Illustrated Books for Older Audiences....How would one go about publishing such a thing?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title asks. I desperatly want any story I write to have included with them anime-style illustrations. I have an artist lined up who could draw them for me, and would be providing the illustrations for the publisher rather then making them go out and get an artist on their own. The artist I have is also a legitiment professional artist, who has had their work featured in galaries and the like, and is a friend, so it's not like the person I'd be getting to do the art would be some random no-name college student. They would be a professional.

However, my worry is twofold. The first is that while illustrated books are common for younger audiences/children's lit, once you get to a certain age they become virtually non-exsistant. My stories tend to be aimed at teens and older individuals, so they would certainly not fall in the normal age range for illustrated works. Secondly, due to the fact I'd want the illustrations to be distinctly anime-like, I fear what I want to do may be too close to what is called a 'lite novel" which manga publishers tried and failed at marketing in the US and thus now nobody wants to touch lite novels. While I'd be marketing my story as a standard novel that happens to have illustrations instead of a lite novel or hybrid-type affair and will not be going to manga publishers with my idea, I still fear the similarities to lite novels will be -an issue- in the eyes of publishers.

Anyway, with all this in mind, how would I go about getting a story with a few anime-style illustrations traditionally published(Self-publishing is NOT an option for numerous reasons I won't list here)? If any of you more in the know about the industry could help me out I'd be grateful!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Honestly, if all these things are that important to you (having illustrations done specifically in anime style, specifically by this artist) I think you need to reconsider self-publishing as an option. I don't think it's reasonable to approach a trade publisher asking them to pay you for your writing, put their resources into marketing your writing, and yet offer them very little say in the presentation of the final product.

For whatever it's worth, illustrations exist in books as advanced as middle grade, and those can cover some pretty heavy topics. I don't know what your novel is about, so I can't offer any suggestions as to whether or not it's marketable as middle grade, but that might be your best bet. Even if you did sell it as such though, odds are you would not get to choose your illustrator, or the style those illustrations would take. Those are the pros and cons of trade publishing.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are illustrated novels for adults and almost any publisher can produce them if they want to and the manuscript quality justifies the additional cost. Which IMHO is probably beside the point because a light novel is an established form routinely read by adults and I see not basis for not saying you book *is* a light novel. So if that is what you are writing you will probably send your work to a publisher that produces light novels or is willing to. Failing that you self-publish. These are the options.

Or there will be your options when you have actually written the book.

Last edited:

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Thats the thing, no publishers exsist that will take an actual lite novel in English-speaking markets, or at least the American market. Therefore I'd either have to spend years learning how to write Japanese, hire out a translation service or just pitch it as an Illustrated novel if I wanted to see it published. In addition, my stories are technically not a "lite novel" as lite novels are defined by more then just anime-style illustrations. Lite novels have a very particular writing style that defines them, as well as a general length which my stories would surpass. My stories are only similar to a lite novel in terms of illustrations. In terms of writing, they would be more like a traditional novel. They would honestly be more like a standard illustrated novel in terms of writing, it's just the illustrations would happen to be anime-style.

However, if you say publishers will take illustrated novels for teens and adults then there really is not an issue....though I'd like to know just how to submit the illustrations and text ? I assume I'd submit them as part of the main submission, but have them separated out and let the publishers decide how to format the book?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nogetsune, you have started multiple threads in which you angst about how publishers won't even consider the sorts of books you want to write. You have been given all sorts of advice in them, and each time you explain how it's no help, it won't work, and you are facing impossible odds and can't see any way round it.

What I haven't seen, however, is any indication that you are actually writing these books. How much of this book have you written? And while we're on the subject, how many books have you finished writing? How many books have you queried?

Write a few books and find your own writing stride. You might well find that once you have developed the habit of putting words onto paper your style changes, and the problems you face disappear.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thats the thing, no publishers exsist that will take an actual lite novel in English-speaking markets, or at least the American market. Therefore I'd either have to spend years learning how to write Japanese, hire out a translation service or just pitch it as an Illustrated novel if I wanted to see it published.

I just put "manga lite novels american publisher" into Google, and the Wikipedia article about light novels was the first hit. In that article it states,

There are currently many licensed English translations of Japanese light novels available. These have generally been published in the physical dimensions of standard mass market paperbacks or similar to manga tankōbon, but starting in April 2007, Seven Seas Entertainment was the first English publisher to print light novels in their original, Japanese format of 10.5 cm × 15 cm.[7] Other English-language publishers that produce light novels are Tokyopop, Viz, DMP, Dark Horse, Yen Press, and Del Rey Manga. The founder of Viz Media, Seiji Horibuchi, speculates that the U.S. market for light novels will experience a similar increase in popularity as it has in the Japanese subculture once it becomes recognized by the consumer audience.[8]

That article names seven publishers which produce light novels for the US market: there are bound to be more.

I've had a look at the websites of a few of the publishers named in the Wikipedia piece. While some of them are probably translations not all of them are.

Then there's this:

Light novels are often serialized in literary magazines such as Faust, Gekkan Dragon Magazine, The Sneaker and Dengeki hp, or media franchise magazines like Comptiq and Dengeki G's Magazine.

If you can't find a publisher to take your work as a book, there are publishers who take them as serials. There are several options available to you.

In addition, my stories are technically not a "lite novel"

Then why have you spent so much time focusing on them, and asking our advice about them?

as lite novels are defined by more then just anime-style illustrations. Lite novels have a very particular writing style that defines them, as well as a general length which my stories would surpass. My stories are only similar to a lite novel in terms of illustrations. In terms of writing, they would be more like a traditional novel. They would honestly be more like a standard illustrated novel in terms of writing, it's just the illustrations would happen to be anime-style.

So your novels are not light novels, they are novels which you want to have illustrated in a certain style. You're forcing your work into a genre in which it doesn't actually fit, and then complaining that there are no publishers who publish in this genre, when in fact there are several.

Why are you causing yourself all these problems?

Stop trying to shoehorn your work into a genre in which it doesn't belong and start writing.

However, if you say publishers will take illustrated novels for teens and adults then there really is not an issue....though I'd like to know just how to submit the illustrations and text ? I assume I'd submit them as part of the main submission, but have them separated out and let the publishers decide how to format the book?

As you've been told in many other threads, you query your novel in the usual way and find yourself an agent. You then discuss with your agent the illustrations you'd like to have included in your novel, and between you you work out the best way forward.

But first you have to write the book. How much of it is written?

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack beat me to the point. Looking over your posting history, I've noticed the same: you're overly concerned with the marketability of your idea and focus upon what others supposedly can't, don't or never write or publish. Even when people give examples to the contrary, you appear quick with a reason why it's not exactly the same situation as yours*, thereby convincing yourself insurmountable obstacle remain. In my experience, it's this mentality that's your real obstacle. Write, refine, and repeat.

*No one's path to success or failure is exactly the same. See: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/06/15/how-to-have-a-writing-career-like-mine/

Last edited:

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
However, my worry is twofold. The first is that while illustrated books are common for younger audiences/children's lit, once you get to a certain age they become virtually non-exsistant. My stories tend to be aimed at teens and older individuals, so they would certainly not fall in the normal age range for illustrated works.

Secondly, due to the fact I'd want the illustrations to be distinctly anime-like, I fear what I want to do may be too close to what is called a 'lite novel" which manga publishers tried and failed at marketing in the US and thus now nobody wants to touch lite novels.

Japan

Asia

Japan

Lots of older women in Japan love this anime style illustration, especially the boy love ones. This according to a travel show I saw recently on Japan. I'd focus my research there first.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Nogetsune:

There is one absolutely guaranteed way to never be published.

Never write, never submit.

You're well on your way to that level of success.

I'm sorry, because I know that sounds harsh. But no one (that I know of) wants you to fail. I certainly wish success for you.

Have you ever heard the saying from Confucius (paraphrased) that a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step?

You're driving yourself nuts looking three or four steps out, but you (apparently) haven't even taken that first step.

Take that first step. Write it. Whatever "it" is, write it. Then you can start worry about how to sell it.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Nogetsune:

There is one absolutely guaranteed way to never be published.

Never write, never submit.

You're well on your way to that level of success.

I'm sorry, because I know that sounds harsh. But no one (that I know of) wants you to fail. I certainly wish success for you.

Have you ever heard the saying from Confucius (paraphrased) that a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step?

You're driving yourself nuts looking three or four steps out, but you (apparently) haven't even taken that first step.

Take that first step. Write it. Whatever "it" is, write it. Then you can start worry about how to sell it.

This^^^ Wise words here!

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else has noted re: getting your project started. That having been said, I just came across an agent who specifically requests "Adult or YA fiction that includes illustrations or photographs." This request is stated in her wishlist as "Manuscripts that play with narrative structure and/or incorporate different mediums."

My point is that, as others have been saying, there are still avenues available through which you can get the type of book you're describing published. If you give up before you start, you'll never have a chance.