Favorite lines you've written

Talkatoast

Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite line from my prologue. I just love the image it conjures.

Slush cradles in dents all around as spring's first flowers try to create new lives of their own.

And sadly, I have my prologue pretty much memorized.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
Another one.

Everything finally fell together, like so many paths joining as one with a wild calm, opposites describing the same thing, simplistic in its beauty.

Life made sense.

She was home, and she didn’t want to be anywhere else.

And another:

Isabela shook her head and smiled, a tiny smile as delicate as a butterfly’s wings spreading out to take flight against a midnight sky.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I like this one because the whole scene preceeding it has allowed my story to get extremely dark and to take off in such a dark direction:

Who the hell was this woman? What had she seen? And why was she sleeping in my house, dreaming of a nuclear war that had never taken place and telling VIVID stories about such a war? For some reason, I had felt like I had opened Pandora’s Box.

runner4life

Forever in Elysium
Registered
Reaction score
A little something from a WIP

The gun pressed up against the back of her head, she reached behind and grabbed the cold barrel. The woman gingerly pulled Logan to the side. Looking up, she saw a mutilated face from the gunshot. She stared, not at the bleeding wound but instead at his familiar eyes.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
After digging out of his own grave and coming face to face with his grieving loved ones

"Well, this is slightly awkward."

An ex-police officer trying unsuccessfully to break into a car

The sirens were a lot closer. "Get the baby out," Bill demanded.
"I'm trying, but it's stuck!" Mike snapped. He gave up on the harness and tried to move the seat itself, with no luck. "Please," he pleaded. "Just let me get my child."
"I have to go!" Bill said.
"DON'T TAKE MY SON!" Mike shouted.
"I HATE THIS F***ING TOWN!" Bill screamed and threw his hands over his head.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Something from the latest chapter...

‘Field division doesn’t supply cookies. We supply cookies. Join us, we have cookies. Field division seems to be the anti-cookie. No wait, that’s a lie, combat division is the anti-cookie, field is more like the Judas of the cookies. Willing to betray the sanctity of cookies for something else.’

‘Like pie?’

The girl shook her head. ‘Pie is also good. But you’re on the cookie side of the room.’ She indicated to the other row of desks. ‘That’s the pie side, do you need to swap?’

‘No, no, cookie good. Cookie very good.’

Triomferus

Lightbringer
Registered
Reaction score
Random thing I say when playing Counter-Strike: Source online:

Incoming tactical nuclear strike, get under the desk now!

It has little to do with the game, but I like the irony of how there is no such thing as a "tactical" nuclear strike in the way it's meant in the quote. Sure, it could be used as a tactical tool in war, but it isn't like you just nuke a single building :p.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
I guess this is from a few days ago, but I don't know exactly as I don't really remember writing it. Sorry for the length.

By this time several other of their shipmates, including the captain, had joined them looking off the side of the ship at the strange phenomena that was occurring. They were just in time to witness the appearance of one of the most rare and unusual looking creatures on land, sea or anywhere else rare and unusual creatures might be found. And she had a name, which, when spoken, forced the spirits of the sea to sit up and take notice; a name that in the course of eternity had become synonymous with fear and mystery throughout the hearts and souls of those who slept at sea. Indeed, the name “Bermuda” was the central character in many of the tales and songs shared by seaman at ports all across the globe; fodder for an evening of strong drink and gossip. And she was there to do what she was so very good at--take down yet another sailing vessel.

Must have been posessed.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
This one's shaping up to be a bit darker than the first:

She didn’t reply. She kept her focus on the road and her mind was elsewhere. I still couldn’t shake the look that was in her eyes only moments before, when she had shot and killed two men without hesitation. I could tell by that look that she was no stranger to violence, nor was this her first blood. She had shed blood before and that was apparent by the ease with which she had squeezed the trigger. The expressionless look on her face after the two men had fallen in their tracks told a lifetime’s worth of stories through her eyes.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Today, from my WIP When a Heart is Stolen:

Tessa sat up. She was out of breath. She turned her head to Mark’s side of the bed and grasped at the sheets that should have been warm from the heat of his body. Instead, they were cold and vacant. She bit her lip and blinked back tears as her heart slowly returned to its steady rhythm and the pieces of her memory started to fall back into place.

It had only been a dream.

It had been so real, but it had been only a dream.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This early 17th century stuff is killing me. Way out of my element here dabbling in historical fiction/fantasy but hey, it's good experience.

“If King James perceived you to be such a threat, I’m sure he would have sent me along with a doctor and a priest as well, for you my good sir, are in serious need of a demonic exorcism followed by a good bleeding.”

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
From my newest WIP --

Adonai Twiceborn killed her first mother before she ever drew a breath.

And now she comes to kill you.

Do you hear her? The clashing of swords are her footsteps. The cries of the dying are her battle-horns. She who is the Way made Flesh; upon her capricious star is pinned the hopes of a people entire.

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
How I had managed to create such a deceptive reality was baffling to me.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
From recent short story:

Doctors are like the rest of the human race, blow-flies trying to find out which shit works.

Last edited:

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I think my favourite line that I've written would be:

As if committing suicide was contagious.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Current WIP:

I remember looking out the window at all the people, meandering aimlessly about their daily business with a sense of pride and routine. I watched kids being rowdy with each other and I watched adults bark at their kids to get them to settle down. I watched young and old, wild and free and lost and hopeless, all smattered together at the local watering hole-—for no other purpose than to gather a few items to get them a little further into the future. It was then that I had realized that we are all time travelers, wandering about this dying planet trying to infuse some sort of life into it, but having that life choked out of us as we grow older.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
On the other side of town, children held fast to their parents' legs when they first set eyes on the Lost Playground of Misery.
This was a strange, frightening place for a child - a glowering wooden serpent circled the roundabout, it's eyes wide and hypnotic; statues of crying boys and girls sat on the park benches, the red paint flecked and weather-worn; a vampire-like figure stood by the broken-down swings, it's grey face marred by a lusty smile.

Cobwebs, some still the homes of their creators, hung like delicate jewellery on the bodies of the macabre animals which stood sentinel over the cursed playground, wooden tigers, black bears, and silvery wolves. The centrepiece was large rocking horse, a figure from a Fuselian nightmare, all bloodstained hooves and terrified, terrifying eyes.
From 'Urban Legend':
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103634

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
this one made me chuckle a bit this morning, current WIP:

As the lady pulled into a smaller house, Eve stepped on the gas pedal and rolled right up behind her. I saw her face as she emerged from her car, watching it crinkle with confusion and wonder. Before I could say or do anything, Eve was out of the car and had the gun to her face. I watched as her expression turned from confusion to horror and I shook my head in disgust. We were definitely ruining her day—that was for damn sure.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Start of a new chapter.

Long before the European white man learned of the medicinal and spiritual usage of things found in nature, the islanders tending to Matthew’s health had perfected the craft. As he rested on the remarkably comfortable mattress in what was once Cheeves’ bedchamber, sipping a tea brewed from a native herb, his physical status was good. It was the mental part he was worried about. Everything seemed just a little off--like he had taken a wrong turn somewhere.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Current WIP:

I picked myself off the floor that day. Anger, rage, hopelessness, fear, regret—they all tag teamed me at once and laughed in my stupid face. The devil himself was standing at the gates of my mind, wooing me with his sorceress lies, tempting me with that maddening fruit. It was when my friend came out from the bathroom, bloodshot eyes looking at me head to toe, and told me that I had been out of control. That I had entered a swinging contest, and had had unprotected sex with a half dozen girls before passing out in the bedroom before someone dragged me out into the living room and laid me beside the garbage can. It was that moment that I realized, if I hadn’t already caught the crotch rot, infused myself with an AIDS ridden needle, or magnified some imaginary tumor in my head and taken ten years off my life or more, that I would walk away from this life and consider myself lucky to be unscathed. No, drugs were not an option for me. Not anymore.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From my WIP:

He was close, so close that Tessa could smell the freshness of his soap and the soft, woody scent of his cologne rising from his skin. He looked into her eyes, and something flickered between them. It happened so fast that Tessa couldn’t be sure what it was, but it had happened. As she held her new born baby against her chest – the baby that was the result of a passionate love, promises of forever, and stolen hearts - it had happened. A heat, a flash of white light, a slightly altered heartbeat, a shiver down her spine.

It had happened.