Bye bye Metrodome

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just watched the video of the Vikings stadium being demolished. Must have been a hell of a bang! Where's the new stadium?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
So not built yet?

I had a look on the NFL site and they'll playing at the University til 2016.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Minneapolisy created a whole department for this:

http://www.msfa.com/

Looks like it's going up right where the Metrodome stood. Not positive, but that page says they need to complete razing of the Metrodome to proceed with construction.

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, right where the Metrodome was. It was never a great venue, but I'm still going to miss it.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
It won a poll as America's Worst Stadium, didn't it?

I don't know about that, but it was pretty awful--noisy, ugly, and prone to collapsing in bad weather. Also, it was built as a dual-purpose facility (for baseball and football), but didn't suit either function very well.

I passed the site on my way to work this morning. Pylons for the new building are going up a few hundred feet to the east of the old one, which is now in tatters.

Last edited:

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
Built for football. Couldn't see a baseball for the white roof. If you sat down either baseline you were facing center field. Had to sit sideways in your seat. Good riddance...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I remember the roof caving in a few years back cos of snow.

Have they published the designs for the new one? Does it look good?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
There's a few pictures on the MSFA site I linked above. But we all know how different artist's conceptions can be from the final product.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It was a terrible place to watch a baseball game. Football was better, at least in my experience. But I only saw one football game there.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've just looked at the artist's impressions of the new one. It's an odd shape for a dome!

And that glass roof... how warm does Minnesota get in the summer? Will shadows and what not be a problem?

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've just looked at the artist's impressions of the new one. It's an odd shape for a dome!

And that glass roof... how warm does Minnesota get in the summer? Will shadows and what not be a problem?

Minnesota gets snow in July. I remember one year being there and getting a blizzard over 4th of July weekend.

OK that's not true. Summers are tough to predict. Some are hot and muggy others are cool and nice.