• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Resplendence Publishing

Reaction score
ARe certainly do carry Ellora's Cave books.

One thing about Resplendence concerns me. Their submission guidelines say you need to register copyright with the U.S. patent office.

Uh...what? Why on Earth would one need to do that?

And does it stop non-U.S. citizens submitting?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I think Ellora's Cave did sell solely through their website for some time, and the move to start using other etailers is relatively recent (last few years?).

There's nothing to stop non US residents registering US copyright, as far as I know. There's an option on the website to select another country while registering online, so I can't see why it would let you get that far and stop you further down the line. There are advantages to registering US copyright, though probably not in a situation like this (there was a non-US author a while back who was plagiarised, but could only claim against the US defendant from the point where the book was registered in the US. Wish I could remember names! It was quite a big case, a romance author)

Of course, with Resplendence, they should be registering copyright, like most reputable publishers do.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Anyone can register a US copyright, but I don't think any authors should be forced to--and for a non US citizen it would be a ridiculous waste of money as they would almost certainly be unable to bring the kind of court case where US copyright is advantageous. I take this kind of requirement as a hint that a publisher is US-centric and feel they can tell authors what to do with their own money (e.g. the press is effectively charging the author a fee by requiring a payment that is otherwise optional and refusing to cover it themselves)

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ARe certainly do carry Ellora's Cave books.

One thing about Resplendence concerns me. Their submission guidelines say you need to register copyright with the U.S. patent office.

Uh...what? Why on Earth would one need to do that?

And does it stop non-U.S. citizens submitting?
Erm...a little off the mark there, I'd say...

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Bumping the thread. Michelle Paulin is a judge for a contest I'm considering entering. I was wondering if anyone has worked with her or Resplendence recently?

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything else about this publisher? Or been published by them?

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Has anyone heard anything else about this publisher? Or been published by them?

I've been considering submitting to them for one of their open theme calls. Right now I have so many stories I'm already working on I've had to put the one for them on the sideboard--it's not even on a burner right now, LOL--while I clear some other projects out of the way.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? You don't register copyright with the Patent Office, fer Pete's sake. Do they REALLY say that?

--Ken

Not anymore, thankfully.

Royalties currently listed as "35-40% royalties on all single-author e-books and 7% royalties on print books".

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
Their website is still up, but their latest releases include titles (most recently) from August 2017 and a few from 2016. Has anyone had recent contact with them?