Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
A couple hundred? Sheesh! You're making me look bad! :tongue

Well, those 38 will probably keep me busy for another few years yet. I just don't have time to read for pleasure when Uni's going.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
That's what breaks are for! :D

About 85% of my books are from secondhand shops and used book sales, and I usually buy many all at the same time... Hard to resist when I see something I'll want to read later. :tongue The nice things is I have a book for pretty much any occasion I want to read. :D

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a number of mine came from book sales, such as "10 for $30!" or whatever. They had a huge sale at the show grounds a few years in a row near Christmas, and while their selection wasn't great, I came out with about 5 books each time.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
On page 120/311. Got my work shifts for the rest of the year in and it's panicked me a bit, realising I only have 21 days left in the month to get through these line edits, type them up, plan and type up the major edits arghhhhh.

But all I can do is keep moving forward.

Got a hot cuppa tea. Lindor chocolates. Pyjamas. Rainymood.com. Time to get down to today's second round of editing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Go go go EM!

I made some more notes on my Christmas Creeper short. I think all I have to do now is figure out details about some characters, then write it, then edit it to death... Before December 24th. Eep!

Eh, it's only 3k... I can do that easily enough. :)

ETA: Got some characters worked out for the short story now. Trying to decide on a style to write the story in... Do I want it to be darkly funny or just dark?

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just typed page 20 of grandad's story. 7 pages to go! The end is in sight!

ETA: Wrote 700 words on my Christmas Creeper short. It's going pretty slowly so far, as in the plot is moving slowly, but I can fix that in editing. I think I'll still be able to pull it in under 3k by the end. :)

ETA2: Typed page 21 of grandad's story. 6 to go!

ETA3: Edited chapter 11 of WIP#1. Lost another 1k in the process... I think that's the last of the big chunks I'll be losing though. It's all because I changed the plot around a bit, so things happen in different places now, and some superfluous things used to separate the characters so they could talk about each other are gone. Instead, I have the characters arguing a fair bit in front of each other. Hopefully it's better now...

Anyway, I'm past the middle of the story, where everyone's together and working out what to do, and I'm coming into the end part, where things start getting sorted out properly. So yeah, I don't think I'll be losing huge chunks anymore. Which is good, because the novel is now only 58,123 words, instead of the 64k-something that it used to be.

Last edited:

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I edited up to chapter thirteen today. Time to take a break before I start on fourteen. :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
You're zooming through it, Cliff Face! Congratulations. Not long to go until you're finished your grandad's story. :)

Congrats, TNK! You're past the half-way point!

Brought my pages to work today so I can get extra editing time on my lunch break. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, getting through his story pretty quickly. But it's at the expense of my own stuff... The past 3 days, I've edited 1 chapter and written 700 words on my Christmas Creeper short. Not a lot of progress there.

ETA: Typed page 23. Only 4 more to go! I'm going to relax for the rest of the evening, do some reading. Tomorrow I intend to finish those last 4 pages. It's up to 18k now... So it might reach nearly 22k by the time it's done. Not quite as bad as the 25k I was expecting...

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read chapter 12 of WIP#1 in preparation for editing. I was right - I'm past the parts where I needed to cut things out. I may even add a little to this chapter... And it's officially the first chapter of this book whose first draft I actually really like. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up with a B in psych. :tongue I'm good with that.

I took a lazy day... Sat and watched 20 episodes of Soul Eater without stopping for more than food (and in that case I made it really fast and took it all back to my room so I can press the play button. :D)

Hoping to read tonight and try to do something somewhat productive tomorrow... Thursday and Friday are pretty much hopeless because my best friend's getting his wisdom teeth taken out on Friday morning and I'm coming with him so he'll, you know, actually show up... He's already freaking out about it. We're not looking forward to it.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, having wisdom teeth out sucks. When I had mine out, it hurt for a week or two afterwards. (It didn't help that I caught the flu in that time...)

He'll definitely need someone with him for the first 24 hours or so, I'd say.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there all morning and most of the afternoon, and then his mom'll be with him the rest of the time (along with his little twin sisters, who I'm REALLY hoping won't try to jump on him...). Wish I could stay longer though. =/

I was *supposed* to have mine out two summers ago. Never happened. Not quite sure why.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your wisdom teeth turned into vampire fangs? :tongue

Ugh. I've gotten NOTHING done today! After reading chapter 12, I just couldn't be stuffed editing... And so far have done virtually nothing else.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Almost spit my last little bite of popcorn on my computer screen. :roll: Thanks a lot, Cliff. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I live to serve. :)

Well, I've just typed a little bit of grandad's story. 1 paragraph, to be exact. Keep in mind, though, that grandad's paragraphs range from 8 lines to about 20 lines... And this one was closer to 20 than 8.

ETA: Page 24 typed. 3 to go! OMG, 3 left!

ETA2: Typed page 25 and part of 26 (long paragraph connecting the pages). So I now have slightly less than 2 pages to go! I may just finish this tonight, even after wasting half the day!

Not that I'll get anything much else done today, but still... Oh, and grandad's story just passed 20k. Meaning I've typed about 15-16k on it in the past week or so... Egads!

ETA3: 1/3 into the final page! Stopping now to cook dinner, but this thing will be over and done with soon. :D

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Cliff Face, don't leave us hanging! Did you finish it? :O

I didn't turn on my PC at all yesterday, and managed to get up to 168 pages edited. :) Past the half-way point!

Itching to do a corkboard of all the diffferent scenes so I know how to reorganise them, but I'm fighting the urge because I'll end up worried too much about the plot order.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't leaving you hanging on purpose... I only *just then* finished writing it. Finished! Woo!

It came in at just under 22k, meaning I'd typed about 17k on it this past week. *collapses into heap*

I think I'll spend the rest of the night reading. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
My procrastinating ended up working my favor. I now have some research to do on chemically removing memories and PTSD treatment using virtual reality.

And I thought I'd have to get rid of the freaky dream sequence interrogation I wrote into my novel. :yessmiley

Thank you Leverage writers and creators! I bow down to your superior knowledge in the art of screwing with people's minds. :Hail:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Congratulations Cliff Face! And TNK, it's always nice when procrastination works out in your favour. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks EM. :)

In other news, I'm nearly 2/3 through reading this book now. I'm hoping to get it finished tomorrow, which will put me back on schedule for my "read 2 books per week" goal. :)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Congratulations Cliff! That's fantastic :)

And TNK, that's great. I love it when procrastination comes in handy for a change!

I've been very slowly working my way through the Scrivener tutorial this week. I've used the program for a while, but without really getting into it, so it's nice to figure out some of the tricks I missed when I was mucking about on my own.

I also sent a story to my critique partner, so I'm not totally putzing about...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks bd. :)

Okay, it's a new day! Need to get lots done! I'm behind on editing because of all that typing, so I guess that's my #1 priority today. After I finish checking AW for the morning, I'm gonna have to get cracking. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
bdwilson and EMaree:

It's great. It was nice to learn what I'd written was not only possible, but is actually being done.

I usually listen to the Leverage podcast, and the DVD episode commentary because I love the behind the scenes info they give on the episodes. I learn all sorts of freaky stuff listening to those. :D