Editors don't edit...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the one editing. I had an indie publisher that had supposedly edited my work. They didn't even touch it. I would have been better off editing myself. And I probably had more background in grammar and proper English, as that I minored in English in college, than those that were 'editing' my books. Most indie publishers are a joke. Sorry to be so harsh.

Algernon, welcome to AW. I'd appreciate it if you'd read our Newbie Guide (there's a link at the top of the page) and acquaint yourself with our one rule: respect your fellow writer. Many of our members are published with perfectly respectable independent publishers, and quite a few more work for those independent publishers: to dismiss "most" of them as "a joke" is not only inaccurate, but rude.

Thanks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, they don't seem to. I've seen some egregious errors the last few weeks.
I was reading a book about the kings and queens of Britain. In the section about Edward II, the heading is correct, but the first sentence begins, "Edward III..." There was one more but I can't recall off hand. Minor things I know, but still.

Something like that is going to happen often, even with the best editors. No one is perfect, and this may not have been the editors fault, anyway. And from my experience, with things like that, the writer is at fault, not the editor.

I always get the last look at my manuscript. Always. If something like that slips trough, it's one hundred percent my fault.

But if you think editors don't edit, I'm guessing you've never sold a novel and been through the process. The little errors you're talking about are things any writer should handle, and about one percent of an editor's job. . What good editors do is infinitely above and beyond such minor things.

When you see one of your manuscripts after a good editor has edited it, you'll never again say editors don't edit, or think twice about such minor mistakes that probably belong on the writer's shoulders.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the one editing. I had an indie publisher that had supposedly edited my work. They didn't even touch it. I would have been better off editing myself. And I probably had more background in grammar and proper English, as that I minored in English in college, than those that were 'editing' my books. Most indie publishers are a joke. Sorry to be so harsh.

A good writer does edit his own work. The idea for any writer should be to give an editor nothing at all to do. If you leave anything for an editor to do that you could have done yourself, you're cheating the editor, and cheating yourself.

I know little about indie publishers, but if I dealt with anything approaching indie, I'd make sure to turn in a manuscript that needed nothing except a release date, just as I try to do with any publisher.

Algernon

Registered
Reaction score
Algernon, welcome to AW. I'd appreciate it if you'd read our Newbie Guide (there's a link at the top of the page) and acquaint yourself with our one rule: respect your fellow writer. Many of our members are published with perfectly respectable independent publishers, and quite a few more work for those independent publishers: to dismiss "most" of them as "a joke" is not only inaccurate, but rude.

Thanks.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone nor to be rude. Just jaded. I don't belong here.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone nor to be rude. Just jaded. I don't belong here.

'Course you do. Just take some time to meet people and get a feel for the place - see how it works. We're all jaded sometimes :Hug2:

Algernon

Registered
Reaction score
'Course you do. Just take some time to meet people and get a feel for the place - see how it works. We're all jaded sometimes :Hug2:
Unfortunately no. I am a horrendous writer and emotionally unstable...ha

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
mccardey is right. Everyone who wants to be here belongs here, so long as they're polite and respectful. It's good to have you here, Algernon.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I am a horrendous writer and emotionally unstable...ha

I think the vast majority of writers start out being horrendous. The good news is with practice, you get better. Often much faster than you'd expect.

As for emotionally unstable--join the club. :)

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I've had those moments of "Why didn't the editor catch two incidences of 'accidentally' spelled 'accidently'? Don't these editors know the difference between 'vise' and 'vice'?" Etc., etc. But then I look at my own publication, and despite all our best efforts (two edits and proofing for every story), we have occasional embarrassing errors, too.

Until my books were submitted, I didn't realize that one editor still works very closely with the author on the book and shepherds it through the process, just like in the Good Old Days of publishing. That was actually a happy surprise, as I assumed today's process would be more impersonal — partly because of those laments in the media about editors not doing their jobs. Now I can attest to the fact that editors do indeed read, fall in love with and champion particular books and have detailed revision plans for them — which I guess I should have known all along. But part of me thought it would all be done by committee, like what I've heard about the film industry process.