Story Cartel

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I don't remember seeing anything about storycartel.com on this board, but I don't lurk as regularly here as I do on others, so if it has come up, sorry!

I hadn't heard of storycartel until another author mentioned it. She said she'd had some success with it in getting reviewers and boosting awareness of her book. The idea is authors offer books for free for a certain period of time, in exchange for both reviews and the emails of those who've downloaded the book (so they can target them for marketing later).

There doesn't appear to be any way of tracking whether readers leave reviews or rewarding those who do (unlike, say, LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program), which makes me wonder if a lot of people aren't just using it to harvest free books.

I can't figure out if it's only for self-pub authors and I don't want to go through the signing up process before I figure it out. Certainly a lot of the books on there look self-pubbed - I couldn't see anything publisher branding on them - but that could just be the books available this week. The home page mentions working with traditional publishers, but doesn't list any.

Has anyone here used it? Did you get results? What were the terms and conditions like for authors?

JennyCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennycoonpeterson.com
I'm actually in the process of trying them out for the first time. You can offer review incentives--I'm doing Amazon gift card drawings for everyone who leaves a review. You also get the email addresses of everyone who downloads the book during the "free" window, so you could try and keep track of who leaves reviews.

Anyone on here actually go through the process? How were the results?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I used them twice. I chose the gift certificate drawing option.

I got two reviews for my first book (4 and 5 stars) that were average in terms of the writing quality. The second time, I got one review (5 stars) that was awful in terms of writing quality, so it just looks bad.

I won't be using Story Cartel again.

They have now switched to a model where you have to pay $30 upfront to give your book away for free, anyway. They will use $20 for the drawing prizes, and $10 to fund their site.

For reviews, I've had much better luck submitting to minor review bloggers, who will often then come and post their reviews on Amazon as well. Then you are only giving out a very few free copies as well.

napow27

Pirate, Beer Aficionado, Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.natasha-powell.wix.com
Yes, now there's a direct fee to pay for the amazon card giveaway. It's 30 bucks for one and I want to say 90 for three.

I'm going to be using their services this week and I'll post my experience on here.

They also have a direct mail marketing option for 125, but I haven't seen testimonials for that option.

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
Anyone else have experience with them? I wasn't impressed with the quality of covers in my genre, which leads me to believe that it's not worth my time and money. Anyone?

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I used a friend as a guinie pig on Story Cartel and it was overall a success I'd say. They still haven't sold a single copy because they are in a genre that is massively saturated (that why I used them as a guinea pig).

We got three 5 star reviews and two 4 star reviews.

A 3 star review from someone who's taste in other books (judging by their profile) made the review look like a vegetarian reviewing meat. Never the less I regard it a good review for its articulation, and fair to their own tastes.

...and a vague 2 star from a competing author. We haven't bothered to complain or tried to remove it.

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
How recently did your friend do it?

$25 seems steep, so that's why I'm waffling. I've pounded the pavement myself to get the reviews I have, so I'm not sure if I should just start up again with the reviewer lists I haven't been through yet.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
About 6 months ago. I don’t think $25 is steep for what you get.

I go for reviewers that have social proof also to make it more future proof i.e. people with a website or blog.

http://entreprenoria.com/management/the-future-of-online-customer-reviews/

“First of all, in the near future, the anonymus factor will fade, leaving room for the tendency to combine personal informations with social media. Every review will be linked to the Facebook or Twitter page of a real person, and so, every review will be more credible.”