The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
One of their agents picked up her manuscript because she felt bad for the way she was treated by them, and promptly asked her to rewrite the first 3 chapters before she'd submit.

She wasn't willing to compromise like that.

Oh. My. "Compromise"? That's not exactly the word I'd use. She considered it a compromise to do revisions??

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
gena140 said:
I've already answered that she is a contract lawyer who specializes in contracts.

Yes, you did, thank you. I've been trying to catch up on many pages of new posts and deal with a system download at the same time, so my computer was slow at that moment. I didn't see your response until after I'd asked.

However, you stated contract law. You need to ask a different lawyer about your contract. If you have it in electronic form, I'd be willing to get the opinion of one for you.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Know what?

We are talking about nothing really relevant to PA and are consistently feeding the troll. Amazing. Victoria, Jenna, I hope some of this can be taken out and put in the proper forum(s) where it belongs. As for the rest of my friends here, realize something - encouraging and abetting something like this will only encourage more. This person has been incessantly posting here for four plus hours, and has basically high-jacked the thread. And why? Because we're helping her! Amazing...

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Sassenach said:
Oh. My. "Compromise"? That's not exactly the word I'd use. She considered it a compromise to do revisions??

They wanted her to totally rewrite the first 3 chapters. It's her work I think she has the right to refuse any "revisions" whether they are as small as moving a period to rewriting total chapters.

As an author I respect that.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
They wanted her to totally rewrite the first 3 chapters. It's her work I think she has the right to refuse any "revisions" whether they are as small as moving a period to rewriting total chapters.

I'd be curious to know what you've published.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Yes, you did, thank you. I've been trying to catch up on many pages of new posts and deal with a system download at the same time, so my computer was slow at that moment. I didn't see your response until after I'd asked.

However, you stated contract law. You need to ask a different lawyer about your contract. If you have it in electronic form, I'd be willing to get the opinion of one for you.

For what reason?

So that you can prove to me why I should not be satisfied with it?

No thank you.

As stated. I'm not here to prove anything to anyone and you don't have to prove anything to me either.

I feel my lawyer is competent and she's at the top of her field. I would certainly trust her judgement over someone I encountered on a message board as far as my contract is concerned.

No offense but I trust her.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I'm not a troll.

But I've been treated like one from the first post because you want to bash PA.
Sorry, Gena. You walked in here swinging your fists, insulting the long-time residents left and right on the basis of misinformation or no information. Some people gave you courteous and factual replies anyway: everyone gets the benefit of the doubt at first. That'll wear off if your attitude keeps up. Ever hear the one about what goes around...uh, sweetie?

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I said this a little bit ago. This thread is here to help educate others about the truth about PA. Come on now lets get back to work.

Anne

:hi:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ed Williams said:
We are talking about nothing really relevant to PA and are consistently feeding the troll. Amazing. Victoria, Jenna, I hope some of this can be taken out and put in the proper forum(s) where it belongs. As for the rest of my friends here, realize something - encouraging and abetting something like this will only encourage more. This person has been incessantly posting here for four plus hours, and has basically high-jacked the thread. And why? Because we're helping her! Amazing...
Thank you Ed, and how many times must you post this? I have grown really weary of this conversation! I even left for quite awhile and still it goes on.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I included that in my first post.

Ah I see now.
You are a p*ssed off PA author that comes in here agitated and looking for a fight and seem to be telling others who have been published numerous times by reputable publishers what to do? Yeah, ok.

I was a PA author who is massively trying to get rights back. I'm very angry at them for the misleading they keep doing and how they seem to cult their croonies to fight for them as they rob them. I gave up trying to care and started publishing in traditional outlets. Thankfully the three book contracts I have are all free from the stigma of PA.

Go ahead and flame me for this post; I'm not feeding your trollish behaviour after this post.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:

I was just starting to give you the benefit of the doubt. Now I've go to "go".

p.s. PA/option 2 sounds perfect for your partner--no editing.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Dee...

Thanks for the link to Oprah's site. I hope a lot of us will take the time to post our stories there.

Mem...thanks for your links, too. You have a couple I had missed. (May I have a brownie now? Please? One of the hi-test ones.)

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
reph said:
Sorry, Gena. You walked in here swinging your fists, insulting the long-time residents left and right on the basis of misinformation or no information. Some people gave you courteous and factual replies anyway: everyone gets the benefit of the doubt at first. That'll wear off if your attitude keeps up. Ever hear the one about what goes around...uh, sweetie?

I respectfully thanked those posters several hours ago.

As stated this thread is about PA...not me.

Let's move on shall we unless anyone else has anything to ask me I'm going to some other threads and see what's going on around here besides this thread.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
DeePower said:
A subsidiary of the Chicago Sun Times has a columnist who highly recommends Publish America as a publisher.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/drown/drown0413.htm

If you would like to respond here are a few emails. Who knows, if enough people contact the Sun Publications and the Chicago Sun Times maybe they'll be intrigued enough to tell the real story about Publish America. After all we got stories in the Washington Post, LA Times, Associated Press and on TV.

The author of the column Dave Drown [email protected]

News Releases for Sun Publications [email protected]

Comments about stories in the Sun Publications [email protected]

Chicago Sun Times

Book Editor Henry Kisor [email protected]

Features Editor Christine Ledbetter [email protected]

Business Editor Dan Miller [email protected]

Dee

I just sent letters to all of them!

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
Now, for the lighter side of the news....

PA must be doing some Spring House Cleaning/Document Shredding since a manuscript disc I sent them almost three years ago and was told had vanished, reappeared at my house today.

Glad they didn't accept it...or publish it...:Clap:
(Twilight zone music)
Or DID they?:eek: ....I crack myself up!

Now back to your regularly scheduled banter....

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Sassenach said:
I was just starting to give you the benefit of the doubt. Now I've go to "go".

p.s. PA/option 2 sounds perfect for your partner--no editing.

ah, the classic "my words are gold and no one has the right to tell me otherwise!"...

*sigh*

ain't no publisher gonna take you on with that attitude, sweetie - and any writer worth his/her salt knows that while you may think every word is gold, an editor is what you need to turn it into platinum.

sorry you settled for PublishAmerica, however - how many other publishers did you try before you settled for PA?

tab

Dipsomaniac on the floor!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apocalypsecow.org
akaa1a said:
Now, for the lighter side of the news....

PA must be doing some Spring House Cleaning/Document Shredding since a manuscript disc I sent them almost three years ago and was told had vanished, reappeared at my house today.

Glad they didn't accept it...or publish it...:Clap:
(Twilight zone music)
Or DID they?:eek: ....I crack myself up!

Now back to your regularly scheduled banter....

How weird! Congrats!

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
tinasamuels said:
Ah I see now.
You are a p*ssed off PA author that comes in here agitated and looking for a fight and seem to be telling others who have been published numerous times by reputable publishers what to do? Yeah, ok.

I was a PA author who is massively trying to get rights back. I'm very angry at them for the misleading they keep doing and how they seem to cult their croonies to fight for them as they rob them. I gave up trying to care and started publishing in traditional outlets. Thankfully the three book contracts I have are all free from the stigma of PA.

Go ahead and flame me for this post; I'm not feeding your trollish behaviour after this post.

I didn't tell anyone what to do. I actually ASKED those people about their experiences.

Be angry at PA that's your right and I have stated that repeatedly.

You are the one flaming...not me.

I'm not a troll. I'm an author who came to an author site with an unpopular opinion.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Blaaaahh!!!

Well, that's an hour and a half of my life I would like back!

I feel like Marlin Perkins:

Now we see Jim facing the ferocious charging troll, while I'm safe here in the helicopter sipping this pina colada...

Seriously, new poster comes...antagonizes everyone possible...becomes defensive...switches to off-topic posts so as not to appear offensive...all the while helping to create page after page of useless non-information on this thread. I would accuse the Stooges of hiring cyber-mercenaries, except I don't think they have the brains for it.

Welcome Gena, I hope you share your opinions, insights, and experiences, though sometimes in other threads at AW besides this one.

Rob

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Savannah Blue said:
Thanks for the link to Oprah's site. I hope a lot of us will take the time to post our stories there.

Mem...thanks for your links, too. You have a couple I had missed. (May I have a brownie now? Please? One of the hi-test ones.)
Your welcome and yes you may:) Take a batch of them. I know I could use a batch myself right now:Headbang:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I'm ARROGANT...that's who I am. So what?

How does my arrogance hurt you?
Are you kidding? It doesn't hurt him, or me, or the rest of the readers here. It hurts you.

Sweetie.

Smoooooch!

Last edited:

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Dee, thank you for posting that columnist's piece as well as the contact information for the editors. Here is what I sent:

Dear Editor,

This column is just awful!

First, it is written as an infomercial rather than a column. It's nothing more than a I-wrote-this-book-and-I-have-this-platform-to-tell-you-to-buy-it. Is that really what you consider read-worthy? I can't believe it is unless you are one of those ad rags most of us fill our recycle cans with. Second, if you aren't aware that PublishAmerica is a crook and a scam sucking in uwary and unsophisticated writers ... well, you need to get out more.

Absolute Write has a 600-page discussion thread going on PA with links to numerous reliable sites, a number of professional writers who also give of their time and expertise as author advocates, a great deal of negative media publicity including the Washington Post, Publishers Weekly, a New York newspaper, the Los Angeles Times, several television stations and more. Even that bastion of inertia, the BBB, was finally moved to get off its *** and change the rating from "favorable" to "investigating."

You have done your readers an enormous disfavor not only by allowing an advertisement to run as editorial space but by giving credence to a scamming operation that depends on psychological abuse, cheating, lying and censorship tactics to keep its "happy" authors in line.

Drown will find this out soon enough. He deserves what's coming. But to smear your own publication by allowing a "columnist" to join up in roping in more victims is despicable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.