Planning an author event

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of author events coming up, and I'm new to this. For each of them, I'm planning to read an excerpt from the novel and talk a bit about the writing of the book.

My question is, would you do the reading and then the talk, or vice versa? And what are the reasons for your opinion?

I'm especially looking for advice grounded in experience--either of attending or holding such events.

Thanks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you never been to an author event? If not, go to a few of them and see how they do it!

Most involve a few drinks and chatting (which gives people time to buy the book), then a brief reading, a few questions, and a few more drinks and a bit more chatting (so a few more people can buy the book, and get it signed). It might be good to vary the format a bit and do something a bit more interesting but usually, you have to factor in time for selling copies, signing, and circulating as well as for reading and talking.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to only one. I live in a small town. The event is in a couple of weeks, so I don't have time to track down author events to see how it's done. I've been asked to take part in an author day at a public library (definitely no drinks, at least not of the alcoholic kind), and I've been given 30 minutes for an author talk, 15 minutes for Q&A, and 30 minutes for book signing. So I'm asking for opinions about the 30-minute author talk.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
It's up to you, but consider that you need to first explain who you are, your writing experience, where did the roots of the story evolve from, then read a scene vs a blurb. Finally open for questions. Based on about a dozen events.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
It's up to you, but consider that you need to first explain who you are, your writing experience, where did the roots of the story evolve from, then read a scene vs a blurb. Finally open for questions. Based on about a dozen events.

Thank you, Michael. That's helpful.

kimcooper

Registered
Reaction score
Wherever you are, you can do some research by watching videos of author talks online. Many bookstores videotape these events.

I'd recommend this order: a brief, informal introduction to yourself and your work, an explanation of what you're about to read (assuming it's not the first chapter), the reading, then questions. And be sure to thank your hosts and audience first thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.