Murakami character inspired by Dostoyevskys Marmeladov?

Makube

Registered
Reaction score
So I have this huge Murakami phase right now. Such an inspiring author!

I just read the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and when I was done I picked up Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. I've read about 30 pages and when reading Marmeladovs conversation (monologue) with Raskolnikov I could'nt shake the feeling that Ushikawa from the Wind-Up Bird chronicle really really felt like a sobered up japanese version of Marmeladov.

I read an interview with Murakami where he mentioned Dostoyevsky as one of his favourite authors.

What do you guys think? Is Ushikawa some kind of tribute to Marmeladov?

Best regards,
Jesper

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Haven't read Murakami. But have read Dostoyevsky. Marmeladov is a classic tragic figure. You're in for a treat with C&P. One of my faves. Enjoy.

ps Check out Kurosawa's 1951 movie The Idiot if interested in a Japanese version of a Dostoyevsky novel, outrightly intended as such. Fine flick in and of itself.

Makube

Registered
Reaction score
Had to read up on tragic figures in literature and they both certainly fit the bill! I feel a bit more enlightened now. I'll have to check out the japanese movie!

C&P really had me hooked from page 5! Did you enjoy any of his other novels?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Most definitely. Read all his novels at least twice. His short stories, too, which are really good. My favorite is, "White Nights." "The Landlady" is interesting too. A departure from his usual style. Then there's his first epistolary novel, "Poor Folk." I guess you might say I enjoy all of his writing :)

ps If you wanna find out whom an author was influenced by check out bios on them. They're really good when it comes to that. I read some on Dostoyevsky. Dickens seems to have been an influence on him going by bios along with several other authors. He was an avid reader.

Last edited:

saiko_neko

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge Murakami fan, but I haven't read the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle yet :/ 1Q84 is waiting me on my shelves, since I got it for my birthday, but I'm reading one book after another for my studies and have no time for my own taste right now. Anyway, I will keep that in mind when I will read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It's a good observation!