• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta needed for Short Story (1.5k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumi Long

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a short story that I hope to get beta'd before I submit it to a literally magazine. It's a very short read and is in the fantasy genre. It also has LGBT themes.

The story involves two mythical creatures and focuses on their relationship. I am looking for gut reactions, mistakes, suggestions, etc. Feel free to tear it apart because I want it to be decent before I even attempt to submit it.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Sumi!

Do you mean a literary magazine? If so, you'll probably want ot double check that they publish in the fantasy genre; most literary magazines do not.

You might want to offer to swop beta reads with other people, and/or to stick around and get involved a bit more on the board before asking for folks to help you. I'm sure you are a perfectly wonderful person, but we have had a lot of new members in the past just sign up, ask for beta readers or critiquers, never offer anything in return, and disappear once they've got what they wanted. So we are a bit gun shy about new members who arrive and promptly hold their hands out.

If you pop down to the Share Your Work subforum, in the Fantasy/SF section there is a thread where you can post the first three sentences of your story and get feedback. Give that a try? You can comment on other people's opening lines, you can get feedback on yours, and if your opening lines excite a reader they may well ask to read more and to be your beta reader!

Sumi Long

Registered
Reaction score
They do indeed publish fantasy. :) Previous stories have been in a fantasy genre but thank you for that! I will keep it in mind.

I apologize if I came across that way. I will go check out that thread you mentioned.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also suggest you edit your original post and remove your email address. Spambots will harvest it and start sending you endless amounts of crap! Folks can contact you on this thread, or send you a private message, if they're interested in beta reading for you. Via private message y'all can exchange email addresses. That's a much safer proposition!

Status
Not open for further replies.