Does Country matter?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just doing some FAQ reading, and came upon this:

Begin with a good market resource. This could be one of the many print market guides–such as Jeff Herman’s Writer’s Guide to Book Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents or Writer’s Market (for the US market); Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook or Writer’s Handbook (for the UK market); Canadian Writer’s Market; and Australian Writer’s Marketplace–or a reliable online resource such as Publishers Marketplace, AgentQuery, or QueryTracker.

... and it lit up a question in my mind. In this e-age, how important is your agent's location? I'm in Canada. Should I stick to Canadian agents and/or publishers? If so, why? Tax laws? Contacts?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you anticipate/hope your book will sell the most copies? That's where you want your agent to be. NYC-area agents will have connections with US publishers and know US markets, but not necessarily Canadian, UK, Australian, etc.

So where's the biggest market for your work?

Maryn, who knows hers is in the US

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since my story takes place in Lincoln, Nebraska.... hmm....

:D As long as there aren't any kind of statutory issues, USA it is.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I live in New Zealand and have a publisher in the USA.

The UK market can be rather nice though. I sold a 4000 word short story to one publisher for an anthology several years ago for a lump sum of 75 pounds and it turned out to be nearly $200 NZ.