The street value of Twinkies after the company closes

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The thing to watch here is how much loot the execs of Hostess walk away with. Couldn't possibly be they wanted this to happen all along . . . could it?

caw
I wonder how many union negotiators will lose their jobs. Couldn't be that the union is sacrificing Hostess as a warning to other food companies...could it?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore. No more Twinkies?

We are doooooooooooomed!

The tagline for the original Dawn of the Dead was, "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

The tagline for the upcoming zombie apocalypse will be "When the last box of Twinkies is gone, the living will have to eat those disgusting Sno-Balls."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Universe-doomed-pants.gif

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Never eaten one...

...but I've seen many many adverts for them on the back of American comics books. I imagine them to taste somewhere between nectar and ambrosia.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They used to be tolerable, perhaps 30 years ago. Then the recipe changes made too many Hostess snack cake products just slightly above gag-worthy. I stopped eating them in the mid-90's.

My local gluten free bakery makes vanilla and chocolate versions of Twinkies with real sugar, though I'm hoping they branch off into reduced-sugar versions, too. The things are delicious. The only Hostess product I eat anymore from Hostess is Ruffles, and Trader Joe's sells a better and cheaper version.

I guess that box of Raspberry Zingers we got to celebrate the Presidential debates is going to stay in the freezer now...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And keep in mind that their shelf life is actually only a few months. Stockpiling without freezing could be a bit dangerous to one's health after a while.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Never eaten one...

...but I've seen many many adverts for them on the back of American comics books. I imagine them to taste somewhere between nectar and ambrosia.
They don't and you aren't missing anything.

Now homemade twinkies with real ingredients are friggin delicious, but those things that come in plastic packages are greasy, weirdly spongy, and overly corn syrupy abominations.

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
The union leaders have accepted workforce-wide pay cuts, twice. that strikes me as pretty damn understanding for a union. Maybe the business just isn't viable any more.

The Teamsters did, but the Bakers union refused. Story I read had a quote from one of the local Teamsters leaders and the guy was pretty pissed at the Bakers for not accepting the same concessions the Teamsters did.

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
I wonder how many union negotiators will lose their jobs. Couldn't be that the union is sacrificing Hostess as a warning to other food companies...could it?

The Teamsters negotiators will be fine, they reached an agreement with Hostess. The guys I wouldn't want to be would be any member of the Bakers union. They are the ones that struck and refused to accept the same deal the Teamsters did.

To be honest, with unions and Obamacare if I owned a big company I'd probably shut it down and get what I could out of it and let someone else deal with all the crapola.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Who wants to bet that the execs were making millions a year and just cutting their salary down to say, only a million a year would have saved enough money to save the company?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Twinkies will still be available in Canada as all Hostess products are licensed by Saputo here. Although the only Hostess products I've seen on the local storeshelves have been Ruffles and Wonderbread.
Ruffles? The ridged potato chip? That's Frito-Lay. Not hostess.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
The Teamsters did, but the Bakers union refused. Story I read had a quote from one of the local Teamsters leaders and the guy was pretty pissed at the Bakers for not accepting the same concessions the Teamsters did.

I always figured the Teamsters were the bad-ass union of all time.

Guess that role just went to the Bakers.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the pink coconut ones, like once every three years or so. Seriously, who can eat something that sweet often anymore? Tastes have changed, thank God :D

To be honest, with unions and Obamacare if I owned a big company I'd probably shut it down and get what I could out of it and let someone else deal with all the crapola.

Why Obamacare? Particularly with a unionized workforce, the cost of offering insurance is absolutely through the roof. That was in play long, long before Obamacare.

The cost of healthcare in this country hurts business and has for years. It's terrible. I'm glad a president and congress have tried to begin to address that.

I'm afraid I can be anti-union in some cases, too. It's the blood out of a turnip thing that's a huge problem, like Don said.

On the subject of why it happened, we couldn't possibly know. Often, the problems that land manufacturing companies in bankruptcy are more stupid than you'd think, though, actually. I'd say the number one reason is just plain bad management, usually at high levels to cause such bad consequences. Fire the eejits early enough and things go much better :) Dad's a chainsaw consultant, btw ;) If folks fired who they should, he'd be completely obsolete! I'm kidding, but it's scarily more true than it should be. It reminds me of politics :D

eta: I should say 'the number one reason manufacturing companies going toward bankruptcy who hire management consultants...'. I'm sure there are plenty who know no consultant will fix things if it's definitely market issues, etc.