Winter Olympics - sports discussion

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm still seeing a lot of dance elements in it (my sister used to be a competitive ice-dance skater). Pairs is more about large boys throwing small girls across the ice. This is still clearly dance to me.

That Russian routine was just beautiful.

It was but because of the required elements there is a lot less originality in it for me. You go back to something like Bolero or Mack & Mabel and those routines just wouldn't be possible now. They wouldn't be allowed. So for me a lot of the routines nowadays are more same old, same old.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Good lord, they're awful! LOL!

ETA: The Norwegian pants, not the Russians!

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It was but because of the required elements there is a lot less originality in it for me. You go back to something like Bolero or Mack & Mabel and those routines just wouldn't be possible now. They wouldn't be allowed. So for me a lot of the routines nowadays are more same old, same old.

Aye, that's a fair point. I haven't watched ice dancing for a while, because we were in the US for a few years and their Olympic coverage is utter pants. The required elements do stifle things a little. Ah, Bolero, now that was just amazing...and that pasa doble.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean. But Bolero is the one everyone remembers. Mainly cos it was the first routine to be marked Perfect.

Ah well, they call it progress I suppose.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hearing about a bit of controversy over in women's slopestyle. A Czech boarder had a nasty tumble and halved her helmet. She was out cold for a minute and then recovered and had attendants instruct her to ski the rest of the way down.

Trying to find an article on it or the name of the boarder but haven't had any luck yet.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the czech boarder on TV last night. I heard the announcer (US TV) say [paraphrasing] she insisted on "finishing" under her own power. ETA: link

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm hearing about a bit of controversy over in women's slopestyle. A Czech boarder had a nasty tumble and halved her helmet. She was out cold for a minute and then recovered and had attendants instruct her to ski the rest of the way down.

Trying to find an article on it or the name of the boarder but haven't had any luck yet.

I saw that and they didn't instruct her. She did it herself. She stood up with their help and said she was ok. No-one knew her helmet was busted until she took it off at the bottom.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the czech boarder on TV last night. I heard the announcer (US TV) say [paraphrasing] she insisted on "finishing" under her own power. I'll see if I can find a link too.

The Canadian post-analysis in this morning was horrified. Didn't catch what the announcer was saying as I don't have access to TV with audio (no cable package at home.)

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score

I saw that, but sadly I can't remember the boarder's name. It was gut-wrenching to watch. Her head hit the ground and then she was like a rag doll skidding down the hill. Once she came to a stop she started moving again, although she had to have blacked out for at least a few seconds. Was very, very surprised they let her ski down, even if she insisted on it. (Not sure if she actually did or not.)

ETA: You guys are fast! I could see that her helmet was cracked as soon as she sat up. Well, shattered, really.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The Canadian post-analysis in this morning was horrified. Didn't catch what the announcer was saying as I don't have access to TV with audio (no cable package at home.)

No-one was horrified at the time, not on British TV anyway. And the 3 girls in the medal positions relaxed when they saw her get up.

These things happen in snowboarding. Both of our commentators are involved in the sport and acted like it was bad but it was nothing unusual. And once she stood up and was talking they relaxed.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
No-one was horrified at the time, not on British TV anyway. And the 3 girls in the medal positions relaxed when they saw her get up.

These things happen in snowboarding. Both of our commentators are involved in the sport and acted like it was bad but it was nothing unusual. And once she stood up and was talking they relaxed.

Understand that in North America, two sports leagues have faced or are facing huge lawsuits regarding concussions (ice hockey and gridiron football.) There has been a lot of discussion on this issue about having players continue to play after they have had their bell rung and that is why the post-analysis I mention (which wasn't with people in snowboarding, mind you) raising the issue of letting her continue down on the board.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah I see. Yeah, I'd forgotten about the whole NFL/NHL lawsuit thing. Good job she's Czech then!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agreed with the announcers that the Czech should have scored much higher on her first run. It seems like the judges were obsessed with perfect landings rather than the difficulty of the trick. They seemed to score differently from the mens event?

The Kiwi rider also went down but not as badly, so of course our press is saying the course was too dangerous.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just caught a glimpse of the Canada-Finland women's game. Great to see such rapid development of women's hockey in Finland. They are really making the Canucks sweat!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Quite a few countries have put money into the women's hockey for this Olympics. The Russian women are expected to win by the Russian public for that reason.

I'm watching the curling. Both the GB men and women have lost to the Swedes today. But then they are the top teams.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Bilodeau become the second Canadian to repeat with gold (after the recently retired Catriona Le May Doan). Did a couple spectacular helicopters on the mogul jumps and earned a convincing 5.4% edge over the Canadian with silver. We almost swept the moguls but oh well.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! Caught the Russian speedskater who after her win in a race was about to rock her Joe Thornton out, but quickly realised she had nothing underneath her suit and quickly did an awkward recovery.

Last edited:

mjd88

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! Caught the Russian speedskater who after her win in a race was about to rock her Joe Thornton out, but quickly realised she had nothing underneath her suit and quickly did an awkward recovery.

Hahahahaha this reference is amazing.

For those who don't follow hockey: see this.