Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Hi Thalia!

Seems like good news in here for the most part (repped as I went along).

I'm going into full on panic mode here so i think I'm going to go into radio silence...web silence?... internet silence?

I'm going to be quiet until I get some work accomplished. Although I may pop back in here or QLH somewhere along the way. Otherwise scream at me if you see me before June.

Be happy and healthy! :)

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've take a big step purgies. A huge, gigantic step in my self confidence. I actually bought a full length mirror.

No, I didn't have one before because I hated how I looked pretty much most of the time. But apparently I have enough confidence now to buy one without even thinking about it because I got sick of not being able to see if my clothes looked alright.

Weird...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
AL, good for you! Confidence is key.

Edits are done and off to super agent round three. *flops on couch*

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
INK!!! That's great news!

Hi, Thalia. Nice to meet you.

Blond - I'm liking this guy so much. He seems so sweet.

My DH left me his work internet stick thingy, so despite still not having working wifi, I can at least get online via my computer. Which made Boy1 unhappy because he had to do a ton of make up school work today online - and watch Khan academy videos (which he loves). He was hoping for another easy day at the cafe.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Dawn!

Hey, writerly question! Does anyone else know a lot of really specific things about their characters before they've even figured out the backstory? For example, in my current WIP, I know every characters' Starbucks order without thinking about it, but don't know any of their parents very well. Anyone else like that?

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Rick! Welcome home. :)

Thalia, I know a lot about my characters and their back stories seem to write themselves. I usually feel like I'm channeling my characters, rather than creating them. But, until I actually sit down and write the back story, I may not be consciously aware of all the details.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yay, AL!

A Rick sighting!

Thalia, we were just talking about this. :) I create detailed character charts when I outline, both of which happen before I start writing the actual story.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often do, Thalia. While I don't write up character charts or anything so formal, knowing what kind of people they are--what they'd order at a restaurant, how much they care about their cars, their political stances--helps them seem more complete to me before the backstory part comes into play.

Ink, I can finally exhale. Thank you!

I'm officially old. Beastie Boys does not resonate with me, although if you all are saddened, then I'll be saddened as well, as is right when someone dies too early. Fucking cancer.

Anyone got Cinco de Mayo plans? I'll be making burritos, but that's about it.

Maryn, who probably shouldn't eat that

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
That's the best news, Ink :hooray:

Kick some butt, Brandy. See you when you're done.

*waves to Thalia*

*waves to everyone!*

Where did this week go?

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Rick!!! Did you get your blackberry back from the C1A yet? :D

*I* am having a GREAT DAY!

*looks around* *knocks on wood*

I got my snafu with my event for real job fixed for tomorrow, so I’m not going to get in trouble and it might actually, yanno, go well.

AND, I got another email from lovely editor lady.

Blondie, go ahead with your “I told you so.” God knows I’ve said it to you enough. :)

It began with: "You've been quite professional, and I find your enthusiasm quite catching."

LONG email. Very nice. She said she didn’t care that I spelled her name wrong. She gave me all of her notes on my ms, saying “I’m going to give you what I’d give an author I had under contract.” :D

Highlights:
"In mystery, series is queen! Readers love a good series, where they can follow a charming protag from one whodunnit to another, book after book. Ebooks have made this genre even more popular because mystery readers tend to devour books quickly. And when you read a good one, you want to jump into the next one right away.

<MC> makes a great series heroine. You've got an interesting premise with a young reporter in an area of the country ripe with scandal, drama, and backdrop.”

Followed by lots of thoughts and suggestions, basically boils down to, “everyone is too nice, you need to up the stakes and make people root for her.”

Ending with: "Feel free to reach out anytime you have a set of questions for me. I'm happy to answer them. And I'm excited to see what you can do with this!”

:D :snoopy:

Fire, this is good, right?

I know it’s not a yes. But maybe is better than no. So, now I have work to do. And let’s hope I don’t screw it up, m’Kay? ;)

Let’s go, vol. 7!

Happy Friday, y’all!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maryn, the males are refereeing soccer all weekend, so my ambitious goal is to finish the massive book 3 edits, and (possibly) begin the last pass-through before sending it back to The Editor.

Yes, I'm quite possibly insane.

There will be food of some kind in the evening, I guess. Possibly tacos. :)

Tonight I'm making fried chicken and Red Lobster biscuits.

ETA: Lwalker, that is veryveryvery good. *truckloads of vamp dust*

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight I'm making fried chicken and Red Lobster biscuits.

ETA: Lwalker, that is veryveryvery good. *truckloads of vamp dust*

*dives into back of vamp dust truck and backstrokes like Scrooge McDuck in the money bin*

Thanks!

And, what time should I be there for dinner? YUM.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, LW, I'd say that's very good. :D The editor sounds absolutely lovely.

*waves to Rick*

*books ticket to fly to Lily's for dinner*

Status
Not open for further replies.