• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a writing buddy (YA Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaded

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm looking for a writing buddy (if you couldn't tell xD) who is interested in critiquing chapters and small segments or paragraphs, bouncing off ideas with, providing support and other misc. writing aid & discussions, who would like the same in return.

About my WiP: I am in the process of revitalizing a WiP that I pantsed for a while because I loved the idea so much, but recently decided to outline and restart with more direction. It is a first-person YA Fantasy (I'd say Epic fits it well, but it contains mixtures of a few types) whose lead character is a 17-year-old girl named Rora. It incorporates some romance, friendship, LGBT characters, violence & war (a fair amount) and has a fairly large cast of characters. In the interest of space I didn't add a summary of the novel, but would gladly share more info to anyone who is interested.

What I would be best at critiquing : I've read a lot of fantasy, adventure, dystopian, & supernatural type of novels. I predominately read YA (or New Adult depending) and don't have much experience outside of that. Fantasy is by far my favorite genre. I'm open to most genres of fiction (I very rarely read non-fiction). So, while I am open about a buddies genre, these are the areas I have most experience with.

Critique Style In regards to someone critiquing my writing, I can handle fairly harsh criticism as long as it comes from a good place and isn't very rude. If it's constructive and will help my writing and novel, that's perfectly fine with me.
As for critiquing others, I suppose I would be able to adjust according to what somebody would want, but I tend to be on the harsher side if it's left up to me. But again, it's always constructive and I never mean to be rude.

Weaknesses: Grammar & passive writing (but I've gotten better!)

Strengths: World building, plot & characters

What I'm looking for in a writing buddy Some that writes in the genres I've listed, or at least enjoys YA Fantasy and has no problem with reading it and helping with ideas. Someone who is willing to spend some time in discussion, but who definitely doesn't need to be available 24/7. Gender doesn't matter, but I'd like someone whose close in age if possible. As for their novel, if possible I would like it to be a WiP, I'm not looking to just beta read, but actually help someone out with ideas and editing of an already formed idea or concept (I hope that makes sense).

A little about me I'm currently a college student with dreams of publishing. I'm 22-years-old, I love anime, reading (of course) and parentheses. I have a slew of fandoms that I love. I'm also very sarcastic, but I have only good intentions.

Sorry it was long, but I figured the more information I put the easier it would be for people to understand what I was looking for. If interested just PM me or respond here. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Fellow writer seeks writing buddy with penchant for anime, YA and...

Oh wait, this isn't a personal ad. D'oh. I'm interested. :D

Hi Shady (can I call you Shady, are we on a nick-username basis now?), I've been working on a YA Sci-fi novel about a group of children experimented on and each has their own powerful element to control. I'm not sure how you feel about Sci-fi, since you didn't mention, but I hope you're not against it. >_<

It's mostly finished though. I'm about 80% done, but I've stagnated at that point. I go through spurts of revision and editting but then I get distracted and put it down for a few weeks. I need someone to help kick me into high gear. But, while I'm not expecting a beta out of you for this book, I'm still rapidly coming up with new ideas and changes that will hopefully alter the second book. The second one, I've also already started (but also left alone for a couple months) and once the first is completed to a happy state, I'd like to then be at that stage of bouncing ideas off of you while writing.

What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.