• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Needed/Beta Reader Swap for Women's Fiction Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleythewriter77

Ashley
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a beta reader who is interested in reading a the third draft of a women's fiction novel that is 86,000 words. The novel is about a woman whose husband is a serial cheater. The book alternates between two perspectives, the wife and the husband's latest conquest, a recent college graduate who writes about the husband in her journal.

Like I said, I'd be willing to swap with someone else in similar genre-- women's fiction or contemporary fiction.

My main concern is that while I've gotten interest from agents and have had a few read my work, I've been getting mostly rejections. I do think the beginning needs some work but I've looked at it so many times I can no longer be critical. Any assistance would be great.

Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks,
Ashley

Edited to add my query letter:

The day Jack Colby was sentenced was the day that Abby Colby started over. As she sat in court and watched her husband walk off with the bailiff, she wondered where it had gone wrong. They’d fallen in love in college, married soon after, and were building a family. Now her husband was a fallen youth pastor, a womanizer, perhaps even a charismatic sociopath. And, as of this moment, a registered sex offender, convicted of sexual assault. Abby had no idea what lay ahead, but she was determined to move forward. What she didn’t count on was the whole thing happening again.

Colby’s Girl is a fast-paced, dual-perspective narrative that combines the drama of Helen Schulman’s This Beautiful Life with the psychological intrigue of Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl. Abby is the blindsided “good wife” who is picking up the pieces of her shattered life and starting again. Megan is the woman she didn’t see coming, a recent college graduate whom the reader comes to know through her journal entries, which focus almost entirely on the man they have in common: Jack Colby. Their tension-filled, dual narratives parallel one another, slowly revealing Jack’s duplicity and sociopathic behavior, until they dovetail in a climax that neither woman expected.

Last edited:

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a women's fiction manuscript that needs a beta reader as well. Mine is 110,000 words, and is the sequel to a book I had published this past summer, though it's written as a stand alone. Please PM me if you're still interested. We can see what the other needs and if we're a good fit for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.