are prohibited from manipulating or tampering with Votes or otherwise obtaining votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public. Any entrant found to have done or attempted to do any of the foregoing shall be immediately disqualified from the Writing Contest.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
They've run a similar thing for a couple of years under the New Voices contest and I think they managed the voting system pretty well. I'm not entering this time, though, because I am no longer eligible!!!!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno. They're probably keeping a hawk eye on that. I'm sure they don't want to have to edit the winner if the winner's entry is absolute dreck.

Maybe I miss read it. I thought the voters picked the top 25 and then the winner was chosen by the editorial staff at HQ, just as they do with any mss going through the submission process.

htrent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
Maybe I miss read it. I thought the voters picked the top 25 and then the winner was chosen by the editorial staff at HQ, just as they do with any mss going through the submission process.

http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com/contest/contest-rules/

The 25 entries with the highest votes plus three wildcard entries move on to the next round where they're scored by a judging panel, at least one member of which is not associated with Harlequin.

• Voice (33%) (the "Voice Category");
  • Content (33%); and
  • Writing Skills (34%).

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but the SYTYCW contest is in full swing. I put in an entry, and I have been following along on Twitter. Although I'm getting a bit tired of all the - You're entry is fantastic, here's mine - tweets. eHarlequin isn't much better, which is why I'm hiding out here. :) Although I suppose it's to be expected. What writer doesn't want acknowledgment for a job well done?

Anyway apparently they aren't allowing commenting this year. I heard things get a bit nasty during the New Voices competition because of this. Also when the voting starts next week, you're supposed to be able to see which entries are being voted on. Not sure how they'll do this, but several people have asked elsewhere so I thought I'd pass along the info.

Finally if anyone does read the entries, and maybe it's just me, but I'm just amazed at how many entries that aren't appropriate for the line they're targeting, some aren't even appropriate for the genre. I suppose the editors probably see this all the time, but having never had seen the slush pile before so to speak it's a bit of an eye opener. I keep thinking have these people even read a Harlequin?

Anyway just sharing info in case anyone's interested. :)

htrent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I was really surprised there was no way to enter under an established pen name. I submitted anyway, but it made me a bit nauseous.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I was going to enter with a would-be Nocturne that's been sitting in my closet, but I did a word count and discovered my "book" was 30K words too short for the line. That's a bit more padding than I can handle, even with more and extended sex scenes. :) Romancewriter, tpridgen, win this one for me, okay?

I will be subbing to the Harper Voyager open call next week. That book does meet minimum word requirements. I might even send them the YA if it's long enough. As for Harlequin, maybe next time ...

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I submitted for the Intrigue line. I was bummed there wasn't any way to comment on the ms, but I can see how it could get a little trollish.

Like Romancewriter, I was taken aback about how many subs didn't follow directions or were not right for the line. I want to tell my writing group that it's not just a "So you think you can write" contest it's also "A day in the life of a Harlequin editor" inside scoop.

Anyway, fingers crossed and good luck to all who entered.

Last edited:

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
The editors have been reading entries beforehand (and some have asked for recs on Twitter), so I do believe that regardless of the voting, they already have their eye on what they want to see more of.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I've also been reading up on the entries and it was eye-opening and I've been a slushie reader! But historicals listed in the intrigue category? Memoirs under special edition? I just want to yell at the screen "Read the lines you're targeting! You stand a better chance!"

I am glad commenting is off. People can be too nasty in these types of competitions.

Several of my friends entered, so I'm rooting for them. They are all great writers and I hope they do well. And get lots of NON-friend votes!

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling the 'popularity' vote is going to be the bane of this competition given what I've seen on Twitter, which is also carrying over into various blogs. Three wild cards entries doesn't really level out the playing field for those that don't have hundreds of twitters and facebook followers. I too wish those who have entered the best of luck, but as for me, I'll stick around for the finale but I'm pretty much over it.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've also been reading up on the entries and it was eye-opening and I've been a slushie reader! But historicals listed in the intrigue category? Memoirs under special edition? I just want to yell at the screen "Read the lines you're targeting! You stand a better chance!"

I am glad commenting is off. People can be too nasty in these types of competitions.

Several of my friends entered, so I'm rooting for them. They are all great writers and I hope they do well. And get lots of NON-friend votes!

I kind of thought that with some of these entries that were really off base, like the kids' holiday fantasy story - really? in a Harlequin contest? is anyone that clueless? - are using this competition as an opportunity to get their work 'out there'. I personally can't see doing such a thing would have much of a payoff, if any, but it does it make you wonder.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I kind of thought that with some of these entries that were really off base, like the kids' holiday fantasy story - really? in a Harlequin contest? is anyone that clueless? - are using this competition as an opportunity to get their work 'out there'. I personally can't see doing such a thing would have much of a payoff, if any, but it does it make you wonder.

Exactly. IMO so blatantly NOT following the rules just to get in front of an editor would make ME less willing to look at that author's projects...

My friend who entered and I were discussing the 'popularity vote' that will probably be the deciding factor. Her take on it? She entered the competition early on the chance that the editors from the line she was targeting would have had the time to read her entry. She doesn't care if she places in the top twenty-eight. She just wanted to see if she could catch the attention of an editor--without the long Harlequin response time that is typical. And I can understand her reasoning. From scuttlebutt that we've read, Harlequin has said several times they may call other authors besides those who win, if they are interested...

Incy Black

Registered
Reaction score
If I was an editor panning for gold, I wouldn't ignore a nugget just because it had been mis-entered under the wrong line.

Some of the line specs are vague, others are so damn rigid you may as well be wearing handcuffs. And they change, one would hope to reflect shifts in readers' tastes.

So some ignored the criteria, I'm one of them, but I had to shoehorn my entry in somewhere. And whilst it might irritate the editors, frankly, with the opportunity to scout for talent and the huge amount of free publicity for HQN, my sympathies lie more with those brave enough to put their work out there to be admired or mocked or chastised for following their dream. I'd give them all a medal and I wouldn't worry about whether it was a Purple Heart, George Cross or flaming Elizabeth Cross.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Welcome to AW Incy! It's a great place to be.

I don't believe anyone is talking about the entries that can fit more than one category or are a bit outside the lines, we're talking those entries that will never fit a Harlequin line.

I read an entry that was a children's story. Harlequin doesn't publish children's stories, so why enter harlequin's contest? That is what we are discussing--not mocking or chastising.

Rhymes with Clue

Trying to be mysterious
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go for it. And I blew it. It's still September 30, but it seems the submission thing is closed.

I thought at least they'd leave it open till midnight, but apparently not!

So much for my frenzy of weekend writing. I wish I'd seen this sooner than yesterday.

I DO think I can write. Unfortunately I have a hard time submitting. (Usually make deadlines, though. Bummer.)

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of other places for writers to submit to without putting their entries in competitions that clearly aren't right for them. Carina Press for one, also both the regular Harlequin press and Harlequin Australia have started digital lines for writers who prefer to write stories with less rigid guidelines, and they'll also accept stories that don't even have romantic elements. No one is bashing on anyone's dreams, or attempting to discourage anyone from following them, but it makes little sense to post something that is so far off base of what the contest is about. I agree sometimes its not always easy to tell if a certain story is suitable for a particular line, but a kid's fantasy story in a romance contest makes no sense.

So having said that, I'm going to bail on this conversation. I never intended to offend anyone and clearly that's what's happening. My apologies and best of luck on your writing journey. :)

Personal Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I finally worked-up the courage to submit my entry yesterday morning, well before the midnight deadline. I never received an email confirmation and it has yet to be posted. Also, as stated on their FAQ page, I sent an email to let them know.

However, after reading their community forum,. I understand I am not the only entrant this happened to, so I will wait and see what today has to hold.

Incy Black

Registered
Reaction score
I finally worked-up the courage to submit my entry yesterday morning, well before the midnight deadline. I never received an email confirmation and it has yet to be posted. Also, as stated on their FAQ page, I sent an email to let them know.

However, after reading their community forum,. I understand I am not the only entrant this happened to, so I will wait and see what today has to hold.

Hope they sort it out for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.