Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gina- Your cat sounds cute. youtube or it didn't happen.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Unless they carry rabies.

Well, there is that.

But they don't seem to have come inside, so if they want to live in the old sun room (that I use for storage), that's fine.

I don't hear them in the roof above me. It's very much isolated to the spot where the old sun room connects to the house.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
But -- and I'm not preaching, I really am not -- when I meet people who say they hate religion or churches, I have a standard answer: churches are filled with people. People who have flaws, and can be stupid and pigheaded and WRONG about a thousand things. As the above example illustrates oh too well.
This kind of thing is why I'm always want to point out that no matter what I may say about it (and I'll be honest, in the heat of arguments I have been known to make unpleasant generalisations that I later regret), I don't hate religion. I personally don't quite get it, because my brain just won't allow me to believe in something as unrealistic as God, but I can see the appeal of such a belief system.

I don't hate religion. I hate what some people do with it. In particular, using it to justify saying and even doing terrible, terrible things because "I don't hate you, God does." Hiding behind their religion to justify their own intolerant, hateful bigotry.

I think I'll stop now lest I end up ranting. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
This kind of thing is why I'm always want to point out that no matter what I may say about it (and I'll be honest, in the heat of arguments I have been known to make unpleasant generalisations that I later regret), I don't hate religion. I personally don't quite get it, because my brain just won't allow me to believe in something as unrealistic as God, but I can see the appeal of such a belief system.

My younger daughter is of your mind. She can't get her head around the idea of God, and that's her choice. I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I can't MAKE her have faith. Either she has it or she doesn't. Considering the health and hearing issues she's dealt with her entire life, I can understand her not buying into the idea of a benevolent Creator; if I were her, I'd want to punch him in the nose, not worship him.

I don't hate religion. I hate what some people do with it. In particular, using it to justify saying and even doing terrible, terrible things because "I don't hate you, God does." Hiding behind their religion to justify their own intolerant, hateful bigotry.

I think I'll stop now lest I end up ranting. :D

And I, a Christian, agree with you. The things people do in the name of God is ... well, words fail me. I just wanted to reiterate that it's the PEOPLE doing it. And regardless of what they may be telling everybody, they are in no position to dictate what God thinks, because, so far as I know, he doesn't give out his phone number.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they carry rabies.

Well, there is that.

None of the ones I ever got in the house acted rabid, though there was some concern. Mostly they just wanted out, even if they were often too stupid to easily fly out even after I'd opened the large window in the room.

And I never got bit, because believe me, if I had I'd have caught the damn thing, taken it in, and gotten it tested.

And then sued the pants off my landlord.

Come to think of it, that last part might have been worth getting bit.

Nah, they have really, really sharp little teeth.

vampire.gif

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized that my Scrivener trial download finished and I've forgotten completely about it. :D

This happened to me too. I still have about 6K of a WIP in there that I can't get out unless I download actual Scrivener :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
My primary school was affiliated with the Church of England so I spent a lot of time in churches when I was small. I ended up with a deep appreciation of stained glass windows and centuries old buildings, and an absolute hatred of cold draughty places. They had very old central heating that took ages to warm up and because the ceiling was about 200 feet or something above your head, the only things that got warm were the bats and the death watch beetles. We often use to sing wrapped up in scarves and coats. When I was in the choir we used to cheat and wear extra jumpers and woolly tights under the robes.The only time I use a building like that now is when they use the reception place as a polling station in elections.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
So, because of blind deference to the growing cult, I checked out Scrivener.

And realized that it's presupposing a level of organization far, far beyond anything I have ever had or even remotely attempted. At a price I'm not willing to pay for.

:e2writer:

Also, because I strongly suspect that were I to get it, I would immediately turn it into a gigantic time sink, which is counter-intuitive to it's professed purpose. But I could see me spending HOURS organizing things.

I can't imagine writing a novel without it, but again, I only use the scene/chapter separation features. Also the wordcount feature, so I can see how I'm progressing toward my goal and how many words per day I need to hit it. :D You can use as few or as many features as you like, which is part of why I love it. I also use color coding to see how far I am with each scene (if I've finished, edited, etc.).

Also, anyone who is nanoing gets 50% off Scrivener if they win, and after nano everyone can get 20% off. Just so everyone knows.

This happened to me too. I still have about 6K of a WIP in there that I can't get out unless I download actual Scrivener :D

If you email it to me I can compile it for you and send it back to you in .doc format. I promise not to peek. Much. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My primary school was affiliated with the Church of England so I spent a lot of time in churches when I was small. I ended up with a deep appreciation of stained glass windows and centuries old buildings, and an absolute hatred of cold draughty places. They had very old central heating that took ages to warm up and because the ceiling was about 200 feet or something above your head, the only things that got warm were the bats and the death watch beetles. We often use to sing wrapped up in scarves and coats. When I was in the choir we used to cheat and wear extra jumpers and woolly tights under the robes.The only time I use a building like that now is when they use the reception place as a polling station in elections.

Cold or not, I'm jealous.

I remember that old saw I quoted the other day: "Brits think a hundred miles is a long distance. Americans think a hundred years is a long time."

My church was built in the 1850's. It was seized by the Confederate army and briefly used as a hospital by them during our Civil War. That's impressive to me, and to most of our community (it's the oldest physical church in the area).

But the idea of, even just the once, going to a REALLY impressively old church, even with the cold.... Yeah, I'm jealous as hell.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also use color coding to see how far I am with each scene (if I've finished, edited, etc.).

Yes, but you're just sick. We've discussed this before.

:D

And I just improvise too much to make much use of it for that. I can see having some thing organized - like character descriptions - but if I was really so motivated I could accomplish that on my own without shelling out almost $50.

Not going to convert me on this one, I'm afraid.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But the idea of, even just the once, going to a REALLY impressively old church, even with the cold.... Yeah, I'm jealous as hell.

A cathedral I visited in Sweden was a thousand years old. Only the apse was still intact from the original structure, the rest having been rebuilt or refurbished over the years, but there was still that sense of OLD when you walked into it.

Amazing stuff.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine writing a novel without it, but again, I only use the scene/chapter separation features. Also the wordcount feature, so I can see how I'm progressing toward my goal and how many words per day I need to hit it. :D You can use as few or as many features as you like, which is part of why I love it. I also use color coding to see how far I am with each scene (if I've finished, edited, etc.).

Lol, I can't imagine writing a novel with Scrivener. I literally downloaded the trial at 7pm and uninstalled it by 10:30pm. I hated it. So anytime someone mentions loving it, I'm always in awe of their dedication and patience. It's Word and Google Docs for me. :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
My kingdom for a right click!

Working remotely and my work programs don't jive with my Macbook. Dire.

Also, shaking my head over people who give scathing reviews or ratings, thinking they are anonymous when I can totally tell who they are. Et tu, "Anonymous Person"?

P.S. Buttons are still funny.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
A cathedral I visited in Sweden was a thousand years old. Only the apse was still intact from the original structure, the rest having been rebuilt or refurbished over the years, but there was still that sense of OLD when you walked into it.

Amazing stuff.

The closest I can claim to coming in contact with THAT level of history are the mounds, as in Mound Building Indians, or whatever the Politically Correct term is nowadays. They're all over the place here, the most well known being the Portsmouth Earthworks and Horseshoe Mound up in Portsmouth, Ohio. I've seen them hundreds of times, from earliest childhood.

They are manmade, and a couple thousand years old. But they're just piles of dirt. I don't find them awe-inspiring. No offense.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
My younger daughter is of your mind. She can't get her head around the idea of God, and that's her choice. I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I can't MAKE her have faith. Either she has it or she doesn't. Considering the health and hearing issues she's dealt with her entire life, I can understand her not buying into the idea of a benevolent Creator; if I were her, I'd want to punch him in the nose, not worship him.
I don't have quite the reason your daughter does for not believing in God. Although if he is real I have a bone to pick with him about a certain passage of Leviticus. The reason I can't believe in his existence is just... I can't. I've tried at some of my lower moments but the entire premise of it seems too weird and implausible to my mind. Not to disparage those amongst the Cantina who have faith, but I just find it logically impossible to believe.

And in regards to the PM you sent me, since I'm replying to you here anyway: You didn't go too far. If you'd started preaching Hell, fire and brimstone at my sinful ways, then you'd have gone too far. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, shaking my head over people who give scathing reviews or ratings, thinking they are anonymous when I can totally tell who they are. Et tu, "Anonymous Person"?

I'm sorry! It won't happen again!

*starts signing reviews with my French alias, Nom De Plume*

Yes, yes they are.

Still shiny?

:D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My kingdom for a right click!

Working remotely and my work programs don't jive with my Macbook. Dire.

Try clicking with two fingers.... it's the right-click equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.