Right Direction For My Story?

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I had mapped out in my mind a fantasy story, not a novel, only about 60,000 words or so. A standalone story involving some hedgewitches and the sidhe set in a celtic mythology type milieu. It's a basic rescue plot.

But I just couldn't start it. So in an attempt to kick-start the writing flow I wrote a very long sex scene involving two characters as a bit of a lark and dipping my toe into the erotica genre. I ended up writing a 4,000 word chapter in which the plot for my story really seemed to come alive. I've now continued in the same vein and written about 12,000 words of this story.

The trouble is, I now cannot see this story without all the graphic sex, it adds to the story immensely not just for it's excitement factor but also because it helps to define the magical system present in this world and also some major themes too. But I never intended to write an erotic novel and really wonder if its the right direction for my story. Mostly because I don't want a good story and interesting characters to be overshadowed by all the stereotypes about this particular genre.

And I like my world and the characters enough to want to write more than just this story about them. I can already see several other related stories (although not necessarily sequels) in this world. I've put a lot of time and energy into creating interesting and [I hope] believable characters and am kind of worried that they will get lost in the reader's search for titilation. But then adding that little bit of kink on top of a character just seems to being adding great spice to a good cake.

I don't know much about this genre, I've not read a great deal within it. Fantasy is where I have read extensively and it's where my heart lies. But then my story isn't anything more than a rather small book and most fantasy runs into the epic category, so I'm not sure I've got enough to get a toehold in that genre on it's own.

Any advice you can offer would be great.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
When you originally mapped out this fantasy story, did you include sex or sexual tension scenes in the plans?

If not, why write an erotic scene based on this fantasy story to get your writing "juices flowing", so to say?

My advice is to spend a little bit of time thinking about it, without forcing it. Play out the same scenarios you did when you first planned out this story. If you absolutely cannot see it without the erotic bits, then maybe that is the right direction.

You can try writing more of it, too, just the way you have been with the erotic stuff. If it flows, if you can't stop writing and the words flow, then it might be the right direction.

Don't forget, you can always change things after the first draft is done.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
But I just couldn't start it. So in an attempt to kick-start the writing flow I wrote a very long sex scene involving two characters as a bit of a lark and dipping my toe into the erotica genre.

When I began writing, I discovered that writing about something that turned me on helped to keep the story flowing. Later on, I was able to complete the novel and to use some of the discarded bits as nuclei for other stories (2 short stories and a second novel).

The original novel remains unpublished, but it served as my training ground as a writer. The second novel, with its roots in the first, was published eventually, after much revision.

SierraLee

Boldly Nervous
Registered
Reaction score
This is the part that interests me:

The trouble is, I now cannot see this story without all the graphic sex, it adds to the story immensely not just for it's excitement factor but also because it helps to define the magical system present in this world and also some major themes too.
World-building is key for fantasy, so I think you should ask yourself several questions here. If this scene did a lot for the magic system and themes, is your idea a lot more sex-related than you first thought? And if it's not, perhaps you should think about why the other scenes you've tried to write didn't create the same excitement.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
There are other fantasy novels out there with erotic elements, such as Jacqueline Carey's Terre D'Ange books, so I don't think you would necessarily have to recategorize your story, which seems to be the main issue you are facing. There's also all the books under Harlequin's Luna imprint, though I'm assuming they are probably a bit tamer.