Status
Not open for further replies.

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
Don't remember who originally suggested this idea to me, but I love it, and figured I'd pass it on to those of you who've never considered this one. (Who knows, I may have found it on the boards here somewhere.)

I just started a pinterest board for my book http://www.pinterest.com/lionrhod/dark-moon-gates-willas-stuff/ and am in the process of putting things up on it.

I'm planning to put up things like photos of herbs and plants mentioned in my book, food and menus from any restaurants, pictures of the real life town I used in my book, clothes she likes or wears, witchy and faery oriented items, writerly gifts, since she's a writer and so forth.

I'll be curious to see what if any traffic it draws. Either way, it's fun!

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
I heard pinterest is a very powerful marketing tool right now. So why not? Please weigh in on how it goes. Very curious to see. :)

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I have a pinterest and it's more author driven than specifically to my books. I do have an album for most of my books. I don't go on it often. I guess I should! I would love more info on how others are using it to market their books.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I'm on Pinterest as well, but haven't been using it that much. I have a board for my book that has a collection of photos of the various settings.

The biggest problem I have with Pinterest is when someone follows me, and I'm only interested in a few of their boards. If I follow just a few of their boards, that doesn't count me as a follower, but I don't want to follow the person and have all their irrelevant stuff in my feed.

I'd be interested in hearing how others handle this.

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
How are you using it? I love pinterest and I use it most days, but I don't think it's generating any sales for me at all.

I don't just share my books, but I do pin every book that I publish. Additionally, if I write a blog post about a book, I pin that. If someone writes a post about my book, I pin that. I also write several "pinnable" blog posts each week to drive traffic to my blog. There are links to my books from that site, too. :)

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to remember with Pinterest is that your description is important. Never just put the title of your book. You want to describe the book if possible. When people search Pinterest for something, like "books on depression" or "zombie stories," the search will be more likely to turn up your pin.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anyone here having a Pinterest link in their signature ... I'd like to see some of your boards.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
My Pinterest

As usual with social media, though I've set up various book related things, I mostly use it as a punter, so it's full of fan art and pictures of space and recipes and idea for home improvement. The advice about describing the books is really useful. I'm off to tweak my descriptions :)

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Out of curiosity, if you follow all of someone's boards, then unfollow the ones you don't like, does it still count you as a follower, or just as it would if you'd only followed individual boards to start with?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Out of curiosity, if you follow all of someone's boards, then unfollow the ones you don't like, does it still count you as a follower, or just as it would if you'd only followed individual boards to start with?

Good point. It would probably count as a follower. I've just been too lazy to do that. :)

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I followed a few of your boards but I don't show up in your list of followers. See the first bullet point in this blog post that discusses the issue.

I see you, and I'm not even logged in. Scroll down. The top people are the ones who follow every board, while the bottom ones follow only a few. Goes from newest to oldest on each group. You're right after my friend JR, who was my first follower.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I see you, and I'm not even logged in. Scroll down. The top people are the ones who follow every board, while the bottom ones follow only a few. Goes from newest to oldest on each group. You're right after my friend JR, who was my first follower.

Sorry...I think I need a new eye exam :) Found it this time.

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
The person whose boards you follow will show up in your list of followers, but I don't think you show up on theirs unless you "follow all". At least, that's been my experience. Anyway, I gave it a test by following a few of your boards.

My profile: http://www.pinterest.com/kdoyleauthor/

You show up as one of my followers, but I won't show up as one of yours unless I follow yours. Following other people won't ensure that they follow you back. It's not an automatic process. While most people will thank you by following you when you follow a board, not everyone will.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
What a fabulous idea! I have a Pinterest account for myself for gardening, recipes and such, but I never thought to create one under my pen name for my books! Genius! :D I'm going to go set one up today! Thanks ECathers!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Pinterest, I guess for me, is still just a curiosity. Not sure how it could be used as a marketing tool.

Same as any other social networking site, really. You can get followers just from having something in common with them. Pinterest has better connectivity and visibility with random people versus people you know. And because Pinterest is a completely visual system (everything must have a picture and can link anywhere you want with two clicks [thumbnail > large image > site]), you're putting your cover out there to draw people in versus just text or an obvious sales link.

There are group boards that all you need is an invitation to pin to. For example, I follow a popular group board that has 15000+ followers, is open to anyone who asks, and is self-promotion friendly. If I asked for an invite, I could post there and pin a picture of and link to my book (if I had one). That's getting my book out to potentially 15000+ people with one picture. Any of them could repin it themselves if they were interested, spreading it to their followers. Or they could follow me and increase my potential fanbase. I could also pin sales and giveaways there to attract more interest.

There's also no private message system, so all communication on it is visible to anyone. By being open and friendly, you can build a positive platform for yourself.

By making boards related to your books in progress, you can get fans/followers hyped about what's coming soon.

There are probably other ways to market/promote on Pinterest, but that's all I got right now.

TL/DR: Maxwell likes Pinterest way more than is healthy. She is nuts, but Pinterest is just as good as any other social networking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.