Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Nick!!! That's freaking amazing!! Way to go! :hooray:

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
As of tonight, Big Lake has sold over 102,000 copies on Amazon since I uploaded it May 22, 2011. I never imagined it would go this far.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00522RM48/?tag=absowrit-20

Nick, that's freakin AMAZING and awesome. And insanely cool! Congratz.

Ha. Sorry. It's been a bit crazy around the house so I couldn't post as much or get on line. I think my husband is checking as much as I was.

So when we went off the Free listing Run Like Hell was immediately ranked at like 158,000 and by the day's end it was at 21,000. The nice thing is that I virtually did nothing. No tweets, FB postings or any marketing about the book so the sales were coming from I don't know...momentum haha.

We'll see what today brings. But I'll be marketing it a bit more as well

Awesome. Can't wait to hear what today brings. I am curious about the freebies and how it translates into sales. It's really strange how this process works.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm experiencing about the same thing that Elena is going through. The tie-in short came off a freebie listing then the book really took off. The rank is still great and I didn't promote hardly at all for 2-3 days. I'm hoping its momentum or word-of-mouth. But I've also heard an internet promo guru say that if you stop promoting-marketing, it (books) will eventually climb and flat-line, no matter what.

My new blog is over three weeks old--has about 680 page views and nine subscribers. I don't really know what effect this has had on sales. The blog does contain teaser links and info on the book, but I don't blast it to death unless I have something meaningful to add or change.

Go Nick! Dang!

Tri

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elenaandrews.blogspot.com
Nick, that's freakin AMAZING and awesome. And insanely cool! Congratz.

Awesome. Can't wait to hear what today brings. I am curious about the freebies and how it translates into sales. It's really strange how this process works.

I'm thinking maybe all the activity of the Freebie (1000 or so downloads in a day as opposed to 15-20 sales) gets some sort of notice so when it's back on sale you have those who got it free and it shows up on their recent buys so others notice it too.

I mentioned how on Saturday it reached 21k. Yesterday it reached 2800 and sold nearly 70 books (both personal records). And I really haven't done anything by way of marketing since family is in town

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm experiencing about the same thing that Elena is going through. The tie-in short came off a freebie listing then the book really took off. The rank is still great and I didn't promote hardly at all for 2-3 days. I'm hoping its momentum or word-of-mouth. But I've also heard an internet promo guru say that if you stop promoting-marketing, it (books) will eventually climb and flat-line, no matter what.

My new blog is over three weeks old--has about 680 page views and nine subscribers. I don't really know what effect this has had on sales. The blog does contain teaser links and info on the book, but I don't blast it to death unless I have something meaningful to add or change.

Go Nick! Dang!

Tri

Yeah there was an article last week I think and the author mentions how he plays the game so to speak. Freebie, back to cost (sales bump) let it level off, do another freebie, back to cost (sales bump) let it level off and repeat again and again

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yeah there was an article last week I think and the author mentions how he plays the game so to speak. Freebie, back to cost (sales bump) let it level off, do another freebie, back to cost (sales bump) let it level off and repeat again and again

Yes, Elena, that's the formula. I call it "staggering."

I just hit the lowest rank top, 100 I've ever had, this morning. My publisher sent me a gushing letter. He's now sending sales figures every two days, and the sales numbers are climbing.

I forgot to mention something. My niece, who is personal friends with a TV celebrity, asked if she could announce my book on his FB page. Permission was granted five days ago. Now, it's quite possible that this had something to do with the incredible boost. Who knows?

Do you guys know any lime-light celebs? You know, it wouldn't hurt to politely ask if you could give yourself a little plug on their page. Not suggesting you do this cold and without permission. But it just might give your product a swift kick in the buttocks. I've never heard of doing this before, since I had no idea what my niece was up to. But I would highly stress that you use diplomacy and tact, for using such a device. I would hate to start a trend where authors are out there mobbing the famous for pixels on their blogs, pages and websites!

(Gawd Dog, I love this thread).

Cheers,

Chris

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, Elena, that's the formula. I call it "staggering."

I just hit the lowest rank top, 100 I've ever had, this morning. My publisher sent me a gushing letter. He's now sending sales figures every two days, and the sales numbers are climbing.

I forgot to mention something. My niece, who is personal friends with a TV celebrity, asked if she could announce my book on his FB page. Permission was granted five days ago. Now, it's quite possible that this had something to do with the incredible boost. Who knows?

Do you guys know any lime-light celebs? You know, it wouldn't hurt to politely ask if you could give yourself a little plug on their page. Not suggesting you do this cold and without permission. But it just might give your product a swift kick in the buttocks. I've never heard of doing this before, since I had no idea what my niece was up to. But I would highly stress that you use diplomacy and tact, for using such a device. I would hate to start a trend where authors are out there mobbing the famous for pixels on their blogs, pages and websites!

(Gawd Dog, I love this thread).

Cheers,

Chris

It is a fun thread, isn't it?

I don't know any real celebrs but it certainly is an interesting idea.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Now to get Stephen King to mention my horror short...
:D

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Now to get Stephen King to mention my horror short...
:D

Yeah, no kidding. I can see where a celeb author would really kick sales. Or having the President of the U.S. disembarking a plane with your trade paperback in the crook of his arm, wot?

40 copies sold in 12 days. I'll take it!

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding. I can see where a celeb author would really kick sales. Or having the President of the U.S. disembarking a plane with your trade paperback in the crook of his arm, wot?

40 copies sold in 12 days. I'll take it!

I just want the president to carry ME under his arm. Think Michelle would mind? =D

This is the best thread ever, btw. This one and the one in Romance writing which people talk about "who sold". =D I love reading success. It makes my my whole day.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
This is a truly inspirational thread. Congrats to all. You're pathfinders for the rest of us. I hope to self-publish in about a month's time and I've drawn up my action plan based on what some of you have posted here.

Rooting for you all.:)

The Hobbit

Registered
Reaction score
After writing for 10 or more years I finally published two of my books at smashwords last week. There's not been much in the way of sales but I'm excited to finally be at this level. I'm redoing the first book I wrote, updating it from present-tense to past-tense and editing it, but when that's over I'll be eager to move forward.

I'm also getting my stuff ready to print through createspace.

So yeah, it's not much but I'm super excited!

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
After writing for 10 or more years I finally published two of my books at smashwords last week. There's not been much in the way of sales but I'm excited to finally be at this level. I'm redoing the first book I wrote, updating it from present-tense to past-tense and editing it, but when that's over I'll be eager to move forward.

It's a start, and we all have to get started before anything else can happen. I wish you much success with your books.

ZaWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any big sales numbers yet, but my first short, a zombie story called "Smarter Than Them", just made it's first sale... It may not be 32000, but knowing that I've made a sale - any sale - feels pretty awesome!

My second short-for-sale, Ashley's Rite, is scheduled for release next Tuesday, and I'm busy working on a pair of novellas while putting my short stories out there.
Big hopes!
I'll be adding a more extensive success story to this thread in time ;)

The Hobbit

Registered
Reaction score
It's a start, and we all have to get started before anything else can happen. I wish you much success with your books.

Thank you. I'll start a post about them here eventually to help spread the word but my post count isn't high enough yet and I don't like to spam. The pages will be up when I hit 50 posts though.

ZaWolf said:
Well, I don't have any big sales numbers yet, but my first short, a zombie story called "Smarter Than Them", just made it's first sale... It may not be 32000, but knowing that I've made a sale - any sale - feels pretty awesome!

My second short-for-sale, Ashley's Rite, is scheduled for release next Tuesday, and I'm busy working on a pair of novellas while putting my short stories out there.
Big hopes!
I'll be adding a more extensive success story to this thread in time

Like Nick Russel said, a start's a start. Congrats and best of luck.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Za Wolf and Hobbit. :e2bear:

Good luck with your progress.

And put it in your sig line!

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Since the year started three small epublishers have picked up my stuff, and a fourth one is deliberating. By autumn 2012 all the picked up things should have been published and then I'll be able to give feedback on strategies and monetary returns.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Wolf and Hobbit: The progress will start slow at first and then build inertia. It takes some upfront time and dedication to get the word out there to the proper sources. It will come--I'm living proof of that. And I did so by following tips and suggestions in this thread.

Good luck and good journey!

Tri

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Big hopes!
I'll be adding a more extensive success story to this thread in time ;)

Congrats and keep us posted!

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website

It is very exciting. Good luck to you!

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wolf and Hobbit: The progress will start slow at first and then build inertia. It takes some upfront time and dedication to get the word out there to the proper sources. It will come--I'm living proof of that. And I did so by following tips and suggestions in this thread.

Good luck and good journey!

Tri

Tri is right. To be successful at this over the long haul, you must work at promotion every day. A lot of authors hate promotion, but that is what it takes to have sales. Would you open a store and not put a sign out front or advertise? I just wrote a blog post about my thoughts on promotion titled Are You Just An Author? I hear from many authors who want the success with sales that I have had, but who are unwilling to work to get those sales. Unfortunately, you can't have one without the other.

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
I've really been enjoying this thread and have been quietly celebrating with each of you as I've read through the pages during the last week.

Perhaps on a bit too personal note, I've had my medications jostled around lately by the VA and the last few weeks have been very hard for me depression-wise. I can't tell you all how much this thread has given me a glimmer of light to look forward to, even if I only had the energy to read 4 or 5 posts on some nights. That might not make much sense, but there it is.

Thank you all so much and keep doing what you love, it gives the rest of us hope.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Nick,

Great post! Left a comment. :)

I'm curious, though. You say you promote everyday, but I'm wondering how you promote. I can't find you on much social media (okay, so I stalked you a little...), nor on Goodreads which is where many authors find success, so beyond blogging (hopefully, you're not posting everyday about your book. :) ) what is it that you do for promotion? Guest posting on book blogs, interviewing, send out reviews, etc.? I also can't find you on many book blogs.

I'm really curious--you're our self-publishing saint! Ha! :)