Contacting Your Local Newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Is that a flounce record?

Rickie, the website you link to in your sig is registered to a Robert Smith. A gentleman by that name is manager for an author by the name of Andy Andrews. Are you Mr. Smith or do you work for him?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Williebee,

I only say this because I like you.

Gentlemanly of you.

I wish that would help.

It would!

I could say that we work primarily with one of the largest faith-based publishers in the world.

Ah! Which one?

I could say that I have been a part of multiple New York Times Best-Selling books, both fiction and non-fiction.
#

Marvellous! Which ones?

I could even say that the authors I work for make hundreds of thousands in royalties each year from their book sales.

Amazing! Which ones?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't change the nature of this board. It seems that somehow I have made an enemy of Old Hack.

Nooooooooooooo

I came to this forum to try to help authors with anything on the business side that I could.

oooooooooooo

I now leave this forum believing, for the most part, that the authors abiding here truly just want to hear what they want to hear.

oooooo

Any different or new advice is cast aside.

ooo

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been observing here, but when someone asks what I consider to be reasonable questions and the person making claims refuses to answer, it raises my suspicions that they aren't all they claim to be.

Frex, legitimate agents will name the authors they represent and which specific books they've sold. Scammy would-be agents do not.

I'd be pleased to find my suspicions are groundless by seeing the answers to Williebee's questions.

Maryn, hopeful

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wish that would help. I could say that we work primarily with one of the largest faith-based publishers in the world. I could say that I have been a part of multiple New York Times Best-Selling books, both fiction and non-fiction. I could even say that the authors I work for make hundreds of thousands in royalties each year from their book sales.

You could say those things, indeed. But it would be more helpful for you to give us a few straight answers.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't change the nature of this board. It seems that somehow I have made an enemy of Old Hack.

I don't consider you my enemy.

I do consider much of the advice you've given at AW to be bad, sometimes to the point of being downright damaging to authors' careers.

If you answered my and Williebee's questions we'd know if you were being straight with us, and if the "author management" services you offer are worth the price you might be hoping we'd pay.

In my experience, "author management" services are usually only offered by people who don't know how publishing works and who hope to make money out of a few hapless authors. I hope you're not in this category, and can show us some real benefits to your services: why don't you come back and do that?

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
From an author's POV, I wouldn't want to hire someone who wouldn't willingly answer questions, and who so quickly became defensive and flounced off on a forum.

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
I have had success with county/local papers...they are always looking for down home success stories. Also, your local big 3 channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) are usually looking for the same type of stories for 3-4 minute segments on their morning shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.