Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. :tongue

Well, it took about an hour and a half, but I've edited chapter 1 of WIP#2. It's a very intense chapter... I think I still need to give a reason for the reader to connect with the character. He's going through some really bad stuff right off the bat... Not sure how to make the readers like him first, considering the whole story starts with this bad event - no way around that.

Going to give it one more read through, then think about what I want to do next.

ETA: Did another read-through and changed a few more things. Overall I've lost about 100 words from this chapter, but it's reading a fair bit better. :)

Last edited:

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, where is everyone? Is nobody getting anything done?

I'm also being lazy and getting nothing done. :D

Though in my defense, someone decided it was a good idea to give me books for Christmas. :D

::goes back to reading::

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just read 3 chapters of book 8, actually. But I hear you on the Christmas presents. For me, it was DVDs.

I got 3 seasons of TV shows (all have about 24 episodes) and the movie Ted, and then bought myself 3 of the Alien movies with left-over amounts on a gift card after getting Windows 8.

So far, I've watched over half of 1 season and Ted, which was after watching the last 7 episodes of a TV show I had been watching before Christmas. :tongue

So yeah, I'm blaming DVDs for part of my laziness.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I've done less with my editing than I thought I would, but here's what I did accomplish.

1) Cut 20k of fluff.

2) Completely rewrote the accident scene at the beginning.

3) Added new subplot involving mainly the minor characters but also affects the main characters.

4) Decided I needed a sequel to finish the story.

5) Finished the ending.

6) Added more supernatural elements to the story and introduced them earlier in the novel.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't wind up going to the grandparents' place, so I have some unexpected time to work on WIP#2. Going to see about editing chapter 2, but right now I'm cooking dinner.

*hungry*

ETA: Probably visiting them tomorrow instead, so I really must make the most of tonight. It's not "bonus time" for the WIP - it's just tomorrow's time tonight.

ETA2: Edited chapter 2. Going to give it another read-through in a moment, then read before bed. I probably could've gotten a 3rd chapter edited during the time when I was killing time, expecting to go out soon. Oh well...

ETA3: Did the read-through, and fixed a couple of things. I've added about 100 words to this chapter, so I'm basically at my original word count now. :)

Last edited:

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Same here - no progress. I chew on renovating the restructuring of scenes, so I can see where to add the new ones with another POV that became necessary. And I am stuck somewhere in the process.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also being Lazy and trying not to look at my goals list for next year because there's a hell of a lot:tongue Especially on the writing front though my main is getting a job. Yeah, we will see how that goes:Shrug: Also, I've been working on my graphics for a different site and checking out my new tablet that I got for Christmas, generally Lazy:D

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I need to get motivated and write this "in between" scene. I have it outlined and planned in full.

But two of my characters are holding me back. I'm having trouble hiding their turmoil relationship from the other characters in the scene. I can't get it to feel realistic.

I think I need to make the other characters too distracted to notice. Need to increase the drama in the scene, I think.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
I hit my monthly goal, 31k for the month.

So, a new year, and one old goal (hitting my first 1,000,000 words) remains.

Because I am sure I will achieve the old goal this year (I expect by march) I'm going to add another two goals:

1.the story a week challenge (write 1 sub 1) and,
2. Writing 4 new novels.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
There are just over 14 hours left in December where I am! I'm hoping to get some more stuff done today, last minute sort of stuff.

We're meant to see the grandparents today (didn't yesterday) but it's also NYE, so... I don't really want to spend all night with the grandparents to see midnight come in. Hopefully mum and I visit in the afternoon then leave after dinner...

I don't really celebrate NYE now that I don't drink, so I'll just be doing writerly things. Not sure if mum has anything planned.

Okay, so last day of the year! It's been a LONG year!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
*still has another 32 hours and 37 minutes til 2013* :tongue

Still don't get to touch the thread I started yet. :roll:

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

I won't be posting in the JanNo thread again for close to 24 hours. But I'm going to try to post a "wrap up" in here at the end of the day - not just what I've got done in December, but for the whole year. (If I can remember that far back. ;))

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been fairly productive this month. :)

I could've been MORE productive, but it didn't quite work out that way. Oh well.

In other news, while waiting for my lunch to cook (cheese and tomato panini with garlic - NOM!) I decided to read chapter 3 of WIP#2. It turns out it's only a short one, so I may be able to get it done pretty quickly. :)

I'm noticing a trend though - so far, my MC hasn't been very likable, and he needs to be. Already in chapter 2 I had to change a bunch of things to make him seem like less of a cretin, and I'll be doing similar things in 3.

Note: *less* of a cretin - he'll still be a cretin after these edits. :D But there's a fine line between crassly charming and just a dick.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ah, the unlikeable protagonist issue, I know it well.

That panini sounds amazing. Shame I'm on my way to bed or I'd be tempted to try and make a similar snack.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, it was very tasty. I didn't "make" it so much as just put it in the oven. It came ready-made from the supermarket (2 per pack). I'd love to learn to make things like pizza and panini, but I've never gotten around to it yet.

And yeah, my MC is a bit out there...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've pretty much given up on getting anything else done today. So!

This month, I managed to:

1. Type 20k words for grandad's story.
2. Type 2k for the sequel to WIP#1
3. Edit the whole of WIP#1, removing 7k, but in reality I removed closer to 20k, but typed an extra 13k.
4. Edited 3/29 chapters for WIP#2.
5. Wrote and edited my 3k Christmas Creeper short story.
6. Plotted about 5 or 6 pages for the epic fantasy. (Which was basically no plot, and all about what sort of book it will be.)
7. Read 7 books.
8. Installed Windows 8.
9. Created a bunch of spreadsheets to keep myself on track, as well as tidied up various things (room, computers).

Okay, so looking at that, I've actually been fairly productive. :)

This year, apart from this month's stuff, I have:

1. Done 2 semesters of Uni, amounting to 6 subjects. Scored 2 As, 3 Bs and a C.
2. Wrote an extra 15-20k to finish off a different WIP's first draft.
3. Read 8 books for Uni. (6 for English, 1 for Philosophy, 1 massive collection of essays for Sociology.)
4. Queried my first novel all around Australia, to no success.
5. Wrote, edited and submitted a short story for the Western competition.
6. Had 1 month (January) where I was still working.
7. Bought my new guitar and amp, which are awesome, on sale, and have got rather better at guitar since then.
8. Moved house.
9. Helped the grandparents move house the day before we did.

Mmm. Busy year. :) I'm going to have to tally just how much I've done to make my goals for next year.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap:

Still have just under 11 hours to go over here. :tongue Hello, people from the future! Is it as cold tonight as my mom says it will be? Apparently it was so cold last night that my brother's wall heater came on while it was turned off... >.>

~Amber~

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Wow I had to edit a book this month and didn't even know this group was here! :-( missed out lol.

I didn't write it in November, though, but I did try to write the sequel for NaNo and only got to 5K! It'll get there, though!

I wrote Book 1 during Camp NaNo and it's getting published next month so woo!

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
It's cold here:tongue Happy New Year all:Hug2: