Favorite lines you've written

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
She slapped his arm again. "Ow," he yelped. "What was that for? I wasn't cussing!"
"You were thinking cusswords," she accused.
Why did she always have to be right?

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, alright :p I"m bored before work shift begins so...a few.

From the original draft of Caesura, and I intend to leave it in there:
"You were you. You should never dwell on whether you deserve another person. No one ever deserves someone else…after all, mankind seems destined to act selfishly, greedy, deceitfully and violently towards itself. How does that deserve friendship, love and companionship? It doesn’t, but somehow these connections save mankind. Somehow, these connections are forged despite the ill will in the world. You and I are connected by nimble threads of fate, and nothing can sever that, not distance, not people, not war, not death. Love formed through friendship is the strongest human relationship. Nothing defeats people who love and befriend each other."

From a yet unfinished short story:

They lived, as all things do, in a precarious balance between perfect harmony and a cataclysmic ending.

From Twelve,

"They chase you down, and tie you up, like an animal. All my life I’ve been treated as lesser. You don’t understand. No one has ever treated me as someone. None of you ever lost your sense of self. You are heroes in this place, gods among mortals. We are the dregs, the crossed out words and the dust under the rug. We exist, but only when you need us to exist. We are heroes when you need heroes. We are beautiful, when you need faces. But we are never people. We have never been people, and there is nothing more frightening than knowing what you should be and failing to be that no matter how hard you try.”

and another one from the same chapter (probably my favorite chapter of what I've written)
Alex reached forward to touch her elbow and as he began to walk up the stairs, he paused and said quietly, “Thank you, Hallie Ziro.”

“Just doing my job, Alexander Sarjio,” she answered tiredly and then she laughed softly. “I see things falling out of the sky, golden feathers and black arrows bleeding ink and paper covering the city. Zair in the ocean, a terrible storm, and a fire that consumes everyone. It’s the downfall of seeing things most people don’t see: I can’t stop myself from dreaming and seeing. For once, I want to see something worth seeing again.”

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
From my half-finished dark fantasy/wry comedy:

The taller, stronger Serano pressed down, causing his blade to screech along Adam's dagger, towards the boy's shoulder.

Bolitho, help. Please.
He could almost see the demon roll his eyes. "What would you do without me?"
Do you really want an answer to that?
"Nope."

Comments appreciated :D

Haha, reminds me a conversation my best friend and I had. We spend most of the day texting back and forth and I talk to her for at least an hour every day on the phone (we're thousands of miles apart).

Her: What would I do without you?
Me: Have a lower phone bill?

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my particular fave:

"The End"

I'm quite fond of that line. Please don't steal. TM

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How many of you would be willing to kill those lines you just posted if, in your revisions, you no longer needed them and your story would be better for it?

lute

How many of you would be willing to kill those lines you just posted if, in your revisions, you no longer needed them and your story would be better for it?

I suppose if it made the story better I would be more apt to doing it. However, I'd probably recycle it and tailor it to another story, because I don't usually have a knack for writing awesome lines, so I tend to cling to them.

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
From 'This Brief Freedom' (I have so many favorites that I had trouble choosing)

- "Are you afraid to kill me, Hamlet?"

- "Raising my head is like bending iron, but once i have, i cannot imagine looking down again" (the latter was one of those lines that was just supposed to be cut and dry, but when i read over it, it was so symbolic i nearly fell over)

- "Her white dress is a blatant contradiction"

- "We women aren't supposed to taste such forbidden fruit as this."

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
1)I sipped my coffee as she ran by the diner window, arms flapping and red hair flying behind her like some great flamingo with a glandular problem. I tipped my cup to her. It’s never a good idea to ignore the bluebird of happiness, especially the red ones.

2) different book-- “The truth?” he asked, falling back on the bed with a groan. “And what is the truth? Tell me a truth Kurria, any truth. I long to hear one simple truth.”

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
Dylan and Corbin again. Corbin is eating loudly, annoying his brother in the process.

“Will you please stop that?” Dylan asked fervently without looking up from his console.

“Stop what?” Corbin asked around another mouthful of food.

“You continue eating that loud, those overgrown lizards out there are gonna hear you.”

dragoon_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Um, ok, so I know that I already posted favorite lines I've written, but I just wrote this one last night and it has got to be THE greatest line I've ever written, ever. It took a lot of editing, too. My heroine's thoughts:

The great thing about wanting to impress a potential boyfriend is the opportunity you get to recycle those tried and tested gestures, quips, and bits of wisdom that always make you more attractive.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
Um, ok, so I know that I already posted favorite lines I've written, but I just wrote this one last night and it has got to be THE greatest line I've ever written, ever. It took a lot of editing, too. My heroine's thoughts:

Post as many times as you like. There should be no limit to the number of great lines you have written or will write in the future.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
One more:

His head was narrow and long with angles in all the wrong places, as though he’d been dragged into this world not through a womb, but a keyhole.

Darkness Rising

Registered
Reaction score
Two of my favorite lines from my WIP. One is the thoughts of my main character after watching a destructive event. The last is the comments of a guard as my main character's friends walk out a transportation device.

Those were people: children, mothers, and sons. He destroyed dreams and crushed hopes, leaving virtue as smoke.

The others filed out. "Oh, gods, look at those eyes. Damn scary, get into the light. Thank you. And you, well, you're old, Quendelian, too. You're pushing five hundred easy."

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
I have the most fun with character descriptions:

It wasn’t his get-up that had me staring at the old Indian, it was his face. It was like looking into the eyes of a five-foot-five Shar Pei. His skin was a blotchy brown, weathered and pitted, like a catcher’s mitt that’d been left out in the rain for a few weeks, then beaten with a rock. I’d seen sun-damaged skin before but this was ridiculous. I’ve thrown away better looking shoes.

AJ Clare

Don't get me started
Registered
Reaction score
"I was going to send out a search party," she complained. "I thought you'd run off to the Antarctic like Frankenstein's bloody monster or something."

"Frankenstein? Nice. I make you feel like Frankenstein?"

Claire shook her head. "Frank-N-Furter, maybe. Better shoes and lingerie, less Promethean angst."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, two lines...so sue me.

She felt a quipy one- liner rise inside of her like a sneeze.

And, like a sneeze, it actually felt really good to let it out. “You talk to0 much,” she said, lowering the splintered chair.

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
"Besides, you know what will happen if Mom knew I was letting you struggle alone: she'll kill me - or worse, lecture me."

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
“It almost sounds like a pack of coyotes,” observed Ben. “Except they don’t normally come this far into town and they usually don’t say stuff like ‘why, dear God, why?’”

The Exorcist

Registered
Reaction score
My first try was nonsnese, let me try again-

After a decent interval, they gathered her up and took her away from Khole's corpse. The men handled her as gently and a humbly as possible. Schaeffer was not the only one that would be looking at her in a different light from now on. Not only had an Ice Queen undergone a total meltdown in public, but her display was the kind of thing men dream of. Secretly, men yearn to be sung off to Valhalla by thier own personal Valkyrie.

Long, but not too long, I hope.