The wages of greeeeeeeed

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently it wasn't quite enough to assuage his guilt?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt these sorts experience guilt, but are just clever enough to realise the extent to which their 'life' is over once caught.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this the third person to commit suicide over that event? Does Korea have the same sort of cultural views toward suicide that Japan does?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Isn't this the third person to commit suicide over that event? Does Korea have the same sort of cultural views toward suicide that Japan does?

No, of course not. Korea and Japan are entirely separate ancient cultures with no linguistic connection and nothing to do with each other. (sarcasm alert)

Their cultures are as different as Switzerland's and Austria's, as Portland's and Seattle's, as Cubs fans' and White Sox fans'.

And they are about as friendly as any two European neighboring countries have historically been, or any two neighboring sports teams.

(Actually they have some fascinating historic and archeological connections, but also a fraught history. Studying their similarities makes both nations uncomfortable.)

Last edited:

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe it isn't......<theme music to Twilight Zone>

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know that South Korea was having issues with mass suicides at around the same time Japan did. I didn't know if they were having a similar cultural attitude toward suicide at the moment. I wouldn't find it surprising to learn that a Japanese man in a situation like this had committed suicide, and I'm wondering how much is a cultural element, and how much is just something related to this specific person and case.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
S. Korean billionaire fugitive owner of the ferry involved in the disastrous sinking some weeks ago, accused of corruption leading directly to the event, found dead:

http://news.msn.com/world/body-of-missing-skorean-shipping-tycoon-found

Srsly, how damn much money do you really need?

caw
Enough to mine asteroids? (I know, you think that's a fool's errand)

It's not about how much you have, it's about how you got it and what you do with it.

Apparently this guy got his money by means he was hoping wouldn't become public.

Cereus

Few Nish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I think so. Koreans and Japanese often commit suicide in the same manner, i.e., suffocation. In somewhat recent news, several big (in S. Korea!) name producers have taken their own lives after failed productions, legal trouble, not paying their actors, etc.