• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM_Ramos

Registered
Reaction score
Everywhere (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Toronto)
Website
www.instagram.com
Availability: AVAILABLE FOR SWAP ONLY (as of Jan. 2, '15)

I need beta-readers for my own manuscript, so I can only swap.

My Preferences: Young Adult or New Adult - Urban Fantasy, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Paranormal, Chick-Lit, Women's Fiction, Horror, Sci-Fi.

Note: Violence is okay. I don't mind blood and gore if it is written well.

I will NOT read:

- Anything above 60,000 words (Sorry I just don’t have the time right now, and my own manuscript is quite short (it's a partial MS.)
- First Drafts and very rough manuscripts that are riddled with copious spelling errors (please clean up your manuscript before giving it to me.)

- Anything with graphic erotic content or profuse swearing. The occasional swear word is fine, but if there are F-bombs in every paragraph, then I won't read it.

Experience: I have a BA in English. I've Beta-Read for six writers already and they were all very pleased with my thorough and helpful feedback. I am also in Public Relations, so I have a solid background in communications and am equipped with strong grammar skills.

Style: I'm respectful and professional, but very honest. Therefore I will be gentle, but I won't sugar-coat anything.

I will read it thoroughly and make line-by-line comments/edits as I see fit. However, if you prefer that I don’t do line-by-lines, just let me know. Mostly, I will just focus on the story as a whole.
]I prefer to beta-read Microsoft Word documents. But if you absolutely insist on sending it as a PDF, message me and we can work something out.

Turnaround Time: 2 weeks (or less)

PM me if interested. Thanks!

Last edited:

beccajw2

Worshiper of the Krispy Kreme
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd join in. I hope I'm following the right format here:

Availability: Won't be available until August (2015)

Preferences: fantasy, YA, mystery, sci-fi, but I'm flexible

Length: Any. I'd like to think I'm a fast reader.

Style: I've beta'd twice before, which I don't think gives me much of a style yet, but I tend to focus more on plot and character rather than grammar and syntax, as I feel those things can be worked out once the big picture is set. However, I'm happy to review a specific section for grammar/syntax if you have concerns.

Contact info: PM me!

Swap: Something possessed me to do Nanowrimo again this past year, and I'd love to get feedback on it. 49k, fantasy, slightly Addams-family-esque. Looking for big picture notes, as I just don't know where to start with draft two.

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
If I become available again after it's been a while since my last post here, do I update that post or post again? o_O
*shrug* I personally didn't look back more than 2 pages.
Anywho:

Availability for Swap: Booked (haha get it) as of 3-17-2015

Preference: Some amount of fantasy/sci-fi elements present

My MS: It's a high-fantasy that currently comes in at 100k words. I'm looking for critique on just about everything.

Not Interested: Romance or heavily romance-driven (half or more of the plot revolves around or is driven by a romantic entanglement or interest).

Experience: Partial-beta'd several MS's, One full under my belt. A few crits in SYW.

Style: I make a lot of stream-of-consciousness notes, put down what I see, when I see it and what I'm thinking as I read. Can adjust the about of line-by-lines and the bluntness of my comments however you'd like.

Last edited:

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
**Attn: Plate's full for now. Will post again when I'm free.**

Taking a little time away from my own mss while I wait for people to read.

Availability: Now.

Preference: Anything but what follows below.

I will not read: Erotica, Chick lit, Romance, there's a trend here, so use your noodle. I also won't read anything that's filled with basic grammar and punctuation errors.

Experience: I have a BA in History and finished with a 3.98/4.0 GPA (I know how that comes across, but I don't get to mention it very often, so just let me have it). I didn't take exams in college, I wrote, I peer reviewed papers, and presented research. I'm extremely thorough, and I don't do anything half way. Obviously, I don't have experience in literature or publishing, but there's plenty of people here for that. I'll read your work as an objective reader not concerned about marketing or current trends.

Style: I'll go for big picture stuff mostly, but if I notice something in the structure, style or voice that keeps popping up, I'll definitely mention it in my notes. I'm honest without being snarky, or deliberately nasty. I genuinely like helping people with their writing.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
***Full again :(***

Availability: Full up for now.

Swap material: My MS is about 103K, historical fantasy - some explicitly violent scenes. It is the first novel in a series that is going backwards, chronologically. (i.e., the second novel is the prequel of the first, and the third is the prequel of the second), all three of which have already been written. It starts in Pittsburgh in 1846, and travels to Ireland. My publisher has already read it, and likes it, but wanted some changes (focusing on the fantasy aspect, for instance). This is the rewrite.

Preference: Scifi, fantasy, adventure, historical fiction, historical fantasy. I can do contemporary fiction as well, though I'm not as big a fan of that.

Not interested: Please no horror (I am an uneasy sleeper!). I'm not a big fan of pure romances, but I've read a couple and enjoyed them.

Experience: I've beta read on swap about 15 books or excerpts. I've read all my life, and used to use the library as a babysitter. I used to proofread doctoral dissertations and other research papers for pay (usually by students from foreign countries).

My style: I try to be honest but gentle. I will make inline comments throughout, and a summary at the end of overall feelings/critiques. I will try to address character building, verisimilitude, plot arcs, settings, etc. If I don't like something, I'll say so, and try to say why.

Turnaround time: for a 100K novel, about a week or so, depending on my workload.

Last edited:

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm Free to Swap. I have an 87K thriller that's been through a couple rounds of editing and beta reading, but it can always use another look.

Preferences: I'm pretty open, but I'm not interested in romance/erotica, or YA/MG. I know that removes about half of the potential beta partners out there lol. My favorite genres are: horror, mystery/thriller, and historical fiction.

Length: 100k or under.

Style: I can tailor my feedback depending on what you are looking for, how thick your skin is, etc. I'm equally adept at figuring out word choice (happy to glad) as I am at overall plot plot structure or character development.
In return, I have pretty thick skin and will gladly accept all constructive criticism.

Timeframe: Depends on how finished your manuscript is, but in the past, I usually get through 25 pages in 3-4 days (I do have a day job and other commitments)

Contact info: PM me

ptedt

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Free for Swaps. I have a finished novel of 80k that I believe has some parts that need to be cut out or seriously revised, but before I apply the scalpel, I'd like a second or third opinion.

Preferences: I like to think I'm open to all genres, but best to test me with a few chapters to see if it's something I can contribute to.

Length: Under 100K

Style: Can evaluate voice, tense, and various grammar issues, or can concentrate on plot and character as you wish.

Timeframe: Depends on novel status, level of detail needed, etc. but should be able to turn around something in two weeks.

Contact Info: PM me.

Last edited:

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available. Wanting to take a break from my own novel to beta someone else’s.

Preferences: m/m – any genre, the darker the better

Length: 100k

Style: My brain works best with line-by-line. Grammar, plot issues, pace etc. If I’m really struggling to continue reading, then I’ll stop beta-ing and explain my reasons. Maybe send first 5 chapters first so I can see if the story is going to be a good fit for me.

Experience: Published (mostly m/m erotic romance), English degree. Have beta read a few manuscripts in the past, but not for a while so I'm a bit out of practise

Timeframe: 2-4 weeks

Contact Info: PM

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to give this a bump because it seems to have died since the change to the website.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a post earlier in the thread, but as someone said, people don't generally go back more than a couple of pages.

Status: Currently available, but busy, so can't promise quick turnaround.

Genres: Science Fiction. That's it. Hard SF preferred, although I'm not religious about it.

I can be a little bit of a grammar Nazi, but mostly I crit on story flow, holes, inconsistencies. I'm honest and don't sugar-coat, but I try to be positive rather than carping. I assume you want the straight poop, or you wouldn't be going through this exercise.

Last edited:

dda27101

Banned
Reaction score
Posted here about 6-7 years ago. Time for update. Got 2 books with agent, publishers reading, 2 more books finished...so I'll take it easy for a few months (I guess).
Okay, I’m willing to do some reading, but first let me tell you where I’m coming from, my strength and weakness, and what you can expect.
- I’m an old (not quite that old, really) gizzard, done lots of research in my time (historical, political), read tons of crap and some great stuff, wrote mountains of analyses and reports, been around the world a few times, enjoy a trim narration and a strong voice.
- Don’t expect me to correct spelling and/or grammar (if that's what you need, you need an editor, not a beta); I will, however, suggest a stronger verb, a more explicit adjective (though I hate too many of those).
- I read for content and will point out holes in the plot (sometimes offer suggestions).
- I desire a “clean” work, not a first draft…. I’m not an editor.
- I won’t be good at: chick-lit, MG and/or YA, vampire/zombies/aliens/ stories, most horror, memoirs/diaries or cosmopolitan flamboyancies.
- What’s left? Historical (both NF and fiction, but no historical romance), military/action/adventure, thrillers (especially spy stuff), stories with international settings (Europe, the Middle-East, Africa and Asia), westerns (selectively), mystery/suspense/crime, well researched techno Sci-Fi (not fantasy).
- I would like to start with a query, a synopsis, and first chapter (okay, two if they’re real short).
- If you’re thin skinned, I’m not the right beta for you.​

Leema

Registered
Reaction score
Available now! (As of 2 March 2016.) Hit me!

Preference:
  • YA!
  • MG!
  • Lesser extent: Historical, women's fiction, crime/thriller, short stories.
  • There's nothing I won't read, TBH. If it sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

Not interested:

• Unfinished stories. I want to read a whole novel (start/middle/end), not bits of a novel.
  • Fantasy. I struggle. But can be convinced with a compelling blurb or with a story that only has fantasy elements.
  • Large pieces of 100k+. But can be convinced with a compelling blurb.
  • Non fiction (unless it's dog related).

Experience:
  • Read far and wide, beta read often. E.g. my Goodreads profile
  • A lot of dog knowledge. If you want a canine fact-checker for your novel, I'm the crazy dog lady.
  • A decent amount of medical/anatomical knowledge.

My style: I like 'big picture' things like setting, themes, plot, characters, etc. I will not do line-by-lines or help you with your spelling or grammar. If there are consistent problems, I'll point them out. (e.g. "You often use run on sentences" or "Be careful with their/there/they're".)

Turnaround: If I like your novel, I'll probably read it in a few hours or a few days from when I start reading. It rarely takes me more than a week or two to get feedback back to the person.

Swap?: I have a couple of YA contemporary fiction novels about young people in a fictional country Australian town. Reciprocal swaps are nice, but not compulsory.

Email preferred: [email protected]

Last edited:

tequila0341

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Now

Preferences: Up for anything but YA and romance. Would prefer to know how detailed a critique you're looking for before we get started.

Experience: Nothing professional, but I've beta-read for several Nanowrimo participants. I'm pretty good with grammar rules, word flow, and character analysis. I'm not quite as good at spotting plot structure problems. I have military experience (USMC infantry, deployed to Iraq) and have worked in finance for years. My last five books read: Reconstruction by Eric Foner, The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, Nemesis Games by James S. A. Corey, and The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi

Contact info: Email - [email protected]

Last edited:

clown

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Now.

Preferences: Fiction, including short stories and unfinished drafts.

Length: Any.

Style: Honest but gentle.

Commitment: I need to read the first chapter before deciding, but once I commit I'll send you daily feedback on the reading experience. At the end I will send detailed notes including chapter-by-chapter breakdown, comments on the plot, and character analysis. I will also be happy to line-edit specific sections, if you wish.

Timeframe: A full manuscript might take me 1 to 2 weeks depending on size.

Experience: Nothing professional. I routinely beta for friends, including some published authors, and they seem to appreciate my help.

Contact info: Send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail. If I offer no response, it might mean I'm getting too many requests.

bettybadA

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I may be new here, but I have been writing for sometime now. I love to read and will Beta everthing. Longer works will of course take time, but its all good.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Availability: NOT AVAILABLE - thanks for all the projects, guys! I'll be busy for a bit now. :)

Preferences: Sci-fi, fantasy, mythology, contemporary, crime... honestly, hit me up for anything. I write YA, but I read a lot all over the spectrum. However, whether adult or YA, don't ask me about anything sex-driven or send me any manuscripts that have those "sexy but unnecessary" sex scenes because, quite frankly, they make me uncomfortable and I'm going to Hell just for talking about this... (not really)
Most Important: Your work must be complete.

Length: Any. If you have something 100k+ it will take me more than a few days.

Style: I'll occasionally correct grammar or sentence structure if something keeps popping up, but I am more into character development, plot, and dialogue. I give my honest opinion, but you should remember that it really is just an opinion.

Commitment: I would love to read a partial first. This way we can both know you are getting the best beta experience you can get from me. After that, I will take the complete manuscript. I've tried chapter-by-chapter in the past and it simply didn't work for me.

Timeframe: Anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, depending on length and my schedule.

Experience: Nothing particularly squee-worthy. I took lots of writing/English/arts classes in college, I've been writing since second grade, and I've been beta reading since I joined AW.

Contact info: Send me a PM. I'll find it somehow despite the new site format, and we'll go from there. :D

PS: I dislike the beta-swapping culture as it stands lately, so please don't hesitate to contact me even if you think I'll bug you to read my own novel. I really won't.

Last edited:

sgcassidy

longue vie et de la vodka
Registered
Reaction score
Your post is a month and a half old, are you still looking for a 'beta' read to do? I have a thriller, 95k

AndyE

Registered
Reaction score
A PM is a private message, which is only visible to the person you send it to. It is a useful means of exchanging information (email addresses etc) which you might not want to post on a public forum. To send a PM, hover over the person's name and click on Private Message. Hope that helps.

alphabetsoup1973

Registered
Reaction score
Darklite I have a literary fiction manuscript with pretty dark humor that I need beta'd. Care to take a look?

stealingvowels

They're stealing our vowels!
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR SEPTEMBER. Will update when I have more time.

Preferences: Historical fiction, fantasy, literary. I have academic/work cred so far as historical stuff is concerned so I'd be happy to look over your manuscript for basic accuracy alone.

Length: Reasonable (not much more than 100k if you want a timely response), but if we get along well and establish more of a professional relationship you never know. I'm good at committing to deadlines, but I am also a full-time student.

Style: Whatever suits you. I have experience working professionally as a writing tutor, so I can line-edit if requested, but it will take me significantly longer. I would describe my beta style as honest but encouraging – due to the aforementioned tutoring experience, I try to keep things positive while still cutting to the core of what needs to change to make your work more effective.

I'm happy to do swaps but I also enjoy the beta experience for its own sake – it's up to you!

Last edited:

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Availability: I've got my projects. (This means not currently available.) If you sent me something and haven't heard back, it's just that I'm slow.

Preferences: Literary/mainstream, literary/genre hybrids, fantasy, sci fi that isn't too technical, interstitial, and quirky weird hard to explain things. I prefer writers who are hoping to traditionally publish, and so are working to get their books ready to query.

Style: I like to talk big picture, plot points, character development, style, voice. I have zero patience for grammar, syntax, spelling correction, so I can't offer line editing.

Experience: I have an MFA and two decades of professional experience as a writer and editor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.