What's special about YA horror?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
It's more that horror (good films like Jacobs Ladder, Silent Hill, and to some degree 12 Monkeys) left you with a wholly different feeling than say ... Hunger Games, an equivalently scary story. Like it's just as scary, but the mood was different. More like a single person alone in a town.

This is what I love about a good horror. Realistically, I don't get "scared" by a movie or book, but I want that foreboding sensation that clings to you like the smell of smoke.

Stephen King's It did such a good job of that (movie and book), and I think it could be considered YA. Half, if not most of, the time its from the kid's perspectives, etc.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see more creepy/mindscrew kind of horror. What I've seen so far was either pretty mild or slasher style. Though there are also some notable exceptions like ANNA DRESSED 1N BLOOD. I just like those sad bloody girls with long black hair, even if she didn't crawl up the wall spider-style. Oh, and as for the gorefest, Darren Shan all the way.
There is also a fair bit of zombie/post-ap/dystopia with horror overtones, like Carrie Ryan's books.

What I'd like to see is something like DARK WATERS (that's the movie) or THE OTHERS... nightmarish, reality-bending, not so much in your face, but with a sense of mystery behind everything that happens.

I do think it's more difficult to write YA horror because horror seems to often require POV jumps to be effective and YA seems to favor a single narrator. With a single narrator and an unbroken narrative, it's more creepy thriller style. At least with the slasher style you do need to jump to deaths, all those different deaths are the meatloaf of the subgenre.

I agree on the mother and child bond, but I also think there is a lovers bond kind of horror archetype, too. All those wronged women ghosts. Love as strong as death. Eroc and Thanatos, the hyperdrive behind the reign of paranormal romance.

I also think there is a possibility to make coming of age possible in the teen horror genre because there is a way to make the protagonist stronger by forcing them through a trial of fear and danger.

I would love to see some toned-down Lovecraftian horror in YA. Or maybe a better example is Daryl Gregory. Extra-dimensional, more than just the standard horror creatures horror.
There is a YA book by one of our own AWers with a Lovecraftian theme... I think this is the one
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18490576-summoned

Also, I always wanted to write one. Colors so wrong looking at them drives you insane, geometry that hurts your brain with its impossible frames... delightful stuff.

#
I'm drafting something now, it is still deciding whether it's a horror (of the low key, creepy variety) or a psych thriller/contemp. Kind of like typical YA romance meets SILENT HILL. xD

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading THE GIRL FROM THE WELL by Rin Chupeco right now. It's definitely, definitely horror, very creepy. Very clearly inspired by Japanese horror movies.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I watched too many horror movies and read too many horror novels when I was younger, and I'm just jaded now... but I just find it extremely rare these days to find a book or movie that actually creeps me out.

A 'gore and guts' fest isn't scary to me; it's gross and an easy out. What I find effective (and way harder to pull off) is psychological horror, whether or not it has supernatural elements. And I think (hope???) there surely MUST be room for that/more of that in YA.

I've read a bunch of contemporary authors whose YA books are classified as "horror," and I really didn't find them all that scary, save for a scene or two in each (yeah: that scene in Anna Dressed in Blood, and maybe one other one in Asylum, but that's about it). Not necessarily saying I didn't enjoy them, but ADiB was pretty much a boy-version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where ghosts take the place of vampires... I mean, it was fun and everything, but scary? Not so much. And I don't care zombies are scary and originally the stuff of actual horror movies: I still wouldn't call Forest of Hands and Teeth (and sequels) or Warm Bodies "horror." Again, I enjoyed them, but are they horror? Not so much, IMO. More dystopian.

My current WIP started out as YA horror, but then it just kinda went elsewhere. It still has a few horror elements, but I definitely wouldn't call it true horror.

Personally, I'd love to see a YA Haunting of Hill House, but that may be because I'm a sucker for a good haunted house story. :D

That being said, I've read the OP's (The_Ink_Goddess/Beth) query-in-progress for her WIP, and it does sound like true horror to me and I would SO COMPLETELY READ IT!!! Got that, Beth? Hurry up! Write, revise, submit, publish! Can't wait. :)

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I watched too many horror movies and read too many horror novels when I was younger, and I'm just jaded now... but I just find it extremely rare these days to find a book or movie that actually creeps me out.

A 'gore and guts' fest isn't scary to me; it's gross and an easy out. What I find effective (and way harder to pull off) is psychological horror, whether or not it has supernatural elements. And I think (hope???) there surely MUST be room for that/more of that in YA.

I've read a bunch of contemporary authors whose YA books are classified as "horror," and I really didn't find them all that scary, save for a scene or two in each (yeah: that scene in Anna Dressed in Blood, and maybe one other one in Asylum, but that's about it). Not necessarily saying I didn't enjoy them, but ADiB was pretty much a boy-version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where ghosts take the place of vampires... I mean, it was fun and everything, but scary? Not so much. And I don't care zombies are scary and originally the stuff of actual horror movies: I still wouldn't call Forest of Hands and Teeth (and sequels) or Warm Bodies "horror." Again, I enjoyed them, but are they horror? Not so much, IMO. More dystopian.

My current WIP started out as YA horror, but then it just kinda went elsewhere. It still has a few horror elements, but I definitely wouldn't call it true horror.

Personally, I'd love to see a YA Haunting of Hill House, but that may be because I'm a sucker for a good haunted house story. :D

That being said, I've read the OP's (The_Ink_Goddess/Beth) query-in-progress for her WIP, and it does sound like true horror to me and I would SO COMPLETELY READ IT!!! Got that, Beth? Hurry up! Write, revise, submit, publish! Can't wait. :)

Ahhh, you're so sweet! I'm blushing. (I also really want to read your flamenco Red Shoes. Are you currently querying?)

Oh, God, the Haunting of Hill House. That book effed me up for some reason, and there was no reason that couldn't be done in YA, but maybe we're edging closer to the reason that most of these books that are being pitched as 'horror'...aren't, really. See, I don't really find the slasher movie depressing (occasionally pointless and gratuitous though - but I still like a good slasher), but I find a good psychological horror a downer, in a total "wow, this is great, but I also want to bathe my brain in a tub of bleach." I think it's something about being introduced to some likeable characters and then watching them go mad and turn on each other. It always affects me very deeply.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm seconding mind screw type horror. I don't mind the accidental mind screw where it's a normal story accidentally confusing.

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, you're so sweet! I'm blushing.

:) I totally mean it! It sounds right up my alley.

(I also really want to read your flamenco Red Shoes. Are you currently querying?).

Awww... Now who's being sweet! :eek: Nope. Not querying yet. With betas. :) Still waiting to hear from a couple of them.

Oh, God, the Haunting of Hill House. That book effed me up for some reason, and there was no reason that couldn't be done in YA, but maybe we're edging closer to the reason that most of these books that are being pitched as 'horror'...aren't, really. See, I don't really find the slasher movie depressing (occasionally pointless and gratuitous though - but I still like a good slasher), but I find a good psychological horror a downer, in a total "wow, this is great, but I also want to bathe my brain in a tub of bleach." I think it's something about being introduced to some likeable characters and then watching them go mad and turn on each other. It always affects me very deeply.

All excellent points! :) I wonder if there's a way to work with all that 'psychological horror downer' thing, and somehow still manage to end on a note of hope or something. That way, a book would be able to fulfill the expectations of our current YA readers, while also staying somewhat true to the horror genre. Obviously, I don't mean a peppy, happy, and-they-all-went-to-the-beach ending. Just leaving off with some [perhaps understated] sense of hope. I don't know. :Shrug:

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
It's really, really good :D

*Blushes madly, but is giddy with joy* And awwwwww to you! Thank you! :Hug2:

It's going to be way better, thanks to the fabulous input I've been getting from some of the best betas I've had the luck to work with! :Hug2:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
:) I totally mean it! It sounds right up my alley.

Awww... Now who's being sweet! :eek: Nope. Not querying yet. With betas. :) Still waiting to hear from a couple of them.

All excellent points! :) I wonder if there's a way to work with all that 'psychological horror downer' thing, and somehow still manage to end on a note of hope or something. That way, a book would be able to fulfill the expectations of our current YA readers, while also staying somewhat true to the horror genre. Obviously, I don't mean a peppy, happy, and-they-all-went-to-the-beach ending. Just leaving off with some [perhaps understated] sense of hope. I don't know.
:Shrug:

Good luck! :)

I think there definitely is - but sadly that also the downer comes from there being a sense of the "unstoppable" that horror is so built on. With that said, there are definitely endings of psych. horror books/movies that I found hopeful, usually at a great cost. It's just much harder to do, or at least to suggest that the MC is free from the horror, because of how much time is usually spent going, "there's no way out."

On the other hand: One of the reasons that I think horror could work very, very well in YA, though, is the sense of the teen being trapped. Adult MCs usually have to overcome the "why not just leave the house" thing, and so the plot usually has to be contrived so that they can't, i.e. they're very isolated, or they don't suspect what's happening until it's too late. Most young MCs can't just change schools, move houses or switch towns because something weird is happening. They have to go through their parents, and the parents might not believe them (or, in my case, be in on it themselves ;)).

Last edited:

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Most young MCs can't just change schools, move houses or switch towns because something weird is happening. They have to go through their parents, and the parents might not believe them (or, in my case, be in on it themselves ;)).

Exactly! :D That's one of the reasons why it kinda baffles me that there's no more YA horror per se out there! The possibilities are totally there. But we go back to audiences expectations of happy/satisfying endings (and romantic tension of some sort), right? Mind you, far as I'm concerned, The Shining has a satisfying ending of sorts. One could even call it 'hopeful,' if with sad undertones. I think that's exactly the kind of ending YA horror could get away with--which falls kind of in between the bleakness of psychological horror and the 'scarred-for-life-lone-survivor' ending of the slasher genre.

And you know what? Now that I think of it, Carrie is YA horror, isn't it? Teen MC, lots of teen angst, high-school-is-hell themes, and, hello, BULLYING! And yet, I don't think I've ever seen it marketed as YA at all. I mean, I wasn't even born when it was first published, and I realize that back in the day, "YA" didn't exist as such... But newer editions could have totally tapped into that market, especially with the movie remake having just been in theatres relatively recently.

Man, this thread is making me want to write true YA horror now! :ROFL:

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
I don't think anyone mentioned this (surprising!) But R.L. Stine has a new Fear Street book out. http://rlstine.com/fear-street/

I remember reading that he was going to start it back up a while back and I guess his first one came out this month

My inner thirteen year old is fangirling so hard right now...

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what would've happened if Carrie was released now instead of back then. The fact that King almost trashed that books makes me twitchy.

My inner thirteen year old is fangirling so hard right now...

MINE TOO! I swear I spent most of my money in middle school (which wasn't much) buying my precious RL Stine books.

(Also, I found out yesterday that he's the keynote speaker at a writers conference near me next spring! EEEP!)

I totally agree with the comment about bleach-bath books. Those are the best horror, though I also enjoy books/movies that are creepy or slashers. Not so much gorefests. The only book I remember really freaking me out to the point of no longer reading it was a true crime book about a serial killer who did some f-ed up stuff to women. There's still one bit that makes me shudder when I remember it.

Last edited:

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
When I was around 14, I read this book called "After" (can't remember the author's name right now) and it really creeped me out. I read it again a few years later and it definitely seemed more satirical and commentary-like than actually scary, but it was truly a suspense/horror for me at the time. It's about this school where a nearby school has a shooting (like Columbine), so the MC's school (nearby) starts getting all these strict preventative measures and a creepy new principal that oversees it all. It starts off with things like stricter rules, but then gets more and more totalitarian to the point of controlling what the kids do out of school. The parents also are goaded into being in on it as well. Only the MC and his friends pick up on the fact that something genuinely scary is going on. Some of the kids start to vanish, and it's implied that they go off to some kind of concentration-camp like place.
It sounds corny how i'm explaining it but it was really a suspenseful read! (at least at the time)

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm writing a YA horror! Almost done and ready to start querying, in fact. It's more of a fun, snarky, Buffy-style kind of horror, though. I wonder if that counts? There's plenty of demons and gore and all that jazz.

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on an Horror right now that is Bathory meets the Winchester Mansion meets Greek Mythology... so basically it's about a family of serial killers who live in an haunted house, and whose job is to feed innocent souls to the underworld. Hopefully, I'll finish it before the interest in YA Horror dies down.

I remember as a kid/teenager I loved the 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' TV-show. It had absolutely no gore in it and yet it was incredibly scary (and I'm saying this as someone who saw Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's play, etc before I even started pre-school, so I'm not easily scared). The show was just really good at building up tension.