The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff said:
And don't forget links to the various articles and exposes recently produced about PA.

Another suggestion would be to reproduce the letters from writing groups/associations who have turned down the authors who have been printed by PA -- to drive home the point that PA is not a respected or valid publishing credit outside of the authors mind (anyone here have a copy of such a letter to share?).

Just brainstorming.

These things are already done and on the site, Jeff. You really should come check it out. And submit your Pickler sidekick audition while you're at it.

Kevin, I still don't have yours!

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
That is my one and only regret about not letting them take it all the way to press. I wanted to see the cover.

A blond haired guy in a turtleneck holding a gun and a rose against the backdrop of a cloud-filled sky.

With fangs.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Gratian Gasparri said:
Why don't you simply have someone resubmit it? Anyone wish to wager PA would accept it again?
That would be the funniest thing ever! I would have to finally break down and get those depends! :ROFL:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
a fat catalog of non-returnable and overpriced books, to say nothing of the lack of editing and 'orrible covers...

A catalog of books that came out a year or two earlier... with black-and-white interior repro, being shown to you by someone who can't take orders on the spot ...

By the time this 200 Authors book comes out, the guy who's putting it together may well be out of his honeymoon period, as may the other 199 authors. The motivation for the other 10,800 happy authors to lug this thing from store to store is obscure to me.

How much good leaving copies lying around in bus stations and hairdressers will do in terms of sales is likewise obscure.

Remember, with real publishers the catalog comes out six months before the books do.

SeanDSchaffer

Gratian, in answer to your question...

Gratian Gasparri said:
Hi folks,

Here's a question for former PA authors. A number of you have mentioned that you were aware going into your contract with PA that their marketting and author support wasn't necessarily the best, but that you thought that your book was unique enough that you could make PA work for you. Would you mind please sharing why?

I'm not asking to point the finger at anyone. Rather, I'm interested in better understanding how PA is capable of feeding off the dreams of good people.

Actually, Gratian, it's a very understandable question. A lot of people honestly are confused as to why an author would go with PA, so let me be the first to give my experience.

I went into my contract with PA knowing fully well of the marketing demands, but figured that was the way it worked with all new authors. I had been told that all publishers needed to prove that an author could have a reader base built up before the companies would do the major work.

At the time, I figured this to be a reasonable statement. I did not know the publishing world very well -- My PA book was the first book I'd ever sent out to a publisher or what I thought to be a publisher as the case may be. And I didn't know a lot of writers nor did I belong to a writer's group such as I do now with AW.

So it was basically, for my part anyway, an issue of misinformation. Had I known a normal publisher would have dealt with me in a much more favorable manner, I assure you I would have gone with someone other than PA.

I hope that helps.
:)

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's a question:
If one, or even ten, authors manage to actually make the PA model work for them, whether it be by having top lawyers watchdog for them, or niche-marketing to stores that prefer PA to self-publishing, then...

...is it still morally acceptable to fight to shut down PA on behalf of all the other victimized authors, who were too naive to catch contract ambiguities, believed half-truths, or simply fell for a really slick, practiced scam? Knowing that a successful fight will negatively impact the ten authors who have actually managed to tame the beast and do all right out of the bargain?

I would have to ask that those authors be named. There hasn't been any truly successful PA author by publishing industry standards. Supposedly there was the gentleman who sold 5200 books, but you don't hear much from him, do you? If he was happy with his PA experience, don't you think he would be out there campaigning for them? :Headbang:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Good News! My friend that told me about the Oprah thing yesterday has emailed me this morning that he will soon be asking for his contract back! Proof that things are working. I invited him over here quite sometime ago and although I feel his eyes watching over here, I am not sure. What I do know is that he has been holding off because of fear and things he needed to get done first. I feel good and I hope we see him posting here soon. He has a great book that deserves the best publisher.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Okay. This might not be popular, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Here goes.

It might be just me, but I do not think that writing scathing letters to the newspaper writers boss, or contacting him in a confrontational manner, or basically alienating him from listening to anything we might have to say about PA due to the fact that we piled on him as a group is something to crow about.

I am all for getting out the truth. I am all for engaging anyone with the facts and the issues regarding PA and their practices. I fully support the hard work people have done here to get this issue in front of the media.

But.

Maybe I'm wrong folks. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I don't see how we did one bit of good in p*ssing off that author and confronting his boss in a manner that closed off calm and rational discourse.

Not our finest hour here, in my opinion.

YMMV.

The only thing I did was send the same information to the Chicago Sun Times that I have sent to every other media outlet. That letter is posted here somewhere, (god only knows where now). I didn't do that to harm this author, I did it to protect others who may potentially be harmed. My letter is not scathing, it simply informs.

SeanDSchaffer

Now I have a question

Why in the world would I be able to go over to PA's boards, openly state that I disagree with their business practices, and not be banned for it? In fact, there's a "Neverending Thread" of sorts over on the Original Authors Boards called 'Bashers.' I've posted my opinions on that thread a number of times -- as well as on a few others -- and nothing has been said about it... by anyone! Not PA, not its authors, no one.

(No one yet, I should say.):Shrug:

Why in the world would that be?
:confused:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
Why in the world would I be able to go over to PA's boards, openly state that I disagree with their business practices, and not be banned for it? In fact, there's a "Neverending Thread" of sorts over on the Original Authors Boards called 'Bashers.' I've posted my opinions on that thread a number of times -- as well as on a few others -- and nothing has been said about it... by anyone! Not PA, not its authors, no one.

Sean, that is shocking! Are you cute? Do you have your picture up? Are you wearing a night gown that shows your butt off? Man, that is a mystery! Here I was hated the first week, go figure! I should have kept my teeth in when they posted my photo. Crap!:Smack:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
SeanDSchaffer said:

Knowing that you can post now, I have so much to say! Would you mind doing a copy?:kiss:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
That is my one and only regret about not letting them take it all the way to press. I wanted to see the cover.
Imagine this: Turtleneck Guy, with the long-haired babe with the cleavage all misty in the background and the hand with the gun superimposed. And curly romance novel lettering. And fangs. Lots and lots of fangs.

- Victoria

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
underthecity said:
Oh God, I can almost SEE that picture on their board! That's FUNNY! :roll: :roll:

utc
:D It's a good way to make my grand-baby laugh! Maybe it would work on all the sourpusses that call us "basher". Seriously though, it's not that funny if your looking in the mirror.:tongue

Trapped in amber

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed, and I think others have commented on this, is that there are a whole load of new faces on the PA boards, and a lot of people have simply vanished who weren't banned. Like the guy with the cool sailor's (I think) hat. I can't for the life of me remember his name and book title (apart from the title reminded me of fish), but he seemed to be doing fairly well by PA standards, and he was nice. Now he's gone. Can't find a trace of him. Makes me sulky. I keep thinking he had a nasty shock when the royalties came, and perhaps believes this would happen with any publisher. Does anyone have any news?

And hi to the new people:hooray:

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
lindylou45 said:
The only thing I did was send the same information to the Chicago Sun Times that I have sent to every other media outlet. That letter is posted here somewhere, (god only knows where now). I didn't do that to harm this author, I did it to protect others who may potentially be harmed. My letter is not scathing, it simply informs.

I wonder how many sent letters to the author and received a reply. I sent a letter telling him about my experience with pa and a link to Condensed: Here are The Reasons We Don't Recommend PublishAmerica. I have yet to receive a reply and I'm curious how many did and how similar they are.

SeanDSchaffer

T42 said:
Sean, that is shocking! Are you cute? Do you have your picture up? Are you wearing a night gown that shows your butt off? Man, that is a mystery! Here I was hated the first week, go figure! I should have kept my teeth in when they posted my photo. Crap!:Smack:

Believe it or not, Mem, I've never had a photo of me up on their boards or any board, that I know of.

What I do know is I stated how I thought PA could better itself as a company: treat its authors better; lower the prices of its books; give larger advances; etc. And you know, I've not been ridiculed by anyone yet -- again, that's that I know of. Now, I'm pretty sure Infocenter will probably have something to say before too long about all this; I have been off their boards for almost two months, and I've openly said on their boards that PA and I (Have to be grammatically correct, here, that's just me) are 'negotiating the terms of my contract termination.'

I wonder if the statement by Jenna a couple dozen pages back, spoken to me, about 'The right PODette' has anything to do with this?

I honestly don't know.

Oh, and one more thing: when I referred to the 'Bashers' on 'the other board,' over there, I referred to the said Bashers as 'us' and 'we.' I don't think that left any room for doubt that I am one of the said 'Bashers' of the Publisher that runs their board.

Maybe they're just reeling from the shock right now, I don't know.
:Shrug:

SeanDSchaffer

Trapped in amber said:
Another thing I've noticed, and I think others have commented on this, is that there are a whole load of new faces on the PA boards, and a lot of people have simply vanished who weren't banned. Like the guy with the cool sailor's (I think) hat. I can't for the life of me remember his name and book title (apart from the title reminded me of fish), but he seemed to be doing fairly well by PA standards, and he was nice. Now he's gone. Can't find a trace of him. Makes me sulky. I keep thinking he had a nasty shock when the royalties came, and perhaps believes this would happen with any publisher. Does anyone have any news?

And hi to the new people:hooray:

I'm sorry I don't remember his name, Trapped in Amber, but I do remember his book: Crab Cake & Pepper. That guy knew a lot about writing! Wonderful fellow.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
victoriastrauss said:
Imagine this: Turtleneck Guy, with the long-haired babe with the cleavage all misty in the background and the hand with the gun superimposed. And curly romance novel lettering. And fangs. Lots and lots of fangs.

- Victoria

Jenna! We need another contest. A two-part contest.

Part One - provide the best written description of a PA cover for Atlanta Nights - best description wins.

Part Deux - draw the winning cover - best version wins.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
Speaking in which, I have been trying to give out some of the good rep points since last night and they said I have given out too many already. They said try again in 24 hours. Well, I'm pretty sure that it's been 24 hours since I got the first message. I need my powers back...pleaseeeeee:Hail: I'm having withdrawls.......

It's because of all that bonking you're doing with Ed! :Ssh:

SeanDSchaffer

Bluwinteryfox

bluwinteryfox said:
I wonder how many sent letters to the author and received a reply. I sent a letter telling him about my experience with pa and a link to Condensed: Here are The Reasons We Don't Recommend PublishAmerica. I have yet to receive a reply and I'm curious how many did and how similar they are.

Was it a gentleman by the name of Donald Drown? I read a post of his earlier today on PA's boards, and he was very angry at the six or so different people who had emailed him concerning the exact same subject. I think there might have been a bit of overkill on that effort, guys. No offense meant by that, it's just my own humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.