photo vs picture

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
On Microsoft OneDrive it has a folder for photos and another for pictures. What is the difference? Anything I want it to be?

Is a photo different than a picture?

Could I use photo folder for my manipulated images and the pictures folder for non-manipulated.

Could I use them to mean "photos", those taken with my camera, "pictures", those not taken with it?

That would make me the boss, but I'd like your feedback too.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
It sounds like a programming artifact, where it was renamed but they forgot to remove the old name, or left it because people who are used the old folder name would complain if it disappeared.

You can sort your files however you like, tho.

Does Google drive let you make folders? or rename what's already there?

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Reziac- Thanks for your response. Don't know about Google. Microsoft does OneDrive as you know.

I went to the net for this and there found many answers. Seems there is a distinction to be made between a picture and a photo.

I've decided to let their "photo" folder stand for photos taken with my camera and "pictures" folder for those I didn't.

I thought that some photo geek here on AW would shed some light.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Microsoft forum(s) can often be good for these types of questions. I've had good luck getting an answer whenever I had some problem that I couldn't find an answer to elsewhere.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Reziac- Thanks for your response. Don't know about Google. Microsoft does OneDrive as you know.

Apparently they're all one in my head. I should perhaps remove some of the rocks. :D

I went to the net for this and there found many answers. Seems there is a distinction to be made between a picture and a photo.

To the computer, they're all 1's and 0's; it doesn't care what the 1's and 0's look like on your screen. Now, if it's a "special folder" that knows to parse, say, your camera's EXIF information and display it for you, that might be a "distinction", but it still makes no difference to the data itself.

I've decided to let their "photo" folder stand for photos taken with my camera and "pictures" folder for those I didn't.

A useful distinction.

On my own machine my root folder for all such stuff is \Images, but therein I sort stuff into subdirectories by camera (in turn broken up by subject or date), source, stuff I made, topic, etc. The more sorted out it is, the easier it is to find what you're looking for.

BTW here are some handy tools and articles:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/

(JPEGsnoop is one of my must-have utilities.)

Katrar

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about the specifics of picture vs photo and it appears that picture is a generic word that could mean just about anything (drawings, paintings, camera photos, etc) while a photo is specifically - and seemingly only - anything captured by a camera.

Therefore something you created in MS Paint, or a scan of something your kid drew would be a picture, while something you shot with your digital camera would be a photo.