Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I met some friends for dinner last night, so I gave myself a night off. Broke a minor streak, but oh well. It was fun :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, ShadowFox. :)

Must now kick myself off the internet so I can get some actual writing done. :tongue

(Writing? Can anyone remind me what that is again?)

Go go go everyone! :)

~Amber~

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Going to start looking at my beta notes for my not-NaNo book. But I think in my down time, I will also do my first read of my NaNo book. That first read is the best. I get to find out when I was funny ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
(Writing? Can anyone remind me what that is again?)

I'm pretty sure "writing" is where you stare at a Word doc until your hands become possessed and start typing things that you're not sure even make sense. ;)

At least, that's how it's been for me lately. :tongue

Going to start looking at my beta notes for my not-NaNo book. But I think in my down time, I will also do my first read of my NaNo book. That first read is the best. I get to find out when I was funny ;)

Woo! It's great when you find something funny in a first draft. :)

I'm not sure about WIP#1... It's meant to be comedic UF, but while editing it I haven't laughed very often. Maybe it's because I've read this WIP about 5 times already? Hopefully that's it... I know WIP#2 has some pretty funny moments in it. Then again, I'm still on the first draft for that one, and have only read it over once since writing it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not sure if I should edit, or type up grandad's story now... I might edit one chapter first, then type for grandad. Technically, grandad's has the nearest deadline... Christmas. I can't remember how many pages there were (I think it was around 20) but I've only typed 5 so far...

And I've come to an executive decision. On Sunday, I'm taking the day off. Maybe. Well, I'll be visiting the grandparents then anyway, so it was never going to be as productive as during the week... I don't know, maybe.

ETA: There are 27 pages... *facepalm* I'm gonna have to work on this pretty regularly over the next 2 weeks. I mean, 27 pages is a lot to type anyway, but I'm slower typing from a piece of paper instead of my own imagination. *sigh*

ETA2: Just read chapter 7. Mercifully, it's a shortish chapter, so hopefully edits won't take long. Of course, I think I need to add a small scene in there still... *sigh*

ETA3: Finished editing chapter 7. Only took about an hour. :) Even though I had to rewrite an entire scene, for plot reasons, it was a lot less work than chapter 6. :)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
*facepalm*

So, I typed for 2 hours on grandad's life story. Got 2.5 pages done, for about 2.5k words. I don't know what size font he used, but it's SMALL. I'm now at the top of page 8... 20 more pages to go. So probably another 20k... Before Christmas. On a story that isn't even mine.

Ack. Taking a break now, then going to work on my own thing for a while.

ETA: Edited chapter 8. Another long chapter... But at least I'm halfway through the book now. :)

Last edited:

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished editing chapter nine. I've got fourteen chapters left. Hopefully I'll this first round of edits done before the 19th.

Then I can let the novel rest until January, and I can finish my novella. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go!

I made lofty goals this month... I'm not sure I'll get there though. Editing is taking up way too much of my time! I mean, it's a good thing - the book is better than it ever has been, much better, and should only need 1 more brief edit after I'm done with this round. But yeah... Not getting much else done. I've hardly written on WIP#2... I've actually written more words for grandad than for that WIP this month.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... I just counted up word counts for all my Uni assignments so far for this degree. Y'know, for my nifty spreadsheet I made the other day.

I've written 50k words for Uni so far! That's nearly an entire novel! No wonder I've been too mentally exhausted to write while Uni's been going.

Very sobering.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has wished me luck ;) It's appreciated.

Today I am trying to get back to writing a bit. Have rejoined write 1 sub 1, so I am writing a short story. My first one on the write 1 sub 1 plan ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the correlation with NaNo didn't escape my notice either. :)

50k words! I think if I'd had to do all of those in 1 month, ala NaNo, but for Uni, I'd have died. Far too much research and editing!

Have a nice nap. :) I've been sleeping a bit better the last few nights. Not sure if it was due to coming off a medication, or just finally unwinding after Uni. Either way, I had a nice night's sleep. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Found out about the Christmas Creepers competition... Now I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a 3k short into my hectic workload this month...

Maybe if I replace "plot epic fantasy" with "work on short"? The epic doesn't have any real deadline or urgency.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about trying that. :)

If all else fails, just roll the dice, Cliff. :tongue Although you might have to pick one with more sides...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have been using the D4 a bit the last few days... I replaced 1 option with "write grandad's story" which, sure enough, was the first thing I rolled. Now I'm replacing another option with "work on Christmas Creepers". :tongue

In other news, I just edited chapter 9. I totally gutted that chapter... Deleted 2 scenes entirely and rewrote a 3rd pretty much completely. Only 1 scene required just a light edit... Took a fair amount of time, but it's done. Moving on.

ETA: Also found out I got a B for my philosophy class. :) Now just waiting on the results for sociology.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Good job Cliff. :) I don't get my grades until next week, I think... I already know I failed math, but I'm confident I passed the rest of my classes. I just don't know what with. :tongue

Next term will be more fun. :D No classes til noon two days a week and 2pm the other three... And study [and/or sleep] time in the library all mornings. And my textbooks actually weigh less than me this term! I'm excited.

And best of all, no math. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray!

I've been reading. I decided to try and read 2 books every week over my break. So far, I've read close to 1.5 in 6 days... Might not quite make it to the end of this one in time, but it'll be close maybe.

And I'm definitely realising that I've got way too many goals this month... I'll try to reassess it now...

2 editing passes of WIP#1.
10k on WIP#2.
20k on grandad's story.
3k or less on Christmas Creepers.

Mmm... That's not significantly less than it was... I've pretty much just transferred word goals from WIP#2 to grandad's and replaced plotting the epic fantasy with the Christmas Creepers story...

Maybe I should knock it down to 1 editing pass of WIP#1?

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
One pass this month, one pass in January?

(Wait, January is next month??? I've almost been here two years!!! I spend way too much of my time on the internet...)

:tongue
At the very least, you have plenty to work with this month, Cliff. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, plenty to work with is true...

I think my goals for my 3 month holiday are just too extreme. I wanted to get 3 novels (a trilogy) written and polished and up for sale on Amazon et al.

So far I've polished half of WIP#1, WIP#2 is still about 3/4 finished first draft, and I only really have an outline for WIP#3. I have until the end of February...

Add to that typing up grandad's story... Ugh. I don't think I can do all of this!

In other news, I've been making notes on a possible story for the Christmas Creeper short. Yeah, that's not on my list, I know... *shoot me*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I think if I could get a few 5k days in on fresh material, my prospects would look a bit better. But I've just been so focussed on edits, which are taking longer than expected.

I mean, I've probably written about 10k of fresh material just in edits alone! (Even though the total for the novel has dropped 2k...)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... I'd just work on polishing the first one and finishing the second this break, along with the non trilogy-related things. If you have time to get started on the third one, do it! :) But to get all of that done in three months? It's doable, but it also looks stressful. One month at a time. :)

I'm going to find something to read and think about what my goals for this month are, since I haven't really thought of anything beyond finish up final projects, which were due today and out of my life. :tongue Goals, goals, goals... Hey Cliff, can I borrow some of yours? :roll:

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can write my grandad's story for me. ;) I've heard most of his stories before (he talks - a lot) so it's not very interesting for me, but it'd be all new to you. :tongue

I'll mail you the 20 remaining pages in a minute. :D

Hmm. Yeah, I'm starting to realise I won't get all 3 done over the break. Initially I wanted the whole trilogy up at once, but considering it'll probably just be 2 books I finish... Maybe I should work on a different second WIP?

Ack! No! That's the kind of thinking that got me dozens of WIPs in the first place! Must. Finish. Something!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 10... I lost about 2.5k words from this chapter! Deleted so much of it (utter rubbish plus something no longer relevant due to earlier edits) and only wrote a reasonably short scene to replace what I deleted.

So officially I have now lost 200 words this month... Even though I typed 2.5k on grandad's story. My WIP is getting shorter and shorter! Ack!

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Editing from beginning to end is killing me. I fix the tenth chapter in a way that makes me need to change the first a little bit.