The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:
Sher, lets just say they came in the form of green, chocolate, and Kool-aid. :tongue

Pony is a beast of burden, he can hold us. Sher, wear something that will do the kill for us. LOL
Warning: Don't touch the Kool-Aid!

I'm shopping Friday. I don't know if I want to buy something guaranteed to induce cardiac arrest, though. I mean, that would take all the fun out of the shootout.
;)

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
ZaZ said:
Good question. Actually, I took it down yesterday and the website formally known as Bob's Web Toilet is on its way out as well. A full flushing is in order. It hasn't been updated in months and all those little telltale signs that change is necessary have been showing themselves.

I don't know if I will actually kill it or just hide it. For anyone who knoweth not what I speaketh of: http://www.geocities.com/candide_/rezzy.html

And now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of recently banned PAers, movie quotes and sizeable chunks of useful information.

"Fawn Leibowitz."

BOB! The toilet is *gulp* gone? What in the hell have you done? LOL..Seriously though just update the toilet and flush later! (Never thought I'd be the one to say that!)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
tinasamuels said:
Of course.... just don't be shocked at my toys :whip: :Ssh:
Nothing shocks me any more. Want me to bring some of my toys? I play well with others.;)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
You So Bad Sher;)

oh and...errr. PA sucks! (there, back on topic... bad me, bad me)

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
Warning: Don't touch the Kool-Aid!

I'm shopping Friday. I don't know if I want to buy something guaranteed to induce cardiac arrest, though. I mean, that would take all the fun out of the shootout.
;)

:tongue @ don't touch the Kool-aid. Is that why I'm feeling strange?

The plan is you step out as I make the draw with them :guns:-- then that would be 1 down, and 3 to go. We could finish them off easy!

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
tinasamuels said:
You So Bad Sher;)

oh and...errr. PA sucks! (there, back on topic... bad me, bad me)
Thank God, my reputation lives, unsullied. :roll:

And now let us chant our topical mantra -- PA sucks. Ohmmm. PA sucks. Ohmmm.

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
The real story is Larry, Miranda, Willem, and their little vanity press. Stay on task, people.
PA's loss of a major cheerleader is central to the story. Without him spouting the PA line and keeping folks in line over there, perhaps more PA authors will find their way out of the morass.

We can only hope.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:

The plan is you step out as I make the draw with them :guns:-- then that would be 1 down, and 3 to go. We could finish them off easy!
If you drank any of that stuff, yep, that's why you be feelin' passin' strange.

So, all I get to do is wear something killer? Couldn't I have just a little gun stuck in my garter? Just a little teensy one?
:guns:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
WhisperingBard said:
PA's loss of a major cheerleader is central to the story. Without him spouting the PA line and keeping folks in line over there, perhaps more PA authors will find their way out of the morass.

We can only hope.
Right on, sister!

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
If you drank any of that stuff, yep, that's why you be feelin' passin' strange.

So, all I get to do is wear something killer? Couldn't I have just a little gun stuck in my garter? Just a little teensy one?
:guns:

That'll work! :guns:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
WhisperingBard said:

We can only hope.

That's why I can't figure out what PA would get out of going along with it. Is it merely to divert attention?

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
WhisperingBard said:

We can only hope.
That is a major loss and the failed hoax turned many of the authors off and got them to thinking about the integrity of not only Shemp, but PA too. The question now, will Shemp resurrect as someone else and take up the cause or will he appear here in disguise? I also feel that we can expect an influx of “spy-ware.”

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
underthecity said:
Ann, you could do what Memory McDermott did with her book Tea for Two and put a notice in the reviews on the Amazon page. That would be a start.

Check it out here.

underthecity

Personally, I think this might be one heck of a killer nail in PA's coffin. If enough PA authors post or have posted by friends comments to the effect that their books weren't properly administered by PA and that readers should not purchase, it just might get the word out to even more new writers that PA is trying to suck in. Also, as long as those comments are out there, PA gets a black eye and might see through what's remaining that it just might be better to release your book without any strings attached.

As far as losing HB, it now falls to Miranda to make cutting remarks in their forum and threaten the authors to keep them in line.

Last edited:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
**** Disturber

writerjenn said:
You know, there is no hard and fast rule about what they delete, how they ban. Aston West was removed (a softer term than 'banned') for having a link on his WEBSITE to a messageboard they didn't approve of.

Of course, Aston has always been a little **** disturber..... :D

Ah, memories...

To be fair, though, I'd been banned before that point, and went back onto the board to try and sell books...that's a big no no, in and of itself. I think there was also some confusion amongst their newest employees who didn't realize they had to keep their "never again" list on hand at all times. So, needless to say, I was being watched from the get go (and even outed on their board by the infamous 'cb' persona...knower and seer of all personal information)...

Posting that link to my website was a convenient excuse for them...but the truth of the matter was, they didn't want me anywhere near their boards. We can't go around selling books, now can we? ;)

And of course, I'm a **** disturber...it's hard not to be with so much of it around PA...

WhisperingBard said:

Actually, if one were to think much about this, he was probably the cause of more people leaving the confines of PA than almost anyone else (save the Infocenter persona banning folks)...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
DeadlyAccurate said:
That's why I can't figure out what PA would get out of going along with it. Is it merely to divert attention?

I'm wondering if this isn't the magician burning some flash paper on this side of the stage so no one will notice the elephant walking on the other side of the stage.

I don't understand the motivation here, and I don't like that.

HB was irrelevant before. He's still irrelevant.

What is important now is putting more pressure on the house of cards in Frederick, Maryland. Eventually something will give.

Cut off the source of revenue by informing the unpublished writers out there what that company is all about. Put more pressure on them by informing the legal authorities of what you know.

Patience. Stay cool. Truth is on our side. Reason is on our side. The law is on our side.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
I know I said I wanted to get to know all of you, so I thought I’d start by telling you all a little something about me. I was born and raised in Utah. When I was four, I told my mom that I wanted to be a published author when I grew up. My mom thought it was just a childhood fantasy that I’d eventually grow out of. I’m thirty years old and I still haven’t grown out of it. I think I got my love of writing from my grandmother.

I started writing poetry and short stories when I was a teenager, but I never told anyone. I kept them hid for fear others would say I couldn’t write. There was one poem I wrote in junior high that my English teacher liked and hung it up for a month for everyone to see.

I didn’t start writing novels until I was twenty-four. It was after my ex husband left. He couldn’t handle my health problems, so after five months of marriage, he left without ever looking back. I write romance novels. My book, Druxel Manor, is a romantic suspense novel.

I know someone on here asked yesterday why some PA authors are happy with their experience. I can’t answer for all PA authors, but I can answer for myself. I had been submitting to publisher after publisher, and agent after agent. Publishers were telling me it wasn’t what they were looking for at that time, and agents were telling me they didn’t feel they could represent me in the best way at that time. Because of my health, it was taking a lot of my strength that a really didn’t have to keep searching.

Then I found out that my health is so bad that I’m dying. I have to have surgery and I’m on a long waiting list. I was told that I can die waiting for the surgery, or I can die while having surgery. If I live through the surgery, my chances of living a long and healthy life are higher. When I first learned about that, I thought my dream of being a published author was over because I no longer had the energy to keep trying and time was running out.

Someone told me they were Publish America and that I should try it. I had heard all the bad stuff about Publish America, but I did it anyway. I’m glad I did because if I do die, I have a piece of me I’m leaving behind for my family and friends, if not others. My dream is still to get an agent and be accepted by a publisher like Harlequin, but the chances of that happening are even slimmer now.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:
That is a major loss and the failed hoax turned many of the authors off and got them to thinking about the integrity of not only Shemp, but PA too. The question now, will Shemp resurrect as someone else and take up the cause or will he appear here in disguise? I also feel that we can expect an influx of “spy-ware.”
The hoax may not be the final nail in the PA coffin, but it certainly hasn't helped them any. Personally, I don't see how Shemp can resurrect as anyone or anything. He's cut his own throat and is laid up somewhere bleeding out as we speak. Half the free world knows the titles of his books. I think he'd be hard-pressed to peddle them now.

Thankfully, my spyware detector/antivirus software is up to date. I had a Trojan yesterday -- no, not that kind -- and it caught that sucker right away. Update!

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
Terra,

I totally understand your motivation for going with PA since you are faced with a life-threatening situation. One has to do their best to make sure priorities, goals, and dreams are met no matter what.
I have no idea how you must be feeling emotionally, but I can assure you that your legacy for your family and friends is intact and you will have many thoughts of encouragement and concern coming your way from everyone here.

Here's one now...:Hug2:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
tarra74 said:
Someone told me they were Publish America and that I should try it. I had heard all the bad stuff about Publish America, but I did it anyway. I’m glad I did because if I do die, I have a piece of me I’m leaving behind for my family and friends, if not others. My dream is still to get an agent and be accepted by a publisher like Harlequin, but the chances of that happening are even slimmer now.

Well, then, that's good, and PA might have been the right choice for you.

My best advice, though, is to write another novel and start sending it around to agents and publishers (Harlequin does take unagented submissions). While that one is in the mail, write another. And so on.

Best of luck to you, and here's hoping that you do get the surgery and everything turns out well. Who knows? I didn't sell a novel until I was 35.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
The hoax may not be the final nail in the PA coffin, but it certainly hasn't helped them any. Personally, I don't see how Shemp can resurrect as anyone or anything. He's cut his own throat and is laid up somewhere bleeding out as we speak. Half the free world knows the titles of his books. I think he'd be hard-pressed to peddle them now.

Thankfully, my spyware detector/antivirus software is up to date. I had a Trojan yesterday -- no, not that kind -- and it caught that sucker right away. Update!

I wasn't speaking of that type of spy. I was trying to say nicely that I think we can expect to have people come in who are not sincere. Which I'm sure is not a new thought here. I was just putting a differerent spin on it -- you make some valid points.

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Folks, I despise Shemp as much as anyone...

....but Uncle Jim is right. We need to stay on point here re PA, and here's why:

1. Shemp did something stupid last weekend and we think PA was complicit in it to boot. Okay, that proves both entities are bums and scoundrels, and we all knew that going in. If you get right down to it, last weekend simply confirmed what we already knew to begin with.

2. Shemp might've been their biggest cheerleader, but we're talkin' about someone who sells no books and whose only PR comes from writer's message boards. If you don't believe me, do a Google search on him - you'll get two or three pages deep before you'll find his own website. Were it not for boards like this, no one would know he's alive. He's a literary mosquito.

3. PA is trying to pull some pretty profound stuff contract wise, and not near enough focus/discussion has occurred re that. Writers who are getting these letters need to be one hundred percent sure of what they're signing (or not signing, hopefully), and we need to be helping them.

4. We're basically in a street fight with PA, and we've got them to the point that they're lying on the ground and we have our foot propped up against their throat. Let's not let them up off the mat now, we need to mash down harder. Facts, facts, and more facts, let's beat 'em like a whore's daddy.

Remember this - lots of new people are here who're looking for answers regarding PA. Telling them to go all the way back through this entire thread to find them is asking them all to undertake something pretty daunting. We need to be feeding good, useful information to our new friends here, they've not come to us in order to spend excessive amounts of time talking about a psychotic loser. Please, let's get back to our main purpose, to educate and help writers work their ways through the PA mess. We have fine writers here, and they deserve no less.

Last edited:

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
HB was irrelevant before. He's still irrelevant.

What is important now is putting more pressure on the house of cards in Frederick, Maryland. Eventually something will give.
Oh, but, Jim, didn't you know? It's all about Mr. Mucus. Didn't you get the memo? Just ask him. He's a legend in his own mind. Of course, we've always known he was irrelevant. He's the only one who wasn't in on that bit of knowledge.

Perhaps now that there are many disgusted PA'ers, they'll continue to put two and two together and realize Publish Anything equals five.

All is not well in the Land of Scamalot

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Wow, Tarra, :Hug2:! You're in my thoughts and I hope the surgery comes a lot sooner than later.

I don't think anyone here would fault you for your decision. There are certainly some legitimate reasons why a writer would want to go with a publisher like PA. There are a few other ways to get to the same goal (print it with Lulu.com or CafeShops instead, or take your manuscript to a local printer), but that's neither here nor there for you.

I'm glad you fulfilled your goal. Now let's concentrate on keeping you healthy so you can fulfull lots more of your goals!

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
1. I just read a copy of an email that could potentially be the hottest thing I've ever read regarding the currnet PA situation. If half of it is true, the New Three Stooges and Shemp are gonna be in somewhat of a pickle. More later.

Is this what I think it is? If it is, I've seen it too. It's quite interesting, isn't it?

Shemp - the rented jacka**! :horse:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:

Sher,

I'll have you know that I offered her the Kool Aid -- now you've ruined my fiendish plan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.