Superhero YA?

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of being inspired by Sailor Moon and other magical girl anime/manga.

The first novel I completed was about a magical girl and faeries. Most of the novel was terrible so I stopped working on it. But I wrote a 9000-word short story to go with it that I think has a far more interesting plot.

But with the growing interest in superheroes, I've been tempted to take another look at that story. If it still sucks, I can always expand on the short story.

I just wanted to add, I have two other ideas that it in the magical girl genre. One's from a boy's point of view that launched off the question, what was/it like for Tuxedo Mask always having to save this girl he doesn't know and/or like? The other I consider to be more a magical boy story with a girl protagonist, complete with lots of martial arts and sword-fighting action.

And I wrote a vampire novel a couple years ago where the main character is obsessed with Sailor Moon.

Yttar

Those ideas sound like a lot of fun! It can't hurt to go back and look at it, as you might find some ideas that are worth saving.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
With the success of The Avengers (bigger box office than Harry Potter!) I think that Superhero YA is a potentially highly successful genre. If you can make it appeal to a male and female audience, bonus points.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think now's a great time to query an agent who mentions loving Avengers (assuming your novel is polished and ready)

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
That is just not accurate. Runaways was cancelled by low sales and only came back because a groundswell of word of mouth about the TPB. Sales were lagging by the time Brian K Vaughn left and the guy who took over for him was some guy with two brilliant movies in the theaters right now, including one that has potential to be the highest grossing film of all time. So it's not exactly like you can blame the writers.

While there are some popular new characters on established, ensemble books if you look at the Diamond top 100 for March the only books anchored by recently created characters is Kick Ass 2 at 32, Saga #1 at 40. Winter Solider (Which is arguably isn't a new character) 49 Walking Dead 54, and X 23 (Which is only popular because its a female Wolverine)

Storm Watch, which is 19 years old, (Which OMG has made me realize that own comic books that are older than my boyfriend) has been cancelled at least three different times and its current reincarnation is only related to the original in name only and is there to fulfill contractual obligations to Jim Lee. Wild C.A.T.s has been cancelled five times and wasn't even involved in the New 52, although I will grant you that some of their characters have shown up in radically different forms.

No. You're countering your own argument here. How can you claim that comic book fans aren't receptive to new characters and then turn around and admit that Runaways got a relaunch because of the groundswell of word of mouth on the TPB? Yes, I'm aware that Marvel cancelled the book initially because of sales....anything new takes time to find its footing, and Marvel and DC are notorious for axing any book below a certain sales threshold. But the fact that it came back due to fan support completely invalidates your whole premise. And yes, I absolutely can blame the writers for its failing as a series after Vaughn left. Sure, Whedon's a fantastic writer and hugely popular....but his six issue run was plagued by delays. It took almost two years to release six issues. By the time his run ended, the book had lost most of its steady readers and never gained them back through Immomen's and Moore's equally unsteady (and short) time on the title. When you have a relatively new product, you can't afford frequent and unpredicted delays, and that again, has nothing to do with the characters.

Yes, a lot of these books have been cancelled. But they've all COME BACK. That's my point. The publishers control what they publish, fans have nothing to do with that....except through word of mouth, requests, fan support. At the end of the day, these major publishers are only concerned with their bottom line. They push what sells, and what's marketable, and what they think can succeed. If they cancel something, its because they think its not working. If they bring it back, its because they've been given reason to believe it CAN work, in the proper setting. My point has never been about sales, or cancellations, or what publishers do. It has always been....fans like these characters. Fans are not hostile to them just because they're new.

Anyway, as Sage said earlier, its kinda a moot point. Superheroes does NOT equal comic books. The fact that comic books have pretty much held a monopoly on them for decades isn't due to something inherent in the genre. The proof is out there. Look at the Avengers monster box office success this weekend alone. A highly successful comicbook is one that moves a couple hundred thousand copies in a month. Even at the peak of comic book popularity in the nineties, the bestselling issue X-Men Vol. 2 #1 sold about a million copies. This weekend, Avengers opened with over 200 million dollars in ticket sales. That's literally MILLIONS of people who have never picked up a comic book in their life, who saw the movie, loved the movie, told their friends and will probably buy the DVD or go see it again. Mainstream audiences like superheroes. There is absolutely a readership for non comic book superheroes.....many people have no interest in comic books because they don't like the format, they think they're for kids, because all the continuity and backstory is confusing, because they don't know where to start. Etc, etc.

And I'm sorry, but I or these other people tried it and it didn't work will never ever be an argument for why an entire subgenre of books are a hard sell. Publishing is an industry of infinite variables. There could be any number of reasons prior superhero projects didn't take off. None of them have any bearing on new or further attempts.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive, but this entire post is highly inaccurate and as a result, misleading. It's absolutely not that superhero fans aren't receptive to new ideas and characters....its that for the most part, publishers stick with the characters and properties that are known to make a profit. You're confusing cause and effect.

Not to mention your stats just aren't accurate. Take for instance the X-Men. In the current line-up of X-Men comics, there are easily a couple of dozen characters created in the three decades since Kitty Pryde who get just as much if not more page time than her. In the critically and commercially successful 'Wolverine and the X-Men' comic, fully half the cast was created in the past ten years, including Kid Omega, Oya, etc. The equally successful Uncanny X-Force stars Fantomex, a creation of the past ten years, and Deadpool, a creation of the nineties who has starred in several solo comicbook titles and featured prominently in the Wolverine movie and is being considered for his own spin off. These are fan favorite characters. Two of the characters in last year's X-Men: First Class movie only debuted in the comics in the past ten years. The last three X-Men video games have featured over a dozen characters from the nineties and the current century.

Claremont's 'Sovereign Seven' comic didn't fail because audiences don't want new characters, it failed because Claremont has been critically panned for almost twenty years now. All of his comics have done badly, including his return to the X-Men books, where he used all the old characters he'd once helped make famous. Sovereign Seven was quite simply just a bad comic. The characters were forgettable. Offhand I can think of a dozen superhero titles that debuted around the same time that are still thriving and with active fanbases. Gen13 - characters still active, rabid fanbase. Stormwatch, Wildcats, the Authority.....all hugely popular and critically and commercially viable.

George R. R. Martin did not have 'limited success' with Wildcards. Wildcards was one of many shared universe properties that all debuted around the same time in the early to mid-eighties. It shared shelf space with the likes of Thieves World and Shadowrun.....all of which have now gone the way of the dodo EXCEPT Wildcards. The 22nd volume of the Wildcards novels is due out this year....that's 22 novels in the same series since the first one debuted in 1987. That's not limited success. That's nearly unheard of longevity in any kind of fantasy or sci-fi prose series. There's a mere handful of other series that can claim that kind of longevity.

The idea that readers are hostile to new superhero characters is a fallacy much like the idea that comicbook readers can be polled on their opinions at all. There is a proportionally small but extremely vocal minority of comicbook readers who actively comment and post about comicbooks online. Some of the comicbooks that readers online seem to absolutely despise the most actually sell the most issues....because the vast majority of the people buying those issues just aren't joining the conversation online. Opinions online don't matter. Sales matter. And yes, a lot of new characters and books fail. A lot succeed as well. And quite often, there are other factors involved in why some books fail, and it quite often doesn't have anything to do with the characters' popularity.

You cited Runaways in another post....but the Runaways have been hugely popular with fans since their inception. Its just that after their creator left the title, the book changed writers every five or six issues, and none were able to find their footing. Runaways failed because of the WRITING, not because of the characters. The characters are still popular and frequently appear in other books, like currently where they're guest starring in Avengers Academy. You also cited the Young Avengers. The Young Avengers don't have a current monthly comic because their creator, Allan Heinberg is an active television writer who doesn't have time for a monthly comic and has an agreement with Marvel to be the only one to write them. Those characters are also hugely popular, and one of the most common questions Marvel hears is 'where are the Young Avengers showing up next?'

I don't mean to nitpick, but the idea that a superhero book is any harder to make successful than any other genre book is just absolutely untrue. The absence of a wildly successful superhero prose novel isn't an indicator of anything other than the fact that one hasn't broken out yet, much like dozens of other 'niche' premises. Good characters are good characters, its that simple. If a hundred fantasy books can do their own version of the chosen one sets out on a quest to save the world premise, there's no reason a hundred superheroes can't derive from similar beginnings.

The only problem with most new superheroes was mentioned tangentially earlier in the thread. The thing is, so many people focus on the gimmick, or the name, or the power....the flashy, superficial aspect that may be the first thing readers see about the character, but can't BE a character, in and of itself. Too many superhero writers forget to write a character first, a superhero/powers second. Spiderman isn't a beloved character because he has the powers of a spider....its because of his trademark theme of with great power comes great responsibility. Superman isn't Superman because he flies....its because he's the last survivor of an alien planet dedicated to defending his adopted world. Batman isn't cool because he dresses like a bat....but because he's a badass vigilante who was traumatized by the murder of his parents and set out to take justice in his own hands.

Figure out why your character is a hero in the first place, what makes them do it, what their higher calling is....THEN worry about their powers. That's what sets the memorable heroes apart from the crowd.

I actually agree with most of what you've written, but I did want to clarify one thing: from the responses I got editors are being cautious because they don't believe superhero novels can sell. In fact, that was pretty much the resounding theme of my submissions. Granted, mine isn't YA and that might fare better, but I guess the problem right now is that the superhero books that are out aren't selling particularly well, which is making it harder for others who are trying.

I'm sure I don't have the whole picture here, but from what I've heard from my agent and the feedback we received, editors don't think people buy books about superheroes. I'm sure considering the number of people writing them right now, someone somewhere is going to change that, but it's not likely to be an easy sell, and I do imagine it's going to take an editor being willing to take a risk and then that risk selling tons of copies to change this.

Personally, I think they're full of it and my book would of course have been a runaway bestseller, but I don't get to make that call. ;)

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I think the problem with using the Avengers as a reason why Superhero books might sell is that the Avengers was successful primarily because it was very very very visual. Pretty people, awesome fight scenes, great, charismatic actors, fast paced rapid fire dialogue that moves across the screen and heroes that have been established for years in comic books (it took about two-three years to establish them for movie goers). Reading a book about super heroes is just not the same experience as watching a well-executed 200 million dollar movie about superheroes. So people loving these movies doesn't necessarily mean that it'll translate into a desire to read superhero YA fiction...

If someone were to use the Avengers hype to their advantage, then ideally they should have been subbed years ago for release this summer...who knows how people will feel about it in two years (though I'm sure there'll be sequels).

All in all I do think it's more complicated. But I can say that I've never really been super interested in reading superhero books...again, for me it works more as a visual genre.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The bit about timing is what occurred to me as well. Even if the Avengers does great right now, who knows if they'll be popular in two years when a book would come out?

I do admit, writing a cool superhero story without the visual element is difficult. I focused more on characters and not really cool fight scenes. The plotting and story has to be done differently to accommodate the form, and that's not always easy.

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I should clarify....my stance in this thread has always been that I don't buy that superhero novels are a hard sell because readers are resistant to it. Editors/publishers thinking their risky is another story entirely, but I do believe that's a case of seeing some superhero novels underperform and extrapolating from there that the issue is the subgenre, rather than the specific books just not finding their readership. I strongly believe there's a lot of YA readers who'd be more than receptive to a strong, original, well executed superhero novel....we just haven't found the right breakout novel yet.

And Roly, that's an interesting point about superheroes belonging to a more visual medium. I'm not sure I totally agree though, because MDSchafer did have a good point.....there is a TON of popular YA about superpowered teens. Superpowered teens are essentially a YA trope in and of themselves, and there's not much difference from them and traditional superheroes as far as themes, visuals, etc go. Plenty of YA (and prose novels in general) have gone on to be action packed, extremely visual movies. It seems to be the idea of superHEROES, with the gimmicks and the codenames and the costumes that editors shy away from specifically....and again, that seems to be centered around the idea that superheroes 'belong' to the movie and comic book mediums. That they can't work in another medium. But something worth noting is that the current trend of superhero movies didn't really start until the X-Men movie in 2000. Before that there were a bare handful of superhero movies....the Superman and Batman movies essentially, that performed to varying degrees of success, but were considered outliers, exceptions to the rule. Before 2000, it was generally understood that for the most part superheroes 'belonged' to the comic book medium, that they didn't really work well on the big screen. Superman and Batman were the exception because of their tremendous popularity....every kid knew who they were, whether they read comics or not.....but fifteen years ago, not a single person would ever believe that characters like Iron Man, Thor and Captain America could be box office draws in their own right.

They were wrong about movies, it just took the right successes to demonstrate that. I say its the same with novels.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'm a huge fan of comic book superhereos (DC, though, not Marvel) and I haven't seen The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, The Avengers, Captain America, or any of the various material popping up around it.

I think it's fair to say that the moving going audience isn't the same as the comic book audience, which isn't the same as the YA book reading audience. One is comprised of a variety of people, one is mostly male, and the other is mostly female. There's some overlap, sure, but I doubt that superheroes will translate to novels because they're mostly visual and very serial. You can't write a full length novel a month with consistent quality the way you can write/draw a comic book. It's different qualities that attract different audiences.

I mean, if you compare the new DC line of comics to any popular Dystopian YA with powers, you're not going to find many similarities in the content.

1) Superhero comics, with the exception of Static and Spiderman (well, not always) and Young Justice and The Teen Titans and (maybe) X-Men, focus on adults, with adult problems. Even YJ and TT have frequent adult crossovers, and most of the time, they don't really behave like teens. They infrequently focus on problems that older teens would have, and the characters do age past adolescence.

2) There's almost always a romance in any popular YA book. Superhero comics do have romance, but not to the extent of pop YA. Yes, Kid Devil/Slade's Daughter and Superboy/Wonder Girl were an interesting sidetrack to YJ/TT, but they weren't as important as the main plot.

3) Again, the timeline in which comics are published. Once per month, sometimes, bi-weekly.

4) A lot of comics go darker than pop YA, depending on the writer. Novels don't have the freedom that comics do with getting a different writer/artist each week. And, frankly, that's part of what make superhero comics interesting for me. I like reading early Frank Miller, laughing at his latter attempts, reading Grant Morrison's Superman, and comparing Jim Lee's art to the late Mike Turner's.

That being said, it could work, but if you're trying to go traditional superhero in novel form, it's going to very difficult. Teen superheroes have a lot to work around, and most will probably end up with something like that god-awful Sky High bullshit. I've tried writing teen superhereos various times, but it just seems cheesy giving them names and costumes in text. I've always reverted it back to science-fantasy.

ETA: thinking about it, you do have MJ/Peter, Superman/Lois, Batman/various girls, but that depends on the issue, universe, etc. The thing I like about sh comics is the variety, the alterna-universes, and the retcon availablity. The publishing industry doesn't really have the freedom to just end a book series the way DC/Marvel can cancel a book if it isn't making money. Nor can they cross over characters as easily. For me, comics aren't really about the individual characters, so much as the universe they all exist in. And, because publishers probably aren't willing to give writers that much freedom, I don't see superhero novels gaining that much success. You've got DCU, but you don't see S&SU.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Comic books come out once a month. But movies don't, and there are already several successful superhero movies (from comic books, even) out there. It shows that a superhero's adventure does not have to be told in a once-a-month format to appeal to an audience. Why would a novel not have the same freedom to tell a single story about a superhero?

As mentioned in tbf's post, the comic-book-reading audience is not going to be the same as most YA novels' audience, but that doesn't mean that YA readers wouldn't want to read superhero novels. They just wouldn't want to read it in comic book form.

However, I think I've said upthread--or at least in about twenty billion recent threads we've had on trends--that superheroes are not an easy sell. Many agents who would take on a superhero book already have a client writing one. That means that they don't think they can't sell them at all. It just means that they don't think the market's going to open up to superheroes in such a way that it'd be worth having more than one client writing about them.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Comic books come out once a month. But movies don't, and there are already several successful superhero movies (from comic books, even) out there. It shows that a superhero's adventure does not have to be told in a once-a-month format to appeal to an audience. Why would a novel not have the same freedom to tell a single story about a superhero?

I'm under the impression that that's because the movies wouldn't be able to be so successful without the comics already existing. The huge pre-existing universe is what makes the movies, IMO. I think publishers would have to launch a huge line of SH books at once for it to catch on, and allow authors to work together. I mean, you don't just get a movie when these things launch -- you get a tv show, several different comic lines, and a bunch of straight to video animated movies, too, along with toys and fantastic visuals. And even then, something like Green Lantern still flopped at the box office because DC is really set on focusing on Batman right now. Building the hype around the SH movies is hard, and it takes time. That's why there's no Justice League movie, and probably why a Wonder Woman movie has been thrown around for years, but no moves to produce have been made, and why The Flash, Superman, and Martian Manhunter will probably never get their own movies for quite a while.

As mentioned in tbf's post, the comic-book-reading audience is not going to be the same as most YA novels' audience, but that doesn't mean that YA readers wouldn't want to read superhero novels. They just wouldn't want to read it in comic book form.

Yeah, there are probably a lot of readers who'd read a superhero novel. Just, from the general view of what makes something like Batman or Superboy popular, I can't see that translating well to novel form. I think it would take a new spin on superheroes for it to cross over to novel form. Something, very, very new.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The huge pre-existing universe is what makes the movies, IMO.
How does that work for the viewers who never read or watched the huge pre-existing universe? What's making the movies for them?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Bloodfiend--what makes superheroes popular? I can tell you what appeals to me about certain characters. Batman is interesting because of the dichotomy between his real life and the fake one. He's a superhero whose secret identity is Bruce Wayne, not Batman. That alone is telling, but the fact that he's incredibly intelligent, has given over his life to the superhero elements, and tends to be on the paranoid side, are all what makes him fascinating to me. What is it about those elements that couldn't be done well in a novel?

Similarly, I love Spiderman. He's my favorite in general. I love his sense of humor and the fact that a lot of the bad things that happen do so because he's Spiderman. There's always that question of whether or not he's saving people or harming people. And the whole watching him be pushed harder and harder and seeing how he reacts to that element as well.

I've talked to my other friends who enjoy comic books as well, and the reasons that we love particular characters and stories is for the character and the depth. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "I like Batman because he has the best fight scenes." Cool visuals and art are icing on the cake for me.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
How does that work for the viewers who never read or watched the huge pre-existing universe? What's making the movies for them?

In fact, a lot of times I think the people who do follow the stories in comic book form tend to be frustrated by movies. It seems like the long-term fans dislike changes that are made when it's changed to movie format, but the casual viewer who has only a general idea (if that) of the story are more satisfied because they don't notice the differences.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com

They still know who The Hulk is. Because it's the HULK. Or BATMAN. They're more than just a singular title. They're a brand. They're a name. They're Halloween costumes. Unless you're getting into more niche stuff like Vertigo's line, or Kick-Ass, pretty much everyone has heard of either Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America if they're American. I can't see the movies getting the same draw if it was Copper Man, Loki (well, maybe, because that would be kick-ass), or Captain Canada. That's part of why John Carter failed, IMO.

Of course, Hancock is an exception, but who remembers his costume? I think the draw to that was more black anti-hero with Will Smith riding on his fame wave, rather than just Hancock!

But who knows? I could be wrong. The next big thing could be Stargirl: The Trilogy. Except, well not Stargirl, because that name is already taken.

ETA:

Kaitie: I suppose I'd have to see it to believe it. Those themes work well in novels, yes, but could the story of Batman work well on paper? Could you read Arkham Asylum without the art, and without knowing Batman's history? I couldn't. But I'm a visual person, and I don't like reading comic books with endless thought bubbles that intrude upon the art. That's what I hate about a lot of Jeph Loeb's stuff. The art can hold the story without the words. And I guess it depends on what kind of superhero you're talking about. I'm really just talking about the popular titles that could translate to YA. Spiderman gets out of HS. Young Justice and Teen Titans (the old ones) are really the only titles that could be YA, right now. And a lot of the volumes for TT V3 is just visual fighting, which, tbh, isn't all that interesting for me read.

It could be done, but for me, it wouldn't be the same type of superhero that I'm used to thinking about. Batman isn't just the personality, he's also the costume, and the coloring style, and the pantheon of villains behind him.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It might just be a taste thing, then. I think novels make an awesome new way of exploring superhero stories mostly because of the differences in medium. And the people who read mine seemed to like it in spite of the lack of visuals (man I would love to do a website for it one day, though. I have the whole comic-book style layout in my head and it'd be awesome).

Obviously a lot of people think similarly to you, though. Personally, I enjoy it and I know other people who do as well, but I have no idea if I'm the norm or in the minority. You're right that part of Batman is the costume, but I visualize pretty well and so if an author gives a good description I can imagine things pretty well. Doesn't lend well to flashy fight scenes, but I still think it can work as long as authors recognize the limitations and strengths of various forms and accommodate accordingly.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP's question:

I think it's definitely unexplored and might be worth a try, but I also feel like superhero YA would be a pretty niche market. I might be wrong on that, but I personally wouldn't read a superhero book and don't know many who would. Obviously, some people will read that type of book, but I'm not sure the market is very big.

And if we're talking about The Avengers... I don't care for superheros. Frankly, they bore me. But in a movie with the comedy infusion, good acting, and action, I'll be interested. In a movie. In a book? Probably not.

Just my take, anyway, and since I know next to nothing about superhero YA, I might be wrong.

Delio

Registered
Reaction score
So it seems like costumes and such are a real turn off? That kinda makes me rethink the Magical girlish outfits my boys get. Or is it just Marvel/DC type of outfits?

KalenO

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In an interesting bit of timing, Victoria Schwab (author of the YA 'The Near Witch') just sold an adult novel to Tor. Her description of the book made me think of this thread, so I thought it'd definitely be of interest to the discussion. On her blog, she had this to say about it:

SECOND, I wrote an adult book! And I can finally reveal the real title for the long-time code-named project, VAGABOND PUPPIES!!!! It’s called VICIOUS and it’s got super powers and villains and all these awesome things, and I am OVER THE FREAKING MOON that you guys will actually get to read it!!

This was the book that I wrote for ME, when I needed a break from deadlines, something to disappear into. This was a project I didn’t tell ANYONE about–not even my agent!–until it was nearly done. And the more I wrote, the more I fell in love with it, and the more I desperately wanted to be able to share it, and the more afraid I was that I wouldn’t get the chance. It’s a strange little beast of a book, a comic book without pictures, a violent twist on heroes and villains, and I was terrified that no one would love it like I did. So when it went on sub this spring and sold to Tor, I pretty much LOST MY SH*T.

The official deal announcement and more about the book are in her full post here.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this on Publisher's Marketplace:

Amelia Kahaney's THE BROKENHEARTED, in which a wealthy ballerina living in a heightened, Gotham-like version of Chicago, has her heart broken - literally - and receives a dangerous bionic heart, transforming her into a superhero, to Sarah Landis at Harper Children's, in a good deal, in a two-book deal, for publication in Fall 2013, by Sara Shandler and Joelle Hobeika at Alloy Entertainment (World English).

Harper Children's from Alloy?! They must be expecting this to be big.

eablevins

Writer, Wife, Cartoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eablevins.net
I've been working on superhero YA stories for years, actually. :) I have about seven books started, one finished and in beta reading, one in first-draft revision.

I've also been influenced by Sailor Moon. ^_^ One of my stories came directly from a dream I had about Sailor Mercury.

Last edited:

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Over the weekend I discovered Wearing the Cape by Marion G. Harmon, a upper YA superhero series that's self-published. It's really good. Two books out, third one in the works.

Thought this thread would be a good place to mention it. Some of you would enjoy it, I'm sure.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of Sara Shandler or Joelle Hobeika, but they're from Alloy Entertainment, which is a book packager, so they aren't really agents. Book packagers assess the market and come up with story ideas they think will fill a gap and become a big hit, then hire a writer to write it, then sell it to publishers. Gossip Girl, The Luxe, Pretty Little Liars... all series that came from Alloy.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Reviving this thread because I wanted to know if there've been any changes in the past couple of years in terms of the superhero YA market.

Last edited: