• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for high-energy thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenC

Registered
Reaction score

I am looking for a beta for a high-energy thriller about a cold blooded killer and his teenage dancer wannabe daughter running away from their own curse, leaving all kind of messes wherever they go.

PM if interested.

MS first lines:
---------------------------------------------------------

There's no other way. I need to drive downtown with blood stains on my sleeves, in daylight, in a stolen truck with a corpse hidden among the potato cargo. I am in a hurry, but a coughing, smoking, 1970's engine isn't a fast ride.

It's almost midday. The tropical sun is hitting hard on the road, and this vehicle doesn’t have air conditioning. I am roasting like a chicken in a cheap rotisserie oven, wiping my sweaty forehead on my sleeve as if it makes it any better. I'll never get used to the weather here. It's been over twenty years since I moved here, and I still need to protect my skin from the damn sun.

The main street has three lanes in each direction. My way has one lane closed for repairs, one barely moving, and I am stuck in the jammed one.

There is no advance, no shade, no time, and all those damn horns are killing my ears. I clench the steering wheel and lean my head on it, gnawing it out of frustration. It takes all of my willpower not to get out of the truck and kick the first butt I find, but I can't afford to draw attention to myself. Inconspicuousness and a temper are not an easy couple.

A milk delivery truck hinders my sight. I stretch my neck out of the side window only to see one small, young cop redirecting the traffic three cars ahead. There is turmoil sixty feet behind him. I can only see blurry flashes of armed blue uniforms getting in and out of my sight. I can't make out what's happening, but meeting the police wasn't in my plans. I don’t have the truck's papers, and the corpse back there is starting to stink.

In precaution, I roll up my sleeves to hide the blood drops on the cuffs, then I notice the bloodstains all over my white shirt. Dressing white for killing, what was I thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.