School visits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
This is obviously something specific to the promotion of children's and YA books...

I was wondering if anyone has found success with school visits? If you write a book for kids, everyone says you should do them as a form of promotion, but are they really worth it? I can't imagine that speaking at a few schools would have much impact on sales.

Any insights/recounting of experiences will be appreciated!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
More and more schools are avoiding self-published authors because of the problems they've encountered with them over the years.

I have several friends who do school visits, but they say it's only worth it if the school is willing to pay a reasonable fee for the visit because the book sales which result are either insignificant or non-existent; and fewer and fewer schools pay for such visits.

Also, you have to do a lot more than just turn up and read a bit of your book out: you have to lead workshops, take classes, and spend time engaging with the children. You'll be expected to have the ability to teach, and if you're going to do this in the UK I'm pretty sure you'll need to have a CRB check before you go in, which I think needs to be renewed every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.