Registered
Reaction score
你们好。。。 我想一个朋友帮我联系用中文。

Zenning

Brewing My Knucklehead
Registered
Reaction score
hi there,

Just dropping in to say, if anyone needed help with Chinese, I am able to give a hand.
Chinese is my native. I can speak, read, and write. I am fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese, able to write simplified and traditional (my native is traditional).

On the other hand, I need help with my novel that I have written in English. Though I've been speaking English for too many years to count, my writing, I was told, still shows my English being second language. So I am looking for native English speakers to beta-read.

PM me if you're interested!

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
I've been studying Mandarin for the last few years since I moved to Dalian in the Northeast of China. Definitely no where near as helpful as a native, or even someone who has studied formally for years, but I've been able to travel extensively here in China and other parts of Asia, and my Chinese mother and father-in-law seem to enjoy speaking with me more and more. That's gotta be a good sign, yes?

Chinese culture, modern and dynastic history, and the educational system here are some of my favorite topics I've researched and written about over the last three years, and might be able to answer any questions about them.

With a member base so vast, though, I'm sure there are a lot of native Mandarin speakers or Chinese citizens roaming around on here willing to help.

PM if I can help at all.

ClaireCold

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am native Chinese speaker.
I've published several fictions and articles in Chinese. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding to Chinese language or culture. :)

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping to find speakers of the Taishanese/Toishanese dialect. It's pretty difficult to find translation resources for this dialect, and there is no standard romanization system. But it would have been what my characters spoke (my book takes place in the 1880s in San Francisco), as opposed to Mandarin or Cantonese. So, I'm hoping for help with translating a few lines of dialogue (less than 10) into Taishanese and transcribing those translations into the Latin alphabet, according to the speaker's best estimation of how to transcribe them. Please PM me if you're interested and able to help! Thank you! :)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping to find speakers of the Taishanese/Toishanese dialect.

Hi, Stella,

You might have to try Google again. I'm not sure how active everyone in this thread is at the moment; we've been quiet for a while.

Anyhow, I came across http://www.taishan.com/english/ but wasn't able to access it via the work computer (lunch hour), so I can't comment on the quality or content. Proceed with caution?

You might also be able to get faster help with translation from http://ask.metafilter.com/275874/Chinese-Taishanese-translation-for-short-bits-of-a-news-report.

There's a few examples of the pinyin here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/9521-a-brief-intro-on-taishanese-台山/ but beware the swearing.

Btw, a quick question: how much of the dialect's pinyin (romanisation) must be shown in the story? You could always use the occasional dialect word instead of full sentences, etc. Would be enough to show Taishanese?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
大家好! 很久没有聊天,啊!你们正在怎么样、做什么、农历新年怎么过?来谈谈,吖!:)

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Snitchcat,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions! I checked out the links; the chinese-forums.com one was especially was helpful.

I was able to find a Taishanese speaker to help with the translation. :) There are only a few short lines in Taishanese, and I'd like to include the sentences in pinyin to preserve the sound of the conversation. Other languages are used this way in the book, as well. It's something I'm experimenting with!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
"Resurrecting" this thread. Been too quiet! What's everyone up to?

Hi! :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Good to see you back.

How were your travels?
How's the touching up going?

Golden week isn't far off. Hopefully there'll be lots of time to get things done.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The upcoming Golden Week is going to be... fun? What's everyone doing for that week?

(I'll be working. :) )

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fully Chinese. I went to an American school since I was 7 and have been living in the U.S. for the past 6 years. I'm a native speaker in both languages (and fluent in French), but English is actually my strongest language.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fully Chinese. I went to an American school since I was 7 and have been living in the U.S. for the past 6 years. I'm a native speaker in both languages (and fluent in French), but English is actually my strongest language.

Congratulations on retaining your Chinese! That's awesome.

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
Gearing up for Spring Festival here in China. That's one of the things I love about living here, too...Usually January and February are a bit gloomy back in my hometown - weather likes to take craps on people, holidays being over gets people down - but in China the festive atmosphere is just beginning.

If any of you are celebrating - Happy Spring Festival.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score

Nice! Welcome to the AW Chinese Family!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Gearing up for Spring Festival here in China. That's one of the things I love about living here, too...Usually January and February are a bit gloomy back in my hometown - weather likes to take craps on people, holidays being over gets people down - but in China the festive atmosphere is just beginning.

If any of you are celebrating - Happy Spring Festival.

Definitely gearing up here, too. It's a cold few days, but that's normal. However, waiting for next week when the celebrations really hit high gear; it'll be way more festive then. :) Happy New Year! Wishing you prosperity and fortune in the new year!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, have you checked out your sign's prediction for the new year, yet? :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
And we approach the final days of the mischievous Year of the Monkey! Up next, it's the precognitive Year of the Rooster!

In general, Rooster years or those born under this sign are "warm, generous, diligent, sociable and very capable speakers." (See this link.)

What will the Year of the Rooster bring? Planning? Kindness? Precognition? Well, depends on your own sign.

Whichever sign you are, however, hope you have a great New Year! See you on the first! :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
恭喜发财!
身体健康
心想事成 万事如意
工作顺利
财源滚滚
鸡年行好运

恭喜恭喜!